TBoneTX

Any Dutch/American Couples?? [Part II]

415 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
7 hours ago, Pavli said:

Hi there!

We are currently awaiting our interview appointment and I'm trying to get a few things done in the meantime, including vaccinations. What's your experience with the varicella vaccination? I most definitely had chickenpox as a kid and so wouldn't need the vaccination, but how do I prove that I had it without undergoing another blood test that may slow things down? Or would you recommend just taking the test during the medical check?

Thanks!

I would take the test and have all the vaccinations done while you're in the NL still. Call the doctor, they can tell you what's the best timing to do your medical. It's what I did, my results were ready in 7 days. 

If you make sure you had all the required vaccinations before you enter the US, you won't need to see a Civil Surgeon when applying for your Green Card later, you'll only need to provide a copy of the DS3025 which you'll receive after your medical (all this provided you apply for the GC within a year of your medical!). Certainly a more hasslefree solution 😎

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Almost at the end of the journey. Last hurdle will be "het behoud van Nederlanderschap" anyone got to deal with this recently? Last post I found about it was several years old.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi everyone! First time poster. We received notice from the NVC that our case was getting sent to the embassy in Amsterdam. However, it's been almost 3 weeks and my fiance hasn't gotten a packet in the mail with information for the interview and things. How long did it take everyone to get their packet in the mail? Are we supposed to do another step first like DS-160 before getting the packet? 

Our CEAC says 'Ready'.

On the medical check:

It's been posted before, but I'd urge everybody to contact the consulate immediately after receiving your invitation to enquire where to get your medical done. Tell them where you live, as they seem to send you to either Amsterdam or The Hague. 

I had mine done at the IHCH in The Hague. You need to email them to register, after which you can email or call the Polikliniek to schedule your appointment. You'll be asked to fill out a firm twice in this process. 

I managed to get an appointment within a week, but results of blood tests and urine samples can take up to two weeks apparently (in my case the doctor was going to be absent, delaying the process), so get this done asap after receiving your interview invite. 

The check itself was smooth. Compared to your regular Dutch doctors the folks at IHCH were amazingly friendly. The x-ray is taken at the bronovo hospital, which was quick as well. All together it took me about two hours including the walk back and forth between the IHCH and bronovo. 

If any of you have chicken pox questions or want to avoid paying for vaccinations or blood tests: I showed the doctor my scars and she said that was good enough. No tests required. 

Overall a very positive experience. Here's for hoping the travel ban won't ruin things at the last moment...

On 2/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, Fr8dog said:

Almost at the end of the journey. Last hurdle will be "het behoud van Nederlanderschap" anyone got to deal with this recently? Last post I found about it was several years old.

Not sure if you already found the answer, but you just have to renew passport every 10 years or (cheaper if you don't care for it) get a 'verklaring van Nederlandschap' every 10 years at a consulate. That's all there is to it (I'm assuming you got your US Citizenship while being married to a USC). 

1 hour ago, Poseidon1212 said:

Not sure if you already found the answer, but you just have to renew passport every 10 years or (cheaper if you don't care for it) get a 'verklaring van Nederlandschap' every 10 years at a consulate. That's all there is to it (I'm assuming you got your US Citizenship while being married to a USC). 

I found the Dutch website, I was trying to figure out if anybody had done it recently. The way things are going now with ceremonies, who knows when I actually do need to get it done 😭

In case you had your visa interview planned for the next few weeks (like us)... All regular consular services have been suspended until further notice.

https://nl.usembassy.gov/limited-consular-services/

In the grand scheme of things it's no more than a hick-up, but with a job offer waiting for me and the months of anticipation and recent excitement when we finally got our interview date, this sucks 😕

12 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

I found the Dutch website, I was trying to figure out if anybody had done it recently. The way things are going now with ceremonies, who knows when I actually do need to get it done 😭

Haha, I'm sorry. I thought you already had pledged allegiance and stuff. 

I haven't done it myself because I'm not there yet (although I already have dual nationality so that's kind of a different situation), but someone I know has gone through it and they explained it was just a matter of ordering one of the two every decade, they eventually didn't bother anymore and just went on to be 'just' American.

• 2 weeks later...

Question regarding police certificates for IR-1 visas. The consulate has just agreed to reschedule our interview despite current suspension of regular consular activity, HOWEVER, they're insisting that we provide police certificates that are less than a year old. I have lived in five countries, so obviously this is a bit of an issue.

I have a recent police certificate from the NL, but some of the other ones are more than a year old (note: I did already submit certificates from each of these countries to the NVC and they were approved). Based on this information on the SD website, however, I should not have to renew police certificates that are more than a year old when I no longer live in those countries, as is the case for me.

Have any of you had similar issues with the consulate requesting recent police certificates from countries you haven't lived in since you obtained the certificate?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.