vjjmember111

B1/B2 visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Guys,

I am planning to apply for my Mom's B1B2 visa. I employed and have been employed over 10 years in US. In fact i am U.S citizen but don't wanna apply immigration visa to my Mom because she doesn't want to stay here long. She just wanted to visit on Visa. I am working in a renown company as an computer Engineer. One of the questions in DS-160 is that "who is paying for your visit?". So i said, i will be the one paying for her expenses. I have sent her my tax transcript, income and employment verification, bank statements etc.. so that if they ask she can show that i have enough income to cover her expenses while she is in US. Is there anything else do i need to send her for her visa interview? Also what kind of questions is asked at the interview for old people. Note my mom is already in her 60s. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You cannot sponsor her visa.  So everything pertaining to you is of no value.  She must show that she has sufficient ties to her own country.  Anything you sent will probably hurt her chances of getting a visa.  Everything has to be based on her own merits.

1. While you can fill in the DS-160 for her, she still needs to be the one to sign/submit it as it is her application and she's the one responsible for the accuracy of it.
  2. Your job and employment history has no impact on her tourist visa. You cannot sponsor a tourist visa. This is a commonly passed around myth, but an applicant must qualify on their own. You are can pay for the trip, but the income taxes, employment verification, income evidence, bank statements, etc. from you will not be considered.

As for questions, it could be anything. But typically it's along the lines of "Why do you want to come to the US?", "What will you do in the US?", etc.

What is really comes down to is showing that she will return home by the end of her trip and without overstaying or breaking any laws. They may or may not look at supporting evidence of her ties to her country, as most (if not all) of this type of information is available in the DS-160 itself.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

They usually don’t have issues giving people in their 60s 70s a tourist visa. They just gotta show ties to their home country. Properties, sometimes affidavits of family members etc. sometimes they don’t even ask for an interview for elderly people. 

I really appreciate all the valuable suggestions. I understand that i can't sponsor for tourist visa but just wanted to show them that i have enough income/resources to support her while she is in US. Again i could've submitted I-130 for immigration visa long time ago. 

My dad isn't coming with her since one of them can't leave home because of  younger daughter (my youngest sister). Also they have to take care of the property, agricultural stuffs etc. Would that suffice ties to home country? Actually my dad is planning to come here after mom returns home if she gets visa. 

Two of my sisters live in home country, another lives in Aus and me and my brother here in US. 

I know this iffing immigration system is broken. As a citizen, I can bring them in US in immigration visa.  They are simply trying to come here in tourist visa so that they don't have obligation to come here every year just for the sake of saving the status on GC. A tourist visa is valid for 5 years and they can travel in their own conveniences as they wish. 

Hope i am giving you guys all the circumstances i have and what do you think my mom's chances of getting visa? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

4 minutes ago, vjjmember111 said:

I really appreciate all the valuable suggestions. I understand that i can't sponsor for tourist visa but just wanted to show them that i have enough income/resources to support her while she is in US. Again i could've submitted I-130 for immigration visa long time ago. 

My dad isn't coming with her since one of them can't leave home because of  younger daughter (my youngest sister). Also they have to take care of the property, agricultural stuffs etc. Would that suffice ties to home country? Actually my dad is planning to come here after mom returns home if she gets visa. 

Two of my sisters live in home country, another lives in Aus and me and my brother here in US. 

I know this iffing immigration system is broken. As a citizen, I can bring them in US in immigration visa.  They are simply trying to come here in tourist visa so that they don't have obligation to come here every year just for the sake of saving the status on GC. A tourist visa is valid for 5 years and they can travel in their own conveniences as they wish. 

Hope i am giving you guys all the circumstances i have and what do you think my mom's chances of getting visa? 

US has one of the most liberal immigration systems in the world.  Where it is broken is that it is too liberal.  Anyway, too many people have abused the system and that is the reason everyone is looked at for immigration intent.

31 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

Depends on what which country.

nepal..?

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Seems like chain migration in the works..

Dad has B2, applying for mom, i-130 for siblings.

I-751 journey

@WeGuyGal, not sure if you understand the difference between Immigrant vs Non immigrant visa. I am not here to explain you all, just you know if i want i can apply for immigrant visa to my mom. So stay off of pointing like.. chain migration stuffs.. OK. Don't have any siblings on the process of migrating nor dad has tourist visa. 

Something that's been looked into

I-751 journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, vjjmember111 said:

You and your brother are currently living in the US...and you are filing the i-130 for another sibling, correct (based off of your previous thread)?  Right now it may appear that she has strong ties to the US (because of that) and will need to show stronger ties in Nepal at this point to be approved.

Home ownership in Nepal?  Does she work still?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.