myamericanboy

Getting married under Visa Waiver Program / ESTA with firm intention *not* to reside in US

17 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm posting this in the K-1 Fiancé Visa Process & Procedures forum as I'm hoping you folks might be able to share thoughts/experiences with regards to my situation.

I'm British and my boyfriend is American. We're currently living together in another country (not UK / US) and planning to spend the summer together in the US during which time we intend to get married and then apply for a UK spouse visa for him. As I will be in the US for just fewer than 90 days I'm thinking it'll be easiest for me to come in under the Visa Waiver Program (I still have a valid ESTA from my previous visits - all legal) rather than to apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa (which looks to be a lengthy and unnecessary process for us) and from what I can tell this is legal: https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/can-i-get-married-if-i-entered-the-united-states-under-the-visa-waiver-program.

We firmly intend to move to the UK together after the summer (I have a job to return to there) so I'm sure I won't need to go down the AOS route. As far as I can tell I should be fine coming in on the ESTA and being totally upfront about my intention to get married but not to reside in the US (we might live there together at some point in the future but not for the first 1-2 years of our marriage at least). I'm just wondering if anyone has experience doing this (getting married under the Visa Waiver Program / a ESTA with the firm intention *not* to reside in US - at least not immediately)? Were you grilled by the CBP officers when entering the country? Do you think I should bring some documents showing my firm intention and and practical plans to move to the UK at the end of the summer (e.g. job contract / letter from employer, draft of his UK spouse visa application form - which we'll complete and submit once married, etc)? I guess I should be fine but I'm a little nervous about being grilled / not being allowed through :unsure: I want to be super clear about my intentions and stay well within the law so that years later if I want to apply for an IR-1 Spouse Visa I won't have any problems or marks against my name. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experiences you can share! 

It's no problem at all. I got married whilst visiting on the VWP. Got married on a Saturday, left 3 days later. You do not need a K-1 to marry in the USA if you have no intention of staying. We also intended to live in the U.K. but it didn't happen for us (husband denied U.K. visa) but that's another story. This query crops up a lot, particularly amongst Brits, because non-EU passport holders need a visa to marry in the U.K. so many Brits assume they'll need a visa to marry overseas - not so for the USA.

You don't need to be "upfront" at the border about the wedding unless you are specifically asked. Never volunteer additional information to the CBP officers. Keep your answers to their questions as brief and direct as possible. If they ask if you are getting married, you must reply truthfully. If they make no mention if it, you don't need to either. 

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visas" to "tourist visas" as OP is not immigrating yet*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Hi JFH, thanks for this kind reply! So I guess if the CBP officers ask me about the purpose of my visit, I just say I'm visiting my partner and his family for the summer? And then if they probe, I of course answer all questions truthfully. What do you think about bringing documents just in case, would you/others recommend that? Glad everything worked out for you in the end! :D

In over 40 VWP visits I was only asked more than four questions on 2 occasions. All the other visits were:

- what's the purpose of your trip?

- how long are you staying?

- how much money do you have with you?

- what work do you do? 

Some visits didn't even ask that much. I came through Toronto once and I was asked "what's you final destination today?" I started to answer "Los An..." and he interrupted me "thank you - enjoy your stay". 

Its unlikely you will be asked anything more than the usual. It'll be just like any other time. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

From the US embassy London FAQ webpage 

If you will return to your permanent residence you may apply for a tourist B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.  At the time you apply for the visa and/or travel to the United States you will be required to show that you have a residence outside the United States that you do not intend to abandon. There is no set form that this evidence takes as it varies with each person’s circumstances.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Forget the B2 

Las Vegas Baby

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My spouse is a dual citizen from Canada and I got married 10 years ago in Vegas. We have the equivalent of the VWP in Canada.

Like you we had no intention of immigrating after the wedding. However, I was firmly aware with my spouse being dual it could open up a can of worms.

Best thing to do is bring proof of ties showing you have a job, place to live, etc (just in case). When asked about my purpose of the trip I just said we were going on a vacation. I felt a bit nervous as I brought my wedding dress with me on the plane (in case it got lost or delayed). Your case is actually a pretty easy one to overcome as I am sure you have many ties to go home to. If pressed customs is very good at seeing a situation for what it is. Try not to worry.

Thanks acidrain! :) I suppose I'll bring the documents just in case and yes they should be quite compelling if needed. I just hope it's ok to not mention getting married if/when the CDP officials first ask about the purpose of the trip (because if probed I'll of course be honest about what we're planning and then it might look like I was trying to hide/omit something in my first answer). Anyway yes the advice not to worry is good! 

You may certainly marry and return back home. Just be prepared to prove that you will return home. You also cannot just bring your new USC spouse into the UK, until you have completed the UK side of immigration paperwork. So be ready to deal with all of that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

You may certainly marry and return back home. Just be prepared to prove that you will return home. You also cannot just bring your new USC spouse into the UK, until you have completed the UK side of immigration paperwork. So be ready to deal with all of that.

Thank you yes we will apply for his UK spouse visa as soon as we are married - allowing enough time for processing before our planned move to the UK.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, myamericanboy said:

Thank you yes we will apply for his UK spouse visa as soon as we are married - allowing enough time for processing before our planned move to the UK.

Be sure and read the employment/salary requirements to qualify.  You have to work with the same employer earning £18,600 or more for 6 months or longer at the time of application. Since you may not be currently in UK employment, nor will be when you marry in the US, it's something to plan. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Many people with a CR/IR-1 visa got married while visiting the US on VWP or tourist visa and then returned home to start the process. It’s perfectly legal. :) However, since there are many people entering the US, getting married and then staying and adjusting, CBP can be difficult so I agree with JFH, be honest with CBP but don’t volunteer information. And you make sure you bring plenty of ties to the UK.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I recently went through this. We had no option to get married in my home country as same sex marriage wasn't legal there yet. I was prepared with a letter from my employer about my expected return to work, documents showing financial obligations and proof of return flights.

Needless to say I was overprepared.

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.