51 posts in this topic

What could be the reason that others in the same field office are approved for their GC before me if they sent their application 2 months after me? I haven't even received my EAD and I get no response to my service requests. I contacted my congressman and he received a reply back that my application is within normal process time. But still, others are approved before me, who applied after me.
What can I do now? Just wait?

It would be helpful if you could fill in your timeline to be given the best possible advice.  It is also recommended that, while comparing other cases can give you an idea on processing times, don't get caught up in it.  If you are within normal timescales try to exercise patience.  It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

Edited by Etamkoos

Jlj4m8.png

10 minutes ago, Etamkoos said:

It would be helpful if you could fill in your timeline to be given the best possible advice.  It is also recommended that, while comparing other cases can give you an idea on processing times, don't get caught up in it.  If you are within normal timescales try to exercise patience.  It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

But all I'm asking is what the reason could be that others who applied after me, got approved before me? I don't understand what it has to do with my timeline....? I applied 2 months before them and they are approved and I haven't even received my EAD. It's the same field office. I'm just trying to figure out how the process works.

9 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

But all I'm asking is what the reason could be that others who applied after me, got approved before me? I don't understand what it has to do with my timeline....? I applied 2 months before them and they are approved and I haven't even received my EAD. It's the same field office. I'm just trying to figure out how the process works.

It helps others determine possible causes for a delay, such as if you had an RFE or RFIE (and when). Or to help see what office you are going through in case there's some kind of anomaly with that office (although not likely in this particular case). It also helps determine if you are outside the timelines for most people. Just because a few people were approved already does not mean that is a typical occurrence to be approved that quickly.

The EAD and AP are adjudicated at the NBC, not a local field office. It's even possible for the local field office to approve AOS before NBC adjudicates either form. While those forms are dependent on the I-485, they are adjudicated separately.

Some common reasons:

• They were lucky/you got unlucky. It happens...some IOs work faster than others, or have different priorities. Or they just grabbed a pile of cases way up in the queue (I recall a number of recent I-129F filers on 1 particular date getting approval notices months before anybody else).
  • You received an RFE or RFIE which must be responded to and reviewed before they can proceed.
  • The case is pending security checks.
  • Some documents need to be verified and they are waiting for the results.

Some less likely reasons:

• An RFE or RFIE was issued but the case status was not updated, so they are waiting for a response.
  • The case was transferred or even lost.
  • Their cases were expedited.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It helps others determine possible causes for a delay, such as if you had an RFE or RFIE (and when). Or to help see what office you are going through in case there's some kind of anomaly with that office (although not likely in this particular case). It also helps determine if you are outside the timelines for most people. Just because a few people were approved already does not mean that is a typical occurrence to be approved that quickly.

The EAD and AP are adjudicated at the NBC, not a local field office. It's even possible for the local field office to approve AOS before NBC adjudicates either form. While those forms are dependent on the I-485, they are adjudicated separately.

Some common reasons:

• They were lucky/you got unlucky. It happens...some IOs work faster than others, or have different priorities. Or they just grabbed a pile of cases way up in the queue (I recall a number of recent I-129F filers on 1 particular date getting approval notices months before anybody else).
  • You received an RFE or RFIE which must be responded to and reviewed before they can proceed.
  • The case is pending security checks.
  • Some documents need to be verified and they are waiting for the results.

Some less likely reasons:

• An RFE or RFIE was issued but the case status was not updated, so they are waiting for a response.
  • The case was transferred or even lost.
  • Their cases were expedited.

I applied in August. I have not received either EAD or GC. I have not had any RFE. I had my biometrics in September. The field office has been super quick with other cases even before I applied (I look at others history). So it just made me worry a bit when I see that others who applied after me are already approved. I understand that it is in normal process time but it is just weird that others being approved and I dont even have my EAD.

@geowrian So how does it actually work? Are the EAD and AOS first at NBC? The EAD is approved and sent out by NBC? What happens to the AOS? It is being sent to field office? As I haven't still got my EAD, does that mean that my AOS still haven't been sent to field office?

6 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Unfortunately, no one can guess - @geowrian  wrote a nice list of what it could be.  

Yes, I understand. But I am seriously confused as I had no RFE. I understand that it has only been 6,5 months since I applied but what worries me is that people who applied 2 months after me in the same field office already are approved and I don't even have EAD. Cheers for replying.

3 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Yes, I understand. But I am seriously confused as I had no RFE. I understand that it has only been 6,5 months since I applied but what worries me is that people who applied 2 months after me in the same field office already are approved and I don't even have EAD. Cheers for replying.

You can always give them a call and say you are  getting worried you might have missed correspondence from them...

9 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

I applied in August. I have not received either EAD or GC. I have not had any RFE. I had my biometrics in September. The field office has been super quick with other cases even before I applied (I look at others history). So it just made me worry a bit when I see that others who applied after me are already approved. I understand that it is in normal process time but it is just weird that others being approved and I dont even have my EAD.

The EAD (and AP, if you applied for that too) is out of normal processing timelines. Once you hit the 90 day mark, you can put in a service request on that piece (technically 75 days but they are virtually ignoring those at this point since most people fall into this category). No idea if it will actually help get it faster, but they do have 90 days as a goal (they're missing that goal many times, but they are supposed to at least try to get back to you after 90 days with an SR).

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/tip-sheet-employment-authorization-applications-pending-more-75-days

I wouldn't be worried at this point. Or more specifically, I don't think the delay is a sign of anything being wrong with your case. There are others waiting longer, and sometimes your case takes longer entirely through nothing of your own doing.

9 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

@geowrian So how does it actually work? Are the EAD and AOS first at NBC? The EAD is approved and sent out by NBC? What happens to the AOS? It is being sent to field office? As I haven't still got my EAD, does that mean that my AOS still haven't been sent to field office?

The I-485 packet is sent to the lockbox then routed to the local field office. The I-765 (and I-131) are sent to the lockbox then routed to the NBC. The I-765 would be approved at the NBC. The I-485 should be sitting at the local field office at this point.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

28 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

You can always give them a call and say you are  getting worried you might have missed correspondence from them...

I have already made sure that they have the correct address :( 

10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The EAD (and AP, if you applied for that too) is out of normal processing timelines. Once you hit the 90 day mark, you can put in a service request on that piece (technically 75 days but they are virtually ignoring those at this point since most people fall into this category). No idea if it will actually help get it faster, but they do have 90 days as a goal (they're missing that goal many times, but they are supposed to at least try to get back to you after 90 days with an SR).

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/tip-sheet-employment-authorization-applications-pending-more-75-days

I wouldn't be worried at this point. Or more specifically, I don't think the delay is a sign of anything being wrong with your case. There are others waiting longer, and sometimes your case takes longer entirely through nothing of your own doing.

The I-485 packet is sent to the lockbox then routed to the local field office. The I-765 (and I-131) are sent to the lockbox then routed to the NBC. The I-765 would be approved at the NBC. The I-485 should be sitting at the local field office at this point.

Thank you for explaining this. Someone told me that the I485 goes to NBC as well so I was just a bit confused....  I changed address 3-4 weeks after sending the AOS, can that have caused problems? Or put my case in a different pile? 

I sent 3 SR and they were supposed to get back to me within 30 days on each of them but they were not even looked at. 

Thank you for all the info. I just got a bit worried when some in the same field office are approved who sent their application 2 months after me. We are a military family and my husband is away right now. It is hard to have to deal with it alone. 

23 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Can I ask a related question, please? If I found that I need to send something else to USCIS for my AOS, where should I send it to?

1. Chicago: the place where we sent the initial package

2. Lee's Summit: the place where we sent our response to the RFE for AOS

3. My local office: since as @geowrian mentioned that the case should have been routed to the local office by now (I am 2017 October filer)

8 minutes ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Can I ask a related question, please? If I found that I need to send something else to USCIS for my AOS, where should I send it to?

1. Chicago: the place where we sent the initial package

2. Lee's Summit: the place where we sent our response to the RFE for AOS

3. My local office: since as @geowrian mentioned that the case should have been routed to the local office by now (I am 2017 October filer)

I think you have to wait until they ask you for it.... @geowrian please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.