jdiaz

Visa Packet came in OPEN.

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My K-1 packet came just like that last year. I was more concerned that there was a noticeable tear at one part of the envelope, but the IO received it with no problem at LAX.

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: Country:
Timeline

When I worked in Juarez we definitely cut the corners like that. I thought every consulate did it that way. As someone else mentioned, it's done so it's clear that there are only documents in the envelope.

I've heard of many people that had the packet open up during their flight as well - I really don't think CBP officers care about the packet being open. Not that I'm recommending exploring the packet - there's nothing interesting in there. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
21 hours ago, jdiaz said:

Hello everyone,

My fiance just received her K1 package today from DHL. We were both very excited, however when we saw it closely, we found that one of the corners of the yellow packet (the one you're not supposed to open) was cut wide open. It looks like someone could've used a pair of scissors to open it since the cut is very clean. I fear that someone may have opened the packet to see her information. I am extremely concerned of this situation, not only because we may have to send it back for resealing, but it makes me worry about her safety.

Has anyone had a similar situation before? We will be calling the Juarez Consulate ASAP tomorrow morning.

You do not need to worry! I also received my package exactly the same way and it was no problem while entering the U.S. I was also very worried when I received it like that (and also from Cd. Juarez) and emailed my lawyer. They confirmed the Consulate cuts it and sends it like that.

You do not need to worry. The immigration officer will process your packet once your fiance enters the U.S.

Best of luck!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

A lot of people recommend not to return the envelope. But what about the "threat" of the consulate employee about flagging it as fraud if not returned?

And why is that information not available so that people know what to expect?

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

It's normal. ☺ My visa packet's the same. 

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Beachlover said:

A lot of people recommend not to return the envelope. But what about the "threat" of the consulate employee about flagging it as fraud if not returned?

Calling the embassy about it was a huge mistake, s/he took a bad advice. Who knows if the embassy can do anything about it even if he doesn't send it back, have they somehow registered the issue in their system that might cause an issue if he doesn't return it? Somehow I doubt that but I would still be a little worried since none of us know for sure?

Hopefully the employee was just full of bs. Clearly s/he didn't even know that the package is supposed to look like that.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
7 hours ago, jdiaz said:

The stress is real. 

I called the Juarez Consulate and was told that the envelopes should be completely sealed and have no cuts whatsoever. I decided to call my airport's Border Patrol directly. The Officer I spoke to assured me that the corner cut is completely normal and that my fiance should have no problems as long as she does not open the envelope. 

My fiance decided to make one last call to the Consulate mentioning what the Border Patrol officer had just told us. The operator simply said that we would have to send it in or it would be considered fraud. She also told us not call again as our multiple calls regarding the same subject are 'suspicious'. I'm done with the Consulate.

I've decided to send back our envelope and have them reseal it or whatever - I'm not taking any chances.

For those of you that have the same question in the future, ignore what the Consulate tells you, don't fill the DHL return label and just call the US Customs and Border patrol where your fiance will be entering. It will save you the stress, threats, and blatant lack of communication that the USCBP and the Consulates have. 

Thank you everyone and good luck on all of your visa endeavors. 

Hi jdiaz, we are also in Las Vegas and my husband had ZERO issues at the airport (POE: LAS VEGAS) and his envelope looked exactly the same (I actually didn't know that until I showed him your picture and he said, ya that's what mine looked like haha) and like I said, he had no trouble, they were super nice and fast. Good Luck!

K-1

Spoiler

4/20/16: Application Mailed

4/26/16: NOA1 (Hard Copy Received: 4/30/16)

7/11/16: NOA2 (Hard Copy Received: 7/14/16)

7/28/16: NVC Case# Received!

9/27/16: Interview (APPROVED)

10/28/16: POE

11/26/16: Wedding

AOS

Spoiler

12/9/16: Package Delivered to Chicago

12/14/16: Check Cashed

12/15/17: NOA1 (All cases)

1/13/17: Biometrics Appointment

1/20/17: Status Changed (I485): Ready to schedule Interview

3/10/17: Service Request (I765) by phone (91 days)

3/10/17: EAD Approved ("New Card is Being Produced")

3/16/17: Received EAD/AP Approval notices in mail

3/21/17: EAD Status Changed: "Card has been mailed to me"

3/21/17: EAD/AP Combo Card received in the mail (102 days) (YAYYYY)

9/13/17: Date of Interview (Approved!)

9/13/17: Status changed to Card in production

9/14/17: Status changed to Case Approved

9/19/17: Green Card in Hand :D

ROC
Spoiler
5/15/19: NOA: Received reminder letter to file from USCIS
6/20/19: Mailed Package to USCIS PO BOX AZ
6/22/19: Package Delivered (signed for by USCIS)
6/26/19: NOA1 (hard copy received 6/28/19)
6/27/19: Check Cashed, text/email received to expect receipt. 
6/28/19: Hard Copy NOA1 Received (California Svs Center)
1/15/20: Biometrics taken
4/16/20: Case Approved
4/22/20: green card in hand 😄

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Beachlover said:

Yea that's weird they would do that...

I'd carry on anyway though.

it's normal, and my wife nor I ever really even thought about it.  we just assumed it was cut on purpose.  never gave it much thought..

Edited by Eric-Pris

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.