JusticeWarrior

Do you guys carry your green card at all times?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

My understanding as an LPR is Yes, I am supposed to.. that being said, I am carrying a photocopy of front and back, and am keeping said GC in a safe place, as advised in the letter that came with it. Kinda contradictory, as carrying it with you is probably one of the least safe places! 

Thanks for the quick reply, so if I understood correctly, there's no law that says you have to carry the physical card? What happens when you fly aboard? Do you carry the actual card or just the Photocopy of it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, JusticeWarrior said:

Thanks for the quick reply, so if I understood correctly, there's no law that says you have to carry the physical card?

There is a law - the Immigration and Nationality Action section 264(e): "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

1 minute ago, JusticeWarrior said:

What happens when you fly aboard? Do you carry the actual card or just the Photocopy of it?

Carry the actual card.

Timeline
1 minute ago, f f said:

the actual card is required at all immigration points. side note if you are under 18 you do not have to carry it with you.

Immigration points would be airport etc? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife carries her card with her at all times.  You definitely need it when traveling especially internationally upon return to the US. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, broppy said:

There is a law - the Immigration and Nationality Action section 264(e): "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

Carry the actual card.

Thanks for the informative quote! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Carry the card.. my photocopy does not meet the federal law but i am prepared to try and explain why i dont cary it if needed. My choice to take this risk rather than what I see as a greater risk in it being lost or stolen along with my wallet. 

Makes sense to me! Hopefully the officer who asks you for documentation (especially with the new Trump administration) will be understanding, and not jump into conclusions too fast.

It is law to carry it, so yes I carry it. I keep it in my wallet with my driver's license and the rest of it. Until my 10 year GC arrives, I also carry the extension letter.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

3 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

I carry the card - that said, when I read that this is required I snorted loudly and exclaimed "why not just brand us with a tattooed number.." (oh wait.....that'd be historically inappropriate)

With how much USCIS stress me out, I'd probably just let them do that if it made things any simpler 

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

I know I'm in the wrong, but reality is that's I only carry a photocopy. Consequences (and chances) of losing the card  are greater than being asked for the card and not having it on me.   

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I know I'm in the wrong, but reality is that's I only carry a photocopy. Consequences (and chances) of losing the card  are greater than being asked for the card and not having it on me.   

That's why I made a photocopy of my conditional GC, and carry the actual card with me... so in case it gets lost or stolen, I'll still have the proof of immigration status when I collect evidence for the I-751. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.