Ck207

N400 Seattle (merged)

3,836 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
4 hours ago, nikgon said:

Yes, browse through my few recent comments in the history about the name change.

SSN card update is tricky. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01981

TL;DR: it's a pain in the elbow. Offices are not yet open, so you'll have to do it over mail. To submit the documents, you need to send them originals of everything: ID, naturalization certificate (or passport) etc. And they don't say how long they take (which means they take forever). So it's another way your documents are potentially going to get locked up somewhere for months with a possibility of loosing them.

Good luck!

Curious to hear experiences of others as well. 

What if you just don't change it until they open? Unless you are changing jobs and they ask you for the new SSN card,  however even when I got my green card I switched jobs and still didn't have my SSN card updated, my employer just took the one I already had. So not sure if there is a rush to get the new one, I'd just wait until they re-open, unless it's absolutely necessary go get it updated.

1 hour ago, TheyLoveMe said:

What if you just don't change it until they open? Unless you are changing jobs and they ask you for the new SSN card,  however even when I got my green card I switched jobs and still didn't have my SSN card updated, my employer just took the one I already had. So not sure if there is a rush to get the new one, I'd just wait until they re-open, unless it's absolutely necessary go get it updated.

My thoughts. I changed name and waiting for interview. And not willing to give GC or naturalization certificate until I have passport in hand. If anyone know an urgency, please share with us. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, MGMA said:

All, I added a gender column to the spread sheet, fill it out when you have a chance. Let's get some meangful stats out of it. 

This reminded me that I don’t think I’ve added myself to it. It’s super annoying to work in google sheets on my phone so if I messed up the spreadsheet I apologize. 

First Entered US with TN Status: 04/13/2012
Engaged: 08/24/2012
Married: 08/10/2013

Adjustment of Status from TN Status to Permanent Resident:
Day 00: AOS mailed by USPS priority Post: 05/19/2014
Day 02: AOS package arrived: 05/21/2014
Day 08: Text/email notice of acceptance: 05/27/2014
Day 11: NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 received, 05/30/2014
Day 14: Biometrics notice received with an appointment of June 17, 2914 at 3pm. 06/02/2014
Day 15: attempted walk-in successful after a very long wait 06/03/2014
Day 38: email notice that I-485 has moved to testing & interview! 06/26/2014
Day 77: EAD/AP - card production 08/06/2014
Day 84: EAD/AP card received 08/13/2014
Day 129: Infopass appointment for an update (very helpful!) 09/24/2014
Day 136: Email received with interview date 10/01/2014
Day 138: Interview notice received! 10/03/2014
Day 170: Green Card Approved on the Spot! 11/04/2014
Day 178: Green Card Received 11/12/2014

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Day 00: ROC Package (Weighing 1.7kg -- 3lbs 13oz) mailed by USPS Priority Post: 09/13/2016

Day 03: ROC Package Received: 09/16/2016

Day 07: Check Cashed: 09/20/2016

Day Too many to count: Received Approval 02/05/2018

NATURALIZATION

Day 00: Submitted file online for N400 -- 07/31/2020

On 5/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, TheyLoveMe said:

I don't think there's anything "urgent" about it. But, for example:

• WA DOL won't give you a drivers license in your new name before you get a new SSN card
  • Most banks won't update your credit card or account info into your new name without a new name on your drivers license
  • Just recently tried applying for a zoned parking permit and the city made it a big deal that names didn't line up (pretty clear they didn't design the process assuming people change names)

And all sorts of "paper cuts" like this.

So, is there urgency in the sense that you won't be able to live your life at all? No. Is it annoying as phuck because it's so dumb and slow for no reason? Yes.

Traveling is another potential issue. I know, you can theoretically travel on either name as long as you have all of the supporting documents on you. But even before the name change, I'd get searched by the TSA every other time I'd travel. I can only imagine it getting worse now.

Plus, not a single airline now allows me to link my trips to my mileage accounts because names do not match.

Are these all solvable problems? Yes. Do I want to deal with this nonsense? Hell, no!

Edited by nikgon

On 5/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, MGMA said:

My thoughts. I changed name and waiting for interview. And not willing to give GC or naturalization certificate until I have passport in hand. If anyone know an urgency, please share with us. 

You should definitely wait for your passport and cert of naturalization to arrive back. Part of the process of naturalization is updating your immigration status with the SSA to be listed as a citizen (it's on the same form as the card replacement). So no reason (and no way, actually) to submit the request before you get your interview and passport. So, you'll only receive your new SSA card in 3 months after your interview, at best.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline

I know people have been having a hard time finding available passport appointments. There are a few appointments available in Covington, Sumner and the Evergreen branch in Tacoma on June 21st! Was just able to snag one, thought I'd pass the info along.

Edited by kels430

2 hours ago, kels430 said:

I know people have been having a hard time finding available passport appointments. There are a few appointments available in Covington, Sumner and the Evergreen branch in Tacoma on June 21st! Was just able to snag one, thought I'd pass the info along.

Thanks, there seem to be a few options in south King county. Did you hear back about Oath ceremony? I'm wondering if it's going to be in Portland or Seattle, I have my interview in Portland next month. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, marofams said:

Thanks, there seem to be a few options in south King county. Did you hear back about Oath ceremony? I'm wondering if it's going to be in Portland or Seattle, I have my interview in Portland next month. 

You're welcome! I was relieved to find some, although I'm hoping the oath ceremony will be sooner and I am able to find a sooner appointment as we have scheduled to be out of the country in August. Still haven't heard anything about the oath ceremony, the account still says "waiting for oath ceremony to be scheduled" or something like that. Hoping it'll update this week. I know there are two others with Portland appointments this week too.

7 hours ago, kels430 said:

You're welcome! I was relieved to find some, although I'm hoping the oath ceremony will be sooner and I am able to find a sooner appointment as we have scheduled to be out of the country in August. Still haven't heard anything about the oath ceremony, the account still says "waiting for oath ceremony to be scheduled" or something like that. Hoping it'll update this week. I know there are two others with Portland appointments this week too.

Good luck, hope you hear back soon. 

8 hours ago, kels430 said:

hello.I am done my interview in Portland  today 5.24.21 and the officer offered me an oath at the same day.my appointment is 7.30 am and the oath taking at 2 pm..

11 hours ago, jolyn69 said:

Hello everyone. First thank  You Lord ..and secondly thank you to all visa journey members  who helping me a lot answering all my questions since  I started my journey here in the US.

I would like to share my interview experience in PORTLAND OR so i can give you some idea how it goes .Because my appointment is so early 7:30 am today (05-24-21) i decided to stay in the hotel. I arrived at 7:10  am so the security told me to wait 5 more minutes outside. exactly 7:15 they allow us to enter the building and check our belongings together with my interview letter. He  told me to go upstairs and stay in the waiting area. The immigration lady officer call my name around 7:40 .She is very nice and make me comfortable. she asking me my passport ,drivers licence and green card. Before she will start the test she offer me to take an oath if i will pass.

first civic test

-what month we vote for president

-what do some states have more representatives that other state

-we elect the representative for how many years

-who was the president during the world war 1

-what is the capital of your state

-what stop of government from becoming too powerful

Reading test

what is the capital of united states

Writing test

Washington D.C. is the capital of united states

Information about Me

-are you living same address on your application 

-are you still working at same employer 

-are you re marry (no) (because i am widow)

yes/no.

Have you ever claimed to be a U.S citizen 

Do you owe any overdue tax

The IO told me  congratulations . I takes only 12 minutes and I am done .She told me to  come back at 2 pm for my oath ceremony. We have 15 persons in the room and takes only 5 minutes. I am now a U.S. citizen .I am so happy and thankful that i took my oath at the same day so i  could not come back . Hope everyone  who are from Seattle and transfer to Portland have a good experience and Good luck.

@jolyn69Congratulations! So happy that you are now done with this journey and that you were offered same day oath. I will have my appointment tomorrow morning at 8:10 am, so I'm hoping for the same. Thank you for sharing your experience. :) 🤸‍♀️👏

Edited by LaLily

12 hours ago, jolyn69 said:

hello.I am done my interview in Portland  today 5.24.21 and the officer offered me an oath at the same day.my appointment is 7.30 am and the oath taking at 2 pm..

Congratulations! It's very good to hear that you got same day oath, my interview is also 7:30 in the morning so hopefully that will be an option too. I heard there is a cut off time for same day oaths in Portland. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Congratulations @jolyn69 and to all the others trekking down to Portland for interviews.  That's good news and encouraging to hear that at least same day oath ceremonies are being conducted, at least for some.  Although I can imagine that others on this forum who went to Portland and were not given same day oath are perplexed and irked they weren't given the options (I would be).  

I'm wondering if conducting same day oaths are a relatively new procedure in the last year.  I think that before the pandemic slowed down office procedures in the last 15 months, USCIS (across all offices) was only conducting same day oaths in very isolated and specific cases?  Then with the growing backlog in some offices (e.g. Seattle field office) they began to rollout same day oaths in a few offices to help expedite things and clear the log jam.  From what I gather from perusing the Portland N-400 threads, the same day oath was rarely offered in that office - even for Oregonians, unless coming from the opposite side of the state. 

Just wondering if same day oaths is something new for the Portland office, that they're just beginning to dip their toes into based on the success of other regional offices.  Of course, there could be other factors as well, for example they may have some newer employees (interviewing officials) that are not well versed on setting up the same day oath (?)...

It just seems from the context of improving efficiency and productivity that conducting same day oath procedures (or immediately following the interview) would be built into the entire interview package, just like the option to submit a passport application through the same system at time of interview.  

btw- Portland had great food, there are some really fantastic food carts and restaurants around the city, so that's always a bonus for the trip 😋

thanks again for the updates!      

Timeline
9 minutes ago, ghepardo said:

Congratulations @jolyn69 and to all the others trekking down to Portland for interviews.  That's good news and encouraging to hear that at least same day oath ceremonies are being conducted, at least for some.  Although I can imagine that others on this forum who went to Portland and were not given same day oath are perplexed and irked they weren't given the options (I would be).  

I'm wondering if conducting same day oaths are a relatively new procedure in the last year.  I think that before the pandemic slowed down office procedures in the last 15 months, USCIS (across all offices) was only conducting same day oaths in very isolated and specific cases?  Then with the growing backlog in some offices (e.g. Seattle field office) they began to rollout same day oaths in a few offices to help expedite things and clear the log jam.  From what I gather from perusing the Portland N-400 threads, the same day oath was rarely offered in that office - even for Oregonians, unless coming from the opposite side of the state. 

Just wondering if same day oaths is something new for the Portland office, that they're just beginning to dip their toes into based on the success of other regional offices.  Of course, there could be other factors as well, for example they may have some newer employees (interviewing officials) that are not well versed on setting up the same day oath (?)...

It just seems from the context of improving efficiency and productivity that conducting same day oath procedures (or immediately following the interview) would be built into the entire interview package, just like the option to submit a passport application through the same system at time of interview.  

btw- Portland had great food, there are some really fantastic food carts and restaurants around the city, so that's always a bonus for the trip 😋

thanks again for the updates!      

I'm definitely irritated that my husband wasn't offered same day oath but now I'm thinking it has more to do with the fact that his fingerprints were missing (not sure how when we did biometrics Jan 2020) so his file was probably considered incomplete. I have a friend who lives in Oregon who had her naturalization appointment in April and she was not offered same day oath but did have the ceremony about 4 days later. It's been 6 days since my husband's appointment and still no notice on scheduling.

Congrats @jolyn69 and good luck tomorrow @LaLily and @marofams!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.