itsdonealready

Minneapolis-St. Paul MN Office AOS Filers

863 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! AOS Question regarding MEDICAL EXAM!: 

My husband just received his interview day for mid-May. The letter mentions bringing your medical exam (I-693) with if it wasn't previously submitted, which I do not believe we submitted it as only the vaccination records were required, and they were submitted. He had his K-1 visa medical in the U.K. in January 2018, and entered the US on a K-1 visa in March 2018. He handed the IO the sealed medical exam envelope upon entering the country.  

Does anyone know if he will need a NEW medical exam to bring to the May AOS interview? 

Thanks for your help!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline
7 hours ago, ELTCBO18 said:

My husband just received his interview day for mid-May. The letter mentions bringing your medical exam (I-693) with if it wasn't previously submitted, which I do not believe we submitted it as only the vaccination records were required, and they were submitted. He had his K-1 visa medical in the U.K. in January 2018, and entered the US on a K-1 visa in March 2018. He handed the IO the sealed medical exam envelope upon entering the country.  

Does anyone know if he will need a NEW medical exam to bring to the May AOS interview? 

Thanks for your help!!

I just got an update that my interview was scheduled, thats an interesting question.

I had a couple of shots here that i did and sent it with the Aos application.

i do have a copy of it.

i dont think that we need other than that.

Good luck.

Sent : 26 April 2018

PD : 7 May 2018

Notif of interview scheduled email : 25 April 2019

On 4/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, ELTCBO18 said:

Thanks for your help!!

You will have to go to a civil surgeon listed on USCIS' website and get that form filled in and sealed. You can take it with you to the interview.

MSP April 2019 filer here so a long way to go. But I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience with obtaining a MN driver's permit and license.

We have our NOA1s for the I-485, I-131 and I-765. My wife's I-94 expires June 6. Since we are not expecting her EAD until August or September, she'd like to work on learning to drive this summer. She has never had a license or really driven at all. As I look at the MN requirements, it looks like we might have an issue. Her passport and I-94 are in her maiden name, her SS number is in her maiden name, her health insurance and joint bank statement are in her married name. And we obviously have the marriage certificate.

But DPS requirements say she has to have applied for a name change on her SS before they will accept it. But it's my understanding SSA won't change her card into her married name until her I-765 is approved. Is there a way around this so she can obtain her permit and hopefully her license this summer? Thanks for any insight!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
6 hours ago, pamawemo said:

MSP April 2019 filer here so a long way to go. But I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience with obtaining a MN driver's permit and license.

We have our NOA1s for the I-485, I-131 and I-765. My wife's I-94 expires June 6. Since we are not expecting her EAD until August or September, she'd like to work on learning to drive this summer. She has never had a license or really driven at all. As I look at the MN requirements, it looks like we might have an issue. Her passport and I-94 are in her maiden name, her SS number is in her maiden name, her health insurance and joint bank statement are in her married name. And we obviously have the marriage certificate.

But DPS requirements say she has to have applied for a name change on her SS before they will accept it. But it's my understanding SSA won't change her card into her married name until her I-765 is approved. Is there a way around this so she can obtain her permit and hopefully her license this summer? Thanks for any insight!

Honestly I've found the best thing is to simply go into the DMV and ask. They will not answer calls or respond to emails and information online is pretty contradictory. 

Just an FYI if she gets a license now, it'll only be valid until her EAD expires.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:21 AM, pamawemo said:

Do not quote me on this but I am pretty sure the marriage certificate is evidence of her name change in Minnesota. I would bring a certified copy to the DMV. The one located on East Lake St is very much familiar with all the intricacies of issuing documents to immigrants. I would go to that location. They are helpful. The officers there are either immigrants or married to one or simply people with diversity skills. Your spouse will not be able to take a road test there BUT at least, you will be able to ask if the documents you have are OK. They may even tell you where to go, etc. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. We will look into it!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

I just wanted to let you all know that we had out interview on Monday 05-06-19 and got approved on 05-07-19 around 5pm. Our lawyer was present. Note: We filed concurrently I-130/I-485 ourselves. We hired a lawyer to come to the interview with us to ensure we would be treated fairly and professionally. We arrived 10 minutes before our appointment, and checked in right away. It took about 30 minutes for the officer to call us. The officer called me (the petitioner) in first. This is common practice at the Minneapolis Field Office. To be clear, this is not the same as a Stokes Interview. He spent most of the time verifying the information on the form was accurate. Then, asked a few relationship questions. Maybe 5 or 6. I gave short but specific answers. I believe my portion lasted for 30-40 minutes.
We had front-loaded a lot of concrete evidence of bona fide marriage with our petitions; as Form I-130 requires. Our stack of evidence was heavy on commingling of finances since the day we met. I actually added my spouse to my car insurance 3 months after meeting. Of course, we brought even more evidence with us. We did not send affidavits or many pictures (about 20).
Evidence presented at the interview:

• 2018 joint taxes. (We had also filed jointly for 2017). 
  • Printout from employer's website that shows that I -the petitioner- pay ~$500 per paycheck for employer-sponsored benefits for both of us.
  • health insurance
  • dental insurance
  • vision insurance
  • life insurance
  • disability insurance
  • group accident life insurance,
  • life insurance ($750,000) - my spouse is the sole beneficiary
  • IRA Beneficiary Information
  • 401K Beneficiary Information
    • evidence that my spouse has online access to the 401K and IRA,
  • 3 most recent pay stubs from petitioner and beneficiary.
  • My husband is the sole beneficiary on every policy. It was all about the commingling of finances. The officer never asked for pictures or anything like that. We had sent a few with the petitions but it was just the two of us in the pictures. We are a same sex couple and keep to ourselves.

The officer was also interested in our work schedules. I had originally wanted to print our work schedules for the interview - as we have nothing to hide. Though, I really did not have time. It was not a big deal BUT I did think I had left no stone unturned and clearly, I had not.

The officer also pointed out that I earn significantly more than my spouse. He commented that I seem to pay for most expenses. My response was that I work hard and I enjoy providing. He asked us each other's salary. We knew them. We do not keep secrets at home. My direct deposit also goes into our joint checking account to which my husband has always had full access. No issues there. What's mine is his. That's how we run our household.

Long story short. The officer handed my spouse the standard letter most people get stating the case would be held for review and to wait 120 days before submitting an inquiry. Though, disappointing, we carried on. Then, the next day - Tuesday 05-07-19 around 5pm - we got the "New Card Being Produced" notification.

my thoughts to you:

• focus on concrete evidence of bona fide marriage; i.e., the money trail - evidence of commingling of finances and evidence of cohabitation, if you want a quick approval. Show plenty of evidence that ties you both to the same address as evidence of cohabitation.
    • If you live in Minnesota, you may include your Certificate of Rent Paid. It may seem redundant but such level of detail will reassure your Immigration Services Officer that your marriage is bona fide.
  • front-load as much evidence as you can with your petitions. Submit evidence since the day you met - not just since the date of your marriage. Otherwise, it may seem like you met on Monday, married on Tuesday and filed for AOS on Wednesday. Show them you have a history. The process is invasive. Don't fight it. Show you have nothing to hide and show them everything you have.
  • Be creative. The whole "We don't have a joint checking account because my spouse does not have a SSN"  or "I have not gotten the EAD/AP yet" is really not an excuse. It is in your best interest to not show up empty-handed.
  • Show deference for the process. Realize that spouses of US Citizens are ELIGIBLE to apply for Adjustment of Status but are NOT ENTITLED TO adjustment of status. Adjustment of status is a matter discretion and administrative grace.
  • Last but not least, dress professionally. Men - wear a nice suit and tie. Women - wear a suit, as well. As we were checking in with our lawyer, folks could not tell who the lawyer was or what kind of petition this was. By dressing professionally, and staying away from jeans and loud prints, you will command respect and drive the message home that you are an established marriage.

Those are my humble two cents. Everything we did, worked for us. and may work for you, as well. We got approved within 24 hours. In contrast, I have seen people wait for several months for a decision from the Minneapolis Field Office.  Do your due diligence and you will be fine.

All the best,

USC4SPOUSE

Edited by USC4SPOUSE

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Timeline
13 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

I just wanted to let you all know that we had out interview on Monday 05-06-19 and got approved on 05-07-19 around 5pm.

Awesome! Congratulations and time to relax now!

Also, you too seem to hit the '13-14 months for interview notice and 14-15 months for interview' mark. Hoping it stays that way... while slow, would still be consistent.

N-400

04-13-2022: Applied online; case received

04-15-2022: Biometric reused; case being actively reviewed

12-09-2022: Interview scheduled for 01-20-2023

01-20-2023: Recommended for approval, Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

01-23-2023: Oath ceremony scheduled for 02-16-2023

02-16-2023: Oath taken, naturalized, journey OVER!!

RoC

04-14-2021: Package mailed

04-16-2021: Package delivered

05-04-2021: Text received (LIN)

05-05-2021: Check cashed

05-07-2021: I-797 received , GC extended by 18 months

05-28-2021: Biometrics waived -|- Case updated to Fingerprints taken
06-04-2021: Biometrics letter received (dated 05-28-2021)

05-10-2022: New card being produced

05-11-2022: Case approved

05-12-2022: Card mailed

05-16-2022: Card received; also received approval notice letter

Marriage based AoS
07-14-2018: Priority date
07-31-2018: Biometric review complete
07-31-2018: RFIE (I-864 related)
11-29-2018: Case ready for interview; EAD card being produced
06-04-2019: Interview scheduled
07-11-2019: Interview; new card being produced

07-18-2019: Card delivered

I am very happy to report back that I had my interview in Minneapolis today and got approved right away. I took my baby to the interview along with my wife. Didnt ask much except for the date of our wedding and date of birth of child. The officer also made a comment that in addition to my I-130, I also had an I-140 petition on file which was confusing. I told him that I had applied through both marriage and employment. Other than that, nothing else came up. Thanks so much to everyone for your support. How long does it take from the time of approval to receiving the green card?

17 hours ago, nazgul said:

I am very happy to report back that I had my interview in Minneapolis today and got approved right away. I took my baby to the interview along with my wife. Didnt ask much except for the date of our wedding and date of birth of child. The officer also made a comment that in addition to my I-130, I also had an I-140 petition on file which was confusing. I told him that I had applied through both marriage and employment. Other than that, nothing else came up. Thanks so much to everyone for your support. How long does it take from the time of approval to receiving the green card?

Not sure about your question, congrats!!! Can you share your timeline please. When did you apply? 

1 hour ago, Colorred said:

Not sure about your question, congrats!!! Can you share your timeline please. When did you apply? 

Applied in April 2018. Took me 5 months and 1 day to get EAD. Got interview notice exactly 12 months and 1 day later. Was scheduled for interview another 4 weeks later (so 13 months from filing).

Timeline

Just throwing out another data point:

We filed early 2018. We got the EAP/AP card 4 months (and two days) after the case was received. Interview was 13.5 months after the case was received. Green card in hand exactly one week later. So our "package received to green card in had" time was 13.75 months for us. My wife adjusted from a B2 visa. Interview was a piece of cake and we were approved on the spot. 

Oddly enough one of my wife's friends entered on a K1 visa, had her interview 15 months after their AOS package was received, and they still waiting for the green card 2 months after their interview 😞 and apparently they got grilled pretty heavily during the AOS interview. Just goes to show how arbitrary this whole process can be.

Edited by RamonGomez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 4/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, ELTCBO18 said:

Thanks for your help!!

K1 dont need anymore medical as long as you submitted the sealed envelop at the poe. and its still under 12month only your vaccine shot is fine. 

K1 Visa

30 April 2018 - Received Date for NOA1

10 October 2018 - Notice Date for NOA2 (on I-797)

13 November 2018 - NVC received petition

19 November 2018 - Case Number Received!

27 November 2018 - In Transit

30 November 2018 - Case received by US Embassy Nigeria

15 December 2018 - Packet 3 received!

16 December 2018 - Scheduled interview

25 January 2019 - Medical Exam

01 February 2019 - Medical Result ready

07 February 2019 - Interview date and passed

08 February 2019 - CEAC Status Changes from "Ready" to "Application Received"

19 February 2019 - CEAC Status Changes from "Application Received" to "Administrative Processing"

20 February 2019 - CEAC Status Changes from "Administrative Processing" to "Issued"

21 Feb 2019 - Received e-mail/SMS to pick passport up

22 Feb 2019 - Visa and Package to be surrendered to US Immigration in hand

AOS

13 May 2019 - Package sent with USPS 

15 May 2019 - Package received my USCIS Chicago Lockbox 

20 May 2019 - NOA1 received from text!

22 May 2019 - Fees deducted from Bank Account

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.