mathewax123

Is it a bad idea to adjust status after a tourist visa renewal?

60 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MeAlone said:

Come to visit your family, see what is it about your Application, let them apply for you, it doesn't mean YOU are committing a fraud, your family is free to file when and what they want to. Stay on your tourist visa while legal, maybe extend it for 6 months more, study your options and then, if you are able to adjust your status without leaving, decide if you do it in US or travel back to your country and process your family based visa from there

No no no...

Adjustment of status is not done by a family member, it is submitted by the person trying to change their status, aka the OP.  Anything other than intending to leave the usa at the end of the trip at poe by the OP is fraud.  This isnt "i may change my mind and thats okay" because it isnt.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In no particular order:

• There is no evidence to suggest his Mother has any status in the US other than visitor possibly overstayed.
  • Lets say she does or has married a USC it will be say a year before she could get a GC.
  • No immediate visa available and he will likely age out so would be a loooong time before he could immigrate.
  • The most practical route if his mother intends to wed would for her to go through K1 and he could be a K2, OK to 21.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
16 hours ago, mathewax123 said:

Hey I just needed confirmation that it was a bad idea to travel to the U.S, as a tourist, in a newly renewed B-2 visa (which required an interview) in order to adjust status for a green card, practically filling a 485 as soon as I arrive. Something tells me this is a bad idea but I'm being pressured to travel and try it. Since according to this page https://www.hooyou.com/familybased/exceptions.html , it is bad because in my interview, I practically made them understand that I had no intentions, whatsoever of emigrating to the U.S permanently because of my home ties, studies, relationships, etc. And by filling a 485 as soon as I get there would raise a red flag, mainly because I'm contradicting myself in a fresh interview and probably even at the point of entry. I know the 30/60/90 day rule is not valid at all, but based on all of what I've done, if I attempt what I just described, it will most likely get denied, and I could even be barred from entrying.

You are committing fraud!!

10 hours ago, MeAlone said:

Come to visit your family, see what is it about your Application, let them apply for you, it doesn't mean YOU are committing a fraud, your family is free to file when and what they want to. Stay on your tourist visa while legal, maybe extend it for 6 months more, study your options and then, if you are able to adjust your status without leaving, decide if you do it in US or travel back to your country and process your family based visa from there

AOS is the intending immigrant's application. The family member can file the I-130 petition at any time fine, but the I-485 (AOS) is the beneficiary's application.

The general rule I go by is "if I were to tell the CBP officer my plans, would they allow me in?" - in this case, absolutely not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Isn't age-out an expedite criteria that should be highlighted on an application cover letter?

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/child-status-protection-act

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
17 hours ago, mathewax123 said:

Hey I just needed confirmation that it was a bad idea to travel to the U.S, as a tourist, in a newly renewed B-2 visa (which required an interview) in order to adjust status for a green card, practically filling a 485 as soon as I arrive. Something tells me this is a bad idea but I'm being pressured to travel and try it. Since according to this page https://www.hooyou.com/familybased/exceptions.html , it is bad because in my interview, I practically made them understand that I had no intentions, whatsoever of emigrating to the U.S permanently because of my home ties, studies, relationships, etc. And by filling a 485 as soon as I get there would raise a red flag, mainly because I'm contradicting myself in a fresh interview and probably even at the point of entry. I know the 30/60/90 day rule is not valid at all, but based on all of what I've done, if I attempt what I just described, it will most likely get denied, and I could even be barred from entrying.

Yes, it is a very bad idea, you may be charged with visa fraud, is better wait some time and still you may be in trouble. I adjusted status from visitor visa and the officer give me the hell on interview, he approved my case but that was close.

Filed: Other Country: El Salvador
Timeline
6 hours ago, Going through said:

Just read your other threads on this from before...maybe the USC husband is petitioning you as a step-child?  You need to really find out more information from your mother about what exactly her friend is "taking care of" on her/your behalf.  From your other thread, you seemed unsure of whether your mother had even gotten married or not---do you know for sure if she has gotten married to a USC now?

I find it odd that she seems unwilling to give you any real details on how she is applying for you to come to live in the US (based on your other threads)...

As for the tourist visa...I agree with others that it's not legal, and it's definitely not a good idea to attempt what your mother is pressuring you to do, and it's good that you are questioning it here.  POE officials are very good at unraveling stories and falsehoods, and it will not be a pleasant experience for you in the end especially with the possibility of dire consequences that would not only affect any future green card application but could also affect your admission into the States under any sort of visa at all.

I read that the USC and my mom should be married before my 18th birthday in order for the USC to be able to sponsor me as a stepchild. If that's not the case it would be more adequate that he petitioned me later on and then I apply through consular processing since the CSPA rules are more beneficial to USCs. But anyways, no form of visa or petition would be able to 'avoid' a visa fraud given my circumstances if I adjust in the US, as I have read.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

In no particular order:

• There is no evidence to suggest his Mother has any status in the US other than visitor possibly overstayed.
  • Lets say she does or has married a USC it will be say a year before she could get a GC.
  • No immediate visa available and he will likely age out so would be a loooong time before he could immigrate.
  • The most practical route if his mother intends to wed would for her to go through K1 and he could be a K2, OK to 21.

1) She hasn't overstayed, she was waiting for me to arrive so we can file all together, if I take longer, she will be past the date on her i-94.

2) Really? I've always been told that if you marry to an USC, your green card would be ready within 2 or 3 months when you adjust status? It did sound too good to be true to me, although, they probably were referring to the work permit, I guess.

3) Yeah...

4) I don't really dig the idea of marrying forcefully to get a green card, it's just too deceitful. 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, VICMER said:

Yes, it is a very bad idea, you may be charged with visa fraud, is better wait some time and still you may be in trouble. I adjusted status from visitor visa and the officer give me the hell on interview, he approved my case but that was close.

Was your visitor visa newly renewed? Did you adjust status as soon as you got there? If any of the answers are no, then you already had better chances than me.

Edited by mathewax123

11 minutes ago, mathewax123 said:

1) She hasn't overstayed, she was waiting for me to arrive so we can file all together, if I take longer, she will be past the date on her i-94.

2) Really? I've always been told that if you marry to an USC, your green card would be ready within 2 or 3 months when you adjust status? It did sound too good to be true to me, although, they probably were referring to the work permit, I guess.

3) Yeah...

4) I don't really dig the idea of marrying forcefully to get a green card, it's just too deceitful. 

1. There's no requirement to all file together. Each case will be reviewed on its own merits.
  2. Nope....not in the last few years at least (probably longer). It currently takes closer to a year. Yeah, I'm assuming they meant the work permit, or were just mistaken.
  3. Yup
  4. I don't think anybody is suggesting entering a marriage for the purpose of getting a green card for anybody. That's marriage fraud and against this site's TOS to condone or instruct (which I know Boiler follows as his bible). I think that's where the "if his mother intends to wed" comes in....not to imply marrying for the purpose of a green card. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
10 minutes ago, mathewax123 said:

Was your visitor visa newly renewed? Did you adjust status as soon as you got there? If any of the answers are no, then you already had better chances than me.

Was not newly issued / renewed, I live at the Mex/USA border and crossed almost every day. We married in US (on visitor visa) with no I-94 (not needed within 100 miles from the border) and two months later sent I-485 package. The correct way is get K1 visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
31 minutes ago, mathewax123 said:

3) Yeah...

The only problem I see is the lack of a 'file together' option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The 15 year-old sister...is she with you, or in the US now and if so how did she enter?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
33 minutes ago, geowrian said:
  1. There's no requirement to all file together. Each case will be reviewed on its own merits.
  2. Nope....not in the last few years at least (probably longer). It currently takes closer to a year. Yeah, I'm assuming they meant the work permit, or were just mistaken.
  3. Yup
  4. I don't think anybody is suggesting entering a marriage for the purpose of getting a green card for anybody. That's marriage fraud and against this site's TOS to condone or instruct (which I know Boiler follows as his bible). I think that's where the "if his mother intends to wed" comes in....not to imply marrying for the purpose of a green card. :)

1) Not together but rather at the same time

2) Well that's a bummer, because I only considered going there thinking that I would get the visa with enough time to enter to study in the U.S the next semester, skipping the whole F-1 visa process, but apparently I would have to sacrifice even more semesters in order to get the green card in time, something I don't want, since I want to study right now.

4) wink wink?

Timeline
37 minutes ago, VICMER said:

Was not newly issued / renewed, I live at the Mex/USA border and crossed almost every day. We married in US (on visitor visa) with no I-94 (not needed within 100 miles from the border) and two months later sent I-485 package. The correct way is get K1 visa.

Well my mother really doesn't want to come back(bad divorce), so I guess a K-2 visa for me is off the limits. 2 months later huh? I guess for you it was faster since you had that K visa, although I wouldn't mind if it applied to any visa type.

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The only problem I see is the lack of a 'file together' option.

I was referring to file at the same time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.