2,268 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gambia
Timeline
17 hours ago, nywestq said:

Hey thanks alot, I had 24 trips equal to 401 days out the US all for work. none lasted for 6 months 

Okay you should be good then. I guess IO was just trying to make sure the dates outside are within the limits which they appear to be and possibly cross check with their databases. Som IOs are hawks and want to magnify everything but I’m sure all will be good and you should get your oath letter with the next two weeks after supervisory review.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well right now it's looking like I'm going to be the last one to get my citizenship. . . Just my luck to have one of the slowest offices in the country.

When I was at my Infopass appointment I asked about having my case expedited for employment reasons, and I was told I could submit my request in writing to the USCIS Dallas Field Office Director. It seemed very informal (no actual form to fill out, just write a letter).

Additionally, the week prior to my appointment, I mailed my Congressman a letter, requesting his assistance in expediting my case, and this week I did receive a response from his office, and they presented me two options, write the Dallas Field Office Director (just like I was told I could do at my appointment), or request his office to reach out to the Oklahoma City Field Office and have my case transferred there. I decided to try having my case transferred to OKC, but the next day (yesterday) I received the bad news OKC wouldn't be able to accommodate me.

So that puts me back to requesting Dallas to expedite my case, now looking at the list of criteria for expedition:

• Severe financial loss to company or person; - Not Applicable to me
  • Emergency situation; - Not Applicable to me
  • Humanitarian reasons; - Not Applicable to me
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States; - Asked my Sergeant on that one, and he said the Police Department is not really a 'nonprofit organization'
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.); - I'm Local Government, not Federal
  • USCIS error; or - Insert smart alec comment here, but not applicable to me
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

I think my only chance is Compelling interest of USCIS, which means it's most likely Officer Discretion (which I know all about). I informed my superiors of this setback, and they said they would write me letters of recommendation to attach to my letter to the Director, and have to me early next week (should I send originals and keep copies, or send copies and keep originals?).

Any recommendations on how to write this letter would be greatly appreciated, I thought about tweaking the letter I wrote to my Congressman, or should I write something else? Should I write to my Senator, Ted Cruz (one Canadian to another, eh!)? Ultimately the goal is Citizenship, which will allow me to become a Sworn Peace Officer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 hours ago, thinblueline said:

Well right now it's looking like I'm going to be the last one to get my citizenship. . . Just my luck to have one of the slowest offices in the country.

When I was at my Infopass appointment I asked about having my case expedited for employment reasons, and I was told I could submit my request in writing to the USCIS Dallas Field Office Director. It seemed very informal (no actual form to fill out, just write a letter).

Additionally, the week prior to my appointment, I mailed my Congressman a letter, requesting his assistance in expediting my case, and this week I did receive a response from his office, and they presented me two options, write the Dallas Field Office Director (just like I was told I could do at my appointment), or request his office to reach out to the Oklahoma City Field Office and have my case transferred there. I decided to try having my case transferred to OKC, but the next day (yesterday) I received the bad news OKC wouldn't be able to accommodate me.

So that puts me back to requesting Dallas to expedite my case, now looking at the list of criteria for expedition:

• Severe financial loss to company or person; - Not Applicable to me
  • Emergency situation; - Not Applicable to me
  • Humanitarian reasons; - Not Applicable to me
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States; - Asked my Sergeant on that one, and he said the Police Department is not really a 'nonprofit organization'
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.); - I'm Local Government, not Federal

I think my only chance is Compelling interest of USCIS, which means it's most likely Officer Discretion (which I know all about). I informed my superiors of this setback, and they said they would write me letters of recommendation to attach to my letter to the Director, and have to me early next week (should I send originals and keep copies, or send copies and keep originals?).

Any recommendations on how to write this letter would be greatly appreciated, I thought about tweaking the letter I wrote to my Congressman, or should I write something else? Should I write to my Senator, Ted Cruz (one Canadian to another, eh!)? Ultimately the goal is Citizenship, which will allow me to become a Sworn Peace Officer.

Instead of just glowing words from your supervisors, your department should make a point that they are short-handed, and that it is imperative that you move from a xxxx(don't know the word) officer to a sworn peace officer.  They cannot make you a sworn peace officer until you have citizenship. 

That way, it's not YOU, yourself, requesting the expedite - it's the Police Department.  I'm wondering if that will make it more of an "emergency".

You do live in Texas, you know.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 hours ago, thinblueline said:

I decided to try having my case transferred to OKC, but the next day (yesterday) I received the bad news OKC wouldn't be able to accommodate me.

PS - not to touch on a possibly touchy subject, but is your employer cooperating with ICE?  If so - that makes it even more compelling from a DoD or national interest situation....

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

man this is like sitting on pins and needles. I submitted my RFE well over a week ago. No update online or otherwise that they are reviewing my response or anything. This waiting game is killing me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, Sukie said:

Instead of just glowing words from your supervisors, your department should make a point that they are short-handed, and that it is imperative that you move from a xxxx(don't know the word) officer to a sworn peace officer.  They cannot make you a sworn peace officer until you have citizenship. 

That way, it's not YOU, yourself, requesting the expedite - it's the Police Department.  I'm wondering if that will make it more of an "emergency".

You do live in Texas, you know.

Sukie in NY

That is a great point, and since my Sergeant was enthusiastic about me trying for OKC first, and after discussing that with a civilian coworker, my coworker said the department probably don't want to make anything that sounds like a formal job offer without first going through the whole new police recruit vetting process (physical testing, background check, psychological test, polygraph, oral board), which I'm not too worried about--  I have a clean background, I meet the physical requirements, seem pretty sound, and my Sergeant said he would help me prepare for the oral board when I get closer to having it. However, I can't apply/go through the process until I have citizenship (hence the vicious circle I'm stuck in).

But you did give me some inspiration @Sukie to tweak my letter to USCIS and bring up the points you mentioned, look up some statistics on shortages of police officers and mention that (hence it could be an "emergency"). Then I can email a draft to my Sergeant and Chief to show them what I'm planning on saying to the USCIS Director and that might inspire them, rather then tell them what to say in their recommendation letters (and to serve a 'gentle reminder' to get their letters done, the Chief did say to stay on him [but I don't want to be a pest]).

17 hours ago, Sukie said:

PS - not to touch on a possibly touchy subject, but is your employer cooperating with ICE?  If so - that makes it even more compelling from a DoD or national interest situation....

Sukie in NY

As far as I know, not really-- I'm not really involved with criminal side of things. We are a smaller suburb department, not a major city like Dallas or Fort Worth, but I have seen USCIS vans around our jail (it's all one building), and I was told at somepoint secondhand that we rent out cells to USCIS for holding prisioners. But you also make a good point that I could bring up that I would be helping protection national interests.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gambia
Timeline
3 hours ago, cganesh75 said:

Just got a notification that they will schedule me for Oath ceremony. RFE response was sent 10 days ago. Until today they were silent and today they recommended me for approval. I will update when i have oath date

Congratulations. -1

Congratulations to our new citizens! And good luck to all the interviewees! Relaxing on vacation in NC right now... and looking forward to house hunting when we get back to Tucson! No word from USCIS but at least now that I have my 10 year green card we can look for a house!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

1 hour ago, Anabless said:

@CTgal18 Good luck on your interview! 

Thank you! 

🇺🇸N-400 Timeline🇺🇸 

2/02/18 Filed Online 

2/02/18 Application Received 

2/03/18 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

2/20/18 Biometrics Completed

5/04/18 Interview Scheduled

6/14/18 Interview (Approved)

7/10/18 Oath Ceremony Scheduled

7/26/18 Oath Ceremony

U.S. Citizen as of July 26, 2018! :)

On 6/8/2018 at 7:07 PM, shell20 said:

Have you checked online to see how often they have the Oath ceremonies in your area? I know the ones for my area are normally every third Friday of the month in one place (I think the courthouse)  and there are random  oath ceremonies in other venues, but these are sporadic as far as dates are concerned.

Hi @shell20 :) Here at Tallahassee, FL the ceremonies are held every 2 months.

There are 2 in July: July 4 and July 25

The next one is September 13

The last one for 2018 is November 15

Am feeling rather anxious because we are traveling overseas for Thanksgiving and it takes at least 6 weeks to get a US passport.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

3 minutes ago, marriedtomrg said:

Hi @shell20 :) Here at Tallahassee, FL the ceremonies are held every 2 months.

There are 2 in July: July 4 and July 25

The next one is September 13

The last one for 2018 is November 15

Am feeling rather anxious because we are traveling overseas for Thanksgiving and it takes at least 6 weeks to get a US passport.

Not sure it takes 6 weeks to get a passport, only took a week or so for my husband and his two sons.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.