pavoverde

Seeking mother-in-law to visit after our baby is born

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello! I am a US Citizen, my wife (from Costa Rica) has Permanent Resident Status. We would love to have her mother (age 60+) visit for a few weeks after the birth of our first child. I know she has to apply for a B-2 Visitor Visa and demonstrate she has compelling reason to return to Costa Rica. My question is if there is anything we can do on our end that may help her chances of being approved? Or, are there things we should NOT do that might hurt her chances?

For example, I'm thinking we could write a letter explaining we'd like her to meet her grandchild and help with our newborn for a few weeks. We have a letter from the obstetrician with my wife's info and expected due date on it. We would be willing/able to pay for round trip airline ticket and she would stay with us during the approx. 3-week visit. Do these sorts of things help in these cases?

Thank you for any advice you have to offer...   :-)

Our Timeline

11 Aug 2007 : Married in Costa Rica!

25 Nov 2007 : Received Marriage Cert with incorrect date :-(

03 Jan 2008 : Received additional evidence of Marriage from lawyer in CR; Waiting for official Marriage Cert to be amended

I-130

12 Jan 2008 : I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

11 Feb 2008 : I-130 NOA1

24 Feb 2008 : "touched"

06 May 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-130 NOA2

I-129F

05 Mar 2008 : I-129F sent to VSC

10 Mar 2008 : I-129F NOA1

28 Mar 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-129F NOA2

NVC

08 Oct 2008 : Wife rec'd "Packet 3"

25 Nov 2008 : K3 Interview at U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica - APPROVED!

26 Nov 2008 : VISA PICKED UP!!!

28 Dec 2008 : ARRIVED IN BOSTON!!!

I-485 (AOS) and I-765 (EAD)

20 Apr 2009 : I-485 & I-765 filed simultaneously

29 Apr 2009 : I-485 NOA

12 May 2009 : I-485 RFE (even though I'd sent all, so I just sent another copy)

22 May 2009 : Biometrics Appointment

29 Jun 2009 : Employment Authorization Card received!

24 Sep 2009 : AOS Interview (we rescheduled from Aug 11 date)

08 Oct 2009 : Greencard Received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Nope. Nothing in your life or your wife’s life will do anything for her tourist visa. There is no sponsoring of a tourist visa. She needs to prove on her own that she has strong ties to her home country. Jobs, assets, bank statements, family, etc. It all needs to be her own stuff and nothing you do will ever affect her chances. I would also add that having a daughter in the States is enough to raise suspicion that she might be at risk for immigration intent. If she doesn’t have enough strong ties to her home country, it might be very hard to get a tourist visa. 

I'd also suggest both

1) Not mentioning that she will be "helping with the newborn". This is considered work, which she is not authorized to perform. Yes, I know many people have done it, but people have both been denied a visa and denied entry on a visa for doing this. If the newborn requires care from somebody other than you (i.e. while you are away or working), then the stance is somebody who is authorized to work (i.e. a babysitter or nanny) should be performing that work (and it is work! That ## is not easy!).

2) Actually not engaging in said work as outlined in #1. It's not allowed anyway. Let he enjoy the stay and she can still spend time with the newborn. Just don't let her be a caretaker for the child.

Btw, congrats on the new addition!

Beyond that, nothing in an invitation letter or claims to support her will help. You can't help her get a tourist visa...she needs to qualify on her own.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Best to let her show that she can pay her own way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Wow, that's why I love this site! Thank you for the insight... very good information to know as we move forward. Thank you everyone!   :-)

Our Timeline

11 Aug 2007 : Married in Costa Rica!

25 Nov 2007 : Received Marriage Cert with incorrect date :-(

03 Jan 2008 : Received additional evidence of Marriage from lawyer in CR; Waiting for official Marriage Cert to be amended

I-130

12 Jan 2008 : I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

11 Feb 2008 : I-130 NOA1

24 Feb 2008 : "touched"

06 May 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-130 NOA2

I-129F

05 Mar 2008 : I-129F sent to VSC

10 Mar 2008 : I-129F NOA1

28 Mar 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-129F NOA2

NVC

08 Oct 2008 : Wife rec'd "Packet 3"

25 Nov 2008 : K3 Interview at U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica - APPROVED!

26 Nov 2008 : VISA PICKED UP!!!

28 Dec 2008 : ARRIVED IN BOSTON!!!

I-485 (AOS) and I-765 (EAD)

20 Apr 2009 : I-485 & I-765 filed simultaneously

29 Apr 2009 : I-485 NOA

12 May 2009 : I-485 RFE (even though I'd sent all, so I just sent another copy)

22 May 2009 : Biometrics Appointment

29 Jun 2009 : Employment Authorization Card received!

24 Sep 2009 : AOS Interview (we rescheduled from Aug 11 date)

08 Oct 2009 : Greencard Received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm not sure why people keep saying you can't sponsor a tourist visa.  We've sponsored my retired parents' tourist visas twice.  The last time was last year for my mom and we were in the exact position as the OP.  We sent her an invitation letter to come and meet her new grandchild, also had my OB write a letter stating I was expecting and indicating when the baby would be born since it was a planned c-section, a letter she was to the IO at the embassy stating that we would cover all her expenses while her and her return tickets plus 6 months' bank statements.  She got  her B1/B2 visa.  

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

11/18/2014: NOA 1

12/11/2014: Biometric Appointment

01/16/2015: NOA 2

02/27/2015: Employment Authorization Card Received

02/27/2015: Interview

03/09/2015: Green Card Received

Timeline
16 minutes ago, teshah said:

I'm not sure why people keep saying you can't sponsor a tourist visa.  We've sponsored my retired parents' tourist visas twice.  The last time was last year for my mom and we were in the exact position as the OP.  We sent her an invitation letter to come and meet her new grandchild, also had my OB write a letter stating I was expecting and indicating when the baby would be born since it was a planned c-section, a letter she was to the IO at the embassy stating that we would cover all her expenses while her and her return tickets plus 6 months' bank statements.  She got  her B1/B2 visa.  

Because that is not Sponsoring.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline
47 minutes ago, teshah said:

Can you provide a link to a US government website outlining how to sponsor a tourist visa?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Can you provide a link to a US government website outlining how to sponsor a tourist visa?

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ke/niv/information/required_docs  Basically, the additional evidence is what we provided.

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry I asked for a US government website (i.e. one ending in .gov).  The site you have provided is not an official site.

Reason being, when people say you can't sponsor a tourist visa, that's because there is no official government directive / guidance / outline / rule on sponsorship of a tourist visa.  They are correct when they say there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa.  It does not exist.  Unless there is a .gov website that I'm unaware of.

You have not sponsored a tourist visa (if you have, you would have an official document stating that you are a sponsor and what your obligations as a sponsor are).  Your documentation may have helped the application, but it's not sponsorship.

Edited by EmilyW

7 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Sorry I asked for a US government website (i.e. one ending in .gov).  The site you have provided is not an official site.

Reason being, when people say you can't sponsor a tourist visa, that's because there is no official government directive / guidance / outline / rule on sponsorship of a tourist visa.  They are correct when they say there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa.  It does not exist.  Unless there is a .gov website that I'm unaware of.

You have not sponsored a tourist visa (if you have, you would have an official document stating that you are a sponsor and what your obligations as a sponsor are).  Your documentation may have helped the application, but it's not sponsorship.

In fact, the official US site specifically says exactly the opposite of “sponsoring” a visit visa - that letters of invitation and affidavits of support are not taken into account in deciding whether to grant a tourist visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
10 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

That is the official US Department of State visa appointment service for Kenya.  Says so right at the top of the page unless the US embassy in Nairobi isn't part of the US government. You get to that page via the US embassy website in Kenya .  So yes, even though it's not ending in .gov, it's still official.  I however, FINALLY understand based on your explanation of "no official government directive...." why everyone is saying that.  I learn something new everyday!

AOS from F1

Timeline
17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

In fact, the official US site specifically says exactly the opposite of “sponsoring” a visit visa - that letters of invitation and affidavits of support are not taken into account in deciding whether to grant a tourist visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Yet the official US Embassy in Kenya website states that "If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all of the costs for your trip".

AOS from F1

Timeline

You said you were financially responsible, how?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.