Areaze

Returning to USA after 10 months abroad

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Going through said:

There is no guarantee of entry as a green card holder.

You will face extra scrutiny at the border, most likely, because of your extended stay in another country.

The fact that you took foreign employment while abroad is going to work against you as well, because it will look like you were setting up residency outside of the United States.

They won't care (or take into account) that you still have a valid drivers licence or valid SS card.

Do you have any proof that your extended stay due to health reasons was out of your control?  Was it your health in question, or you were the primary caregiver for someone else?

Doesn't quite work the way you are thinking...

My health in question. Let's just say in my country the medicine I needed is heavily subsidized by the government, compared to the USA where it can cost hundreds of dollars and even higher with no medical insurance.

Edited by Areaze
info change

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Areaze said:

My health in question. Let's just say in my country the medicine I needed is heavily subsidized by the government, compared to the USA where it can cost hundreds of dollars and even higher with no medical insurance.

Secondary isn't bad.  They'll lecture you, check your ties, and pass you through.  No rubber gloves or anything like that.  You'll be OK.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Secondary isn't bad.  They'll lecture you, check your ties, and pass you through.  No rubber gloves or anything like that.  You'll be OK.

Yes, I'm making sure I gather documents of medicine cost here and clinic letter/bills stating medicine I needed, etc etc. Also my USA bank statements showing that I didn't have enough funds to return to USA, so I needed to work here temporarily as an English teacher in order to get by.

Edited by Areaze

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Areaze said:

Yes, I'm making sure I gather documents of medicine cost here and clinic letter/bills stating medicine I needed, etc etc. Also my USA bank statements showing that I didn't have enough funds to return to USA, so I needed to work here temporarily as an English teacher in order to get by.

Are you serious right now?

You need to focus like a laser on gathering documentation of ties to the US and plan to answer specific questions truthfully and briefly about what you were doing over there. 

The last thing you need is to be entering inside a gray area window portraying yourself as a potential public charge (inadmissible immigrant)

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

Are you serious now?

You need to focus like a laser on gathering documentation of ties to the US and plan to answer specific questions truthfully and briefly about what you were doing over there. 

The last thing you need is to be entering inside a gray area window portraying yourself as a potential public charge (inadmissible immigrant)

Oh, so I shouldn't mention the reason for having to get temp work here?

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Areaze said:

You should definitely mention it if they ask.  Delayed by health issues is a common reason to extend a trip and I believe that is what you originally said.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

You should definitely mention it if they ask.  Delayed by health issues is a common reason to extend a trip and I believe that is what you originally said.

Yes,  I had my return ticket back 2 months after I departed for my country actually. But I had to get a medical check up 3 months after, so I chose to stay as it saved so much on medical bills and the actual medicine. I chose to stay up to 10 months because 4 months after I got a temp teaching job for 6 months, helped to support myself.

From the beginning and even after accepting the job my intent was always temporary, with permanent intent of actually residing in the USA after, as all my family is there. I think that has weight right?

Edited by Areaze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Reasons seem financial not medical. You can not be refused entry, you could end up in front of an IJ.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Have a copy of all the documents that show your ties to the US. 

When you come back and file for tax, make sure that you include your income for your temporary job. This will help you when you apply for the citizenship. 

Bring a copy of your medical report. 

Do not volunteer informations, just answer the questions truthly if you will be asked.

You dont need SB 1 visa because  you will come back before 1 year period.

Good Luck  

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, Areaze said:

You will be fine, bring documents showing that you had health problems, and if they ask if you worked then tell that you worked because you need to have funds to return to the U.S.

I went to the UK for a week-long visit to see my family and even that apparently warranted a grilling from CBP. Do they think the US is our prison now?

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

I would think most government subsidized health care requires someone to be a resident of that country....  Canada at the very least, requires proof of residency... 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

46 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I would think most government subsidized health care requires someone to be a resident of that country....  Canada at the very least, requires proof of residency... 

That's probably why he took a job. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ketsuban said:

I went to the UK for a week-long visit to see my family and even that apparently warranted a grilling from CBP. Do they think the US is our prison now?

LOL.....I got grilled in the UK last summer.  I don't know why.  You got grilled because y'all talk funny....LOL

Love the UK dude.  It was great.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.