Amica Nostra

2017: THE YEAR AMERICA ABANDONED ITS LEADERSHIP OF THE WORLD

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.newsweek.com/2017-year-america-abandoned-its-leadership-world-766333

After President Donald J. Trump’s election last fall, many experts predicted that 2017 would be a tumultuous year for international cooperation.

During his campaign, Trump promised to “make America great again” by renegotiating or renouncing “bad” and “unfair” international agreements, and questioned the value of international institutions.

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Since January, Trump’s “America First” policies have seen the United States abdicate its global leadership role.

Yet, contrary to expectations, multilateral cooperation on pressing issues like climate change and migration has continued, as other states have stepped up to lead.

Despite all the tumult, the world has recorded several important achievements for multilateralism alongside the setbacks.

Climate Change

Trump’s largest blow to international cooperation came in June when he announced his intention to withdraw the United States from the Paris Climate Accord.

Early reactions suggested that other countries might respond in kind, reneging on their commitments and stalling overall progress on environmental governance. Nevertheless, this November’s climate conference in Bonn, aimed at finalizing aspects of the Paris Agreement, was a success.

GettyImages-810202758German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Donald Trump at the G20 economic summit on July 7, 2017 in Hamburg, Germany. The G20 group discussed climate change and migration.MORRIS MACMATZEN/GETTY

Participating states secured additional funding for climate initiatives and agreed to several objectives in the fields of agriculture, indigenous rights, and gender equalityin climate governance.

French President Emmanuel Macron, who has made combatting climate change a signature policy, hosted a separate global climate conference this December, raising additional funds to meet Paris commitments.

And while the Trump administration signaled its intent to abandon the agreement, many U.S. states, cities, and companies have stepped into the void, pledging commitments of their own.

The successes in Bonn and Paris, combined with near-unanimous international support for the Paris Accords, indicate that multilateral cooperation on climate change will continue without U.S. leadership, even if the politics look challenging.

Global Trade

Trump’s protectionist campaign positions suggested that global trade would take a beating in 2017. Experts warned of trade wars, predicting that a downward spiral of #######-for-tat measures could strangle economic growth.

In fact, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), global trade in goods and services increased, growing 4.2 percent in 2017, almost twice the growth registered in 2016. Despite Trump’s decision to pull the United States out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and threats to pull out of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), neither deal is dead yet.

The remaining TPP members revived the idea of trans-pacific trade at the Asia-Pacific Economic Partnership (APEC) summit in November, making significant progress without the United States toward what is now known as the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).

Even as extreme U.S. demands stall NAFTA renegotiations, U.S. public support for NAFTA increased in 2017, pressuring the Trump administration not to withdraw from the agreement.

While the United States has abdicated global trade leadership, the European Union (EU) has made progress on several important agreements of its own, notably one with Japan, encompassing countries that account for over 30 percent of the world’s GDP.

The EU-Japan agreement will reduce the ability of the United States to set world product standards and other regulations —disadvantaging U.S. exports in the process. In exercising his America First strategy, President Trump could actually hurt U.S. businesses.

Reinforcing this possibility was the disappointing December WTO ministerial meeting in Argentina, in which parties failed to reach any significant multilateral deals.

Migration

Trump has continually and publicly expressed negative opinions about immigrants, particularly (although not exclusively) illegal ones. He demands a wall between the United States and Mexico and has signed several executive orders attempting to halt refugee admissions, as well as ban immigrants from various Muslim-majority countries.

Nevertheless, international efforts to cooperate on migration issues have continued, notwithstanding certain setbacks.

In December, Mexico held multilateral negotiations toward a Global Compact on Migration, despite the United States withdrawal from the negotiating process. In November, the African Union-European Union summit saw both blocs condemn the situation of migrants in Libya and pledge to work toward a joint migration task force. All is not rosy, of course.

According to Amnesty International and other groups, EU governments remain complicit in the Libyan migrant crisis. Elsewhere, Australia closed a refugee camp on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea, while Bangladesh and Brazil struggled to accommodate influxes of refugees across their borders.

Nuclear Proliferation

Despite Trump’s decision not to recertify the “ terrible ” Iran deal, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) remains alive. Europe strongly condemned Trump’s decision, and along with China and Russia, pledged to remain committed to the JCPOA as long as Iran complies, even if the United States backs out.

Were such a breakdown between the United States and other permanent UN Security Council members (as well as Germany) to occur, the U.S.-led sanctions regime against Iran could well disappear as European, Chinese, and Russian firms deepen business ties with Iran.

The continued success of the JCPOA is also vital for the prospects of a peaceful resolution of tensions with North Korea. Indeed, some argue that the JCPOA could be a blueprint for a similar agreement with North Korea. By contrast, the United States would lose any negotiating credibility with North Korea if the Trump administration pulls out of the Iran agreement.

International Institutions

Global governance has held ground in 2017 in other, less publicized, ways. The IMF and the World Bank, unlike other multilateral institutions, have largely escaped Trump’s criticism. Although several senior administration officials have long histories of disliking the IMF and World Bank, savvy diplomacy by Jim Yong Kim and Christine Lagarde seems to have placated the Trump administration so far.

President Trump has also backpedaled on some of his criticisms of international alliances and organizations. After repeatedly calling the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) obsolete on the campaign trail, Trump deemed NATO “ no longer obsolete ” in April after meeting Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg.

Trump also toned down his rhetoric on the United Nations. In April he called the organization “unfair” and an “underperformer;” in September the president tweeted that the “United Nations has tremendous potential.”

(Whether this rapprochement will withstand the UN General Assembly’s condemnation of the unilateral U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital remains to be seen.)

America First’s Future

Looking forward to 2018, it is difficult to predict how Trump’s America First agenda will affect global governance, particularly with a notoriously unpredictable president. It is possible that Trump will continue to renege on some campaign promises.

Moreover, midterm elections in November could severely cripple his ability to pass nationalist-minded legislation. Still, he retains significant leeway, should he choose to use it, to undermine NAFTA, the JCPOA, and other international agreements through executive action.

Regardless of the president’s choices, his actions cannot overturn a fundamental contemporary reality—namely, that transnational challenges require global solutions. The lesson of 2017 is that other states are willing to step forward to fill some of the leadership roles vacated by the United States.

In pulling back from international cooperation, Trump is forfeiting the United States’ historically important role in shaping international norms and multilateral policies. Nations that are willing to pick up the slack, whether under authoritarian regimes (like China) or democratic leadership (like France), will shape international rules and institutions to conform to their own priorities, not necessarily American ones.

And they will not be eager to give up their new-found influence if and when the United States decides it wants the reins of global influence back.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I thought they did that in 2009?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

So all things positive things he did for America aren't considered positive things for other countries or for the globalist agenda?  I'm shocked!  

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Where is his Nobel Peace Prize?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

Trump’s largest blow to international cooperation came in June when he announced his intention to withdraw the United States from the Paris Climate Accord.

Is this all you've got????   I would be ashamed to post such garbage on VJ......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I think I just broke my scrolling  thumb while parking a truck in front of a golf game. Gonna go home and have 2 scoops of ice cream and a white Russian. 

More nonsensical garbage in lieu of anything of substance to post negative about Trump 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, missileman said:

Is this all you've got????   I would be ashamed to post such garbage on VJ......

hey now, there is a long-standing tradition of posting garbage on CEHEST

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

I would change the title to "2017: THE YEAR AMERICA ABANDONED ITS COLONIZATION OF THE WORLD (and stopped being the piggy bank of the world)" then I would write a reality based article to go with that title.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

19 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I think I just broke my scrolling  thumb while parking a truck in front of a golf game. Gonna go home and have 2 scoops of ice cream and a white Russian. 

More nonsensical garbage in lieu of anything of substance to post negative about Trump 

Nailed it.  It seems recently that every lefist created thread on CEHST is either openly anti-Trump at conception or eventually turns anti-Trump - this from the same people who complained that those on the right blamed Obama or Clinton for everything.  

Despite it all though, Hillary is still not the President.  

3/10/2013 - Married

05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, jayjayj said:

Nailed it.  It seems recently that every lefist created thread on CEHST is either openly anti-Trump at conception or eventually turns anti-Trump - this from the same people who complained that those on the right blamed Obama or Clinton for everything.  

Despite it all though, Hillary is still not the President.  

Praise be to allah!

17 hours ago, jg121783 said:

I would change the title to "2017: THE YEAR AMERICA ABANDONED ITS COLONIZATION OF THE WORLD (and stopped being the piggy bank of the world)" then I would write a reality based article to go with that title.

Or even "2017: THE YEAR AMERICA STOPPED BOWING TO OTHER COUNTRIES AND GLOBALISTS, STOPPED CARING ABOUT NONSENSE PC OR IDENTITY POLITICS, REASSERTED IT'S SOVEREIGNTY TO THE REST OF THE WORLD, AND STOPPED ALLOWING THE U.N. AND OTHER NATIONS TO USE IT AS A DOORMAT."

I do find it funny that the OP article confirmed, in a round about way, several of the great things President Trump did in his first year in office.

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
25 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

Or even "2017: THE YEAR AMERICA STOPPED BOWING TO OTHER COUNTRIES AND GLOBALISTS, STOPPED CARING ABOUT NONSENSE PC OR IDENTITY POLITICS, REASSERTED IT'S SOVEREIGNTY TO THE REST OF THE WORLD, AND STOPPED ALLOWING THE U.N. AND OTHER NATIONS TO USE IT AS A DOORMAT."

I do find it funny that the OP article confirmed, in a round about way, several of the great things President Trump did in his first year in office.

This was not a MAGA supporter post?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”