TBoneTX

Any Dutch/American Couples?? [Part II]

415 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, Fr8dog said:

Almost at the end of the journey. Last hurdle will be "het behoud van Nederlanderschap" anyone got to deal with this recently? Last post I found about it was several years old.

I am officially eligible for US citizenship since a few days, so I will be applying within the next few weeks. Because I'm married to a US citizen, I can keep my Dutch nationality. We don't have to do anything specific, just make sure to renew your passport in time, otherwise you will lose your Dutch nationality. It's surprisingly easy and simple for once. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey friends!!! Anyone with an approved K1 trying to get to the US or did get into the US? My fiance is there, we have our visa and documents but not really sure what to do at this point and our visa expires in 2 months :(

On 4/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, Dutchster said:

I am officially eligible for US citizenship since a few days, so I will be applying within the next few weeks. Because I'm married to a US citizen, I can keep my Dutch nationality. We don't have to do anything specific, just make sure to renew your passport in time, otherwise you will lose your Dutch nationality. It's surprisingly easy and simple for once. 

You may want to read up on the requirements on obtaining a new passport after getting US citizenship. You need to bring a bunch of extra stuff to proof your spouse was a citizen at the time. I'm not that far away from DC, so being sent back is not great but it won't be too expensive.

Just got my passport and visa. Yay!

Somewhat different question: do any of you have experience shipping possessions (furniture and some boxes) from the Netherlands to the US? We're planning our move for early July (fingers crossed there will still be flights available at that point) and are thinking of taking some of our furniture and possessions with us. We'll have to put it in storage for a while once it gets to the US, so we're not necessarily looking for door-to-door service.

Thanks!

On 4/28/2020 at 6:41 AM, Pavli said:

Somewhat different question: do any of you have experience shipping possessions (furniture and some boxes) from the Netherlands to the US? We're planning our move for early July (fingers crossed there will still be flights available at that point) and are thinking of taking some of our furniture and possessions with us. We'll have to put it in storage for a while once it gets to the US, so we're not necessarily looking for door-to-door service.

We shipped part of our stuff across the ocean (NL->US) last year. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

General info: 

We paid 3150 euro for 9 m^3, with full door-to-door service. The company we used also offered to temporarily store on arrival. 

Add to this:

- cost of insurance [if you want that]

- outside elevator [if applicable]

- parking permit [if applicable]

- extra costs due to US customs (they charge money when your container is flagged...). 

Timeline

- June 12: Stuff picked up at our house 

- July 24:  Departure from Rotterdam

- August XX?: Arrival in NYC

- August 30: Delivered to our house in Connecticut

We did not have a full container, hence the wait time between pickup and departure from Rotterdam (they combine shipments in a container).

Also our container was flagged by US Customs, which happens frequently, adding some more time. 

Edited by mrfrank1234

Hi all,

my fiancée is a US citizen 

I am from the Caribbean but have a Dutch passport (EU passport) as I live on aruba and Aruba is part of the Dutch nationality

we are just starting to apply for the K1 visa...would like to know any experiences any of you had? Any tips to speed up the process and also how long it approx took for evtg to get done :)

Thanks so much 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, Fr8dog said:

You may want to read up on the requirements on obtaining a new passport after getting US citizenship. You need to bring a bunch of extra stuff to proof your spouse was a citizen at the time. I'm not that far away from DC, so being sent back is not great but it won't be too expensive.

I mean, what is better proof than his birth certificate? lol

It'll be fine, I find this the least stressful and difficult process to go through. I'm not terribly worried and well informed on how everything works. We'll see though. 

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I want to go live with my fiance in germany for a short time until his interview and was wondering if  its possible to quarantine in Ireland or Britian for 14 days and then enter Germany? 

OR am I considered "family" enough based on the following statement on the German police website.

"persons immigrating into Germany for the purpose of joining their families and visits for urgent family reasons"

I want to go live with my fiance in germany for a short time until his interview and was wondering if  its possible to quarantine in Ireland or Britian for 14 days and then enter Germany? 

OR am I considered "family" enough based on the following statement on the German police website.

"persons immigrating into Germany for the purpose of joining their families and visits for urgent family reasons"

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Maria2610 said:

How long did it take for DC klinieken to mail your medical results to the embassy?

I don't know exactly, because I did mine about 4 weeks before my interview. However, when I was at the interview there were people there who did it 7-10 prior and the results weren't in yet. So I think it's safe to keep 14 days in mind. This was 6 months ago though, don't know what has changed in the meanwhile.

39 minutes ago, Lehcim said:

I don't know exactly, because I did mine about 4 weeks before my interview. However, when I was at the interview there were people there who did it 7-10 prior and the results weren't in yet. So I think it's safe to keep 14 days in mind. This was 6 months ago though, don't know what has changed in the meanwhile.

Thank you for replying! That’s what I’m afraid of, the lady at the clinic said that for some reason it might take 1-2 weeks from the day she receives the lab results,for e-medical to send the results to the embassy.. 

3 minutes ago, Maria2610 said:

Thank you for replying! That’s what I’m afraid of, the lady at the clinic said that for some reason it might take 1-2 weeks from the day she receives the lab results,for e-medical to send the results to the embassy.. 

If anything that means that, on the day of your interview, they will not issue the visa. They'll tell you it'll be issued when they get the results in (and those are good, obviously).

So it might delay the process for a little bit, but it won't give you any real issues.

17 minutes ago, Lehcim said:

If anything that means that, on the day of your interview, they will not issue the visa. They'll tell you it'll be issued when they get the results in (and those are good, obviously).

So it might delay the process for a little bit, but it won't give you any real issues.

Yes I’m already on AP now as I had my interview before the medical! Hoping to receive the medical results ASAP so that we can finalize this process as well :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.