Matisyahu

May 2017 AOS Filers

2,315 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 2/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, kris.n said:

Congratulations! So was mine, just received the email this morning. Not exactly feeling nervous because, well, I don't really have anything to hide, HOWEVER:

I've been going through threads of people talking about their AOS interview experience, all the documents they brought with them and I'm just worried, because I don't really have most of those things and I'm not gonna have them in the next month before the interview for sure.

The thing is, we had a courthouse wedding, with only my husband's parents as witnesses. Rings we exchanged were from his mom, she gave them to us right before the wedding because we didn't have any. After that we went to the nearest pizza place and called it a night :D We don't have that many photos together, because we don't really do a whole lot as we're still living on just his income (it took six months for me to get my EAD and I'm still preparing resumes and cover letters to start actively applying for jobs). No medical, dental or car insurance either - again, we're living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, so we've just tried to keep all of our expenses to a minimum. Our landlord came to meet me one day, wrote my name by hand right above my husband's on just his copy of the lease and he was in a hurry so he was gone before we even realized we're gonna need this for immigration purposes at least, but we'll try and get in touch with him. We do have a joint checking account with cards that we barely ever use because it was for my savings when I first got to the US, which are pretty much all gone now.
My point is, we're pretty bad with stuff like that and barely making ends meet as it is. We were not prepared for a marriage, just wanted to be together and that was the only way to go, really (of course I'm not going to say this at the interview ;) ). We're hoping maybe the person interviewing us would recognize all the difficulties we've had so far and be more understanding of our situation. Any experience you guys have had so far or advice would be greatly appreciated!

And a couple questions about the documents - do I need to have a certified copy of my birth certificate with me? Would a photocopy do if I brought the original with me at the interview? Also, if it's been over a year since my medical before the k-1 visa interview, does it automatically mean I have to undergo another one? If so, how expensive is it to get one in the US? I've tried looking at threads with more info on this, but please feel free to post any links to whatever it is that I might have missed... Thank you!

Hey! Congratulations on getting your date for the interview!! Btw, please, remember to update your timeline so people like me knows at what date they are processing! (I am Seattle office as well :lol:)

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

We filed for AOS on May 5, 2017 and just received the interview letter today.  We're scheduled for March 29.  Assuming we're approved at the interview, what is the average wait time for the green card to arrive in the mail?  From what I've read, the timing appears to be 1-2 weeks.  Has anyone had to wait longer?

We were approved on the spot and waited a week for the card to arrive.

Good luck!!!

Edited by Gordo2

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Our interview is today but we are felling pretty good about it

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : YSC
Date Filed : 2020-03-04
NOA Date : 2020-03-10
RFE(s) :  
Bio. Appt. : 2020-05-13 Case updated without Bio Appointment
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Timeline

We had our interview in West Palm Beach today. We were there for about 30 minutes and left with no answer except we will receive an email.

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

On 26.02.2018 г. at 12:39 PM, Troy P said:

We had our interview in West Palm Beach today. We were there for about 30 minutes and left with no answer except we will receive an email.

Do you personally think it went well? Would that mean they will be sending you an RFE? Just seems kind of strange they wouldn't give you a more detailed answer.

Timeline
54 minutes ago, kris.n said:

Do you personally think it went well? Would that mean they will be sending you an RFE? Just seems kind of strange they wouldn't give you a more detailed answer.

We had evidence and plenty of photos. The questioning appeared normal but the IO was very difficult to read. She didn't mention needing anything more. Took photo of my wife and fingerprints, then interviewed her, normal questions. It wasn't bad or wasn't good, very indifferent. She asked all of the yes/no questions from the application. She ask for any evidence we brought with us, I gave her the normal joint items and insurances, beneficiaries etc... I told her we had a photo album and she appeared to enjoy looking at it as we explained the photos. She asked for three photos to keep for the file. After about 30 minutes she said I need to finish reviewing the file you will receive a mail. She asked if we had any questions. I asked her if she need anything more and she said no.

Edited by Troy P
Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

4 minutes ago, Troy P said:

We had evidence and plenty of photos. The questioning appeared normal but the IO was very difficult to read. She didn't mention needing anything more. Took photo of my wife and fingerprints, then interviewed her, normal questions. It wasn't bad or wasn't good, very indifferent. She asked all of the yes/no questions from the application. She ask for any evidence we brought with us, I gave her the normal joint items and insurances, beneficiaries etc... I told her we had a photo album and she appeared to enjoy looking at it as we explained the photos. She asked for three photos to keep for the file. After about 30 minutes she said I need to finish reviewing the file you will receive a mail. She asked if we had any questions. I asked her if she need anything more and she said no.

I can imagine a lot of the IOs would be like that. Thanks for the info and good luck! :)

We had our interview today. It went well, the interviewer kept joking around and it all felt very relaxed. The only relationship question he asked us was about how we met. He also asked about our jobs. We had brought a lot of evidence, he took the bank statements, lease agreement, utility bills, insurance documents, pictures, but he didn't even look at the boarding passes (we travel a lot). 

And then he couldn't find the marriage certificate and the medical (i-6something) in our file and I was sure I had included them in the package. Thankfully, we had another copy of the certificate with us. The officer searched in the system and it turned out that some of our documents are at another office (why and how, I have no idea...), so now he has to request that they be sent to the current office before he can approve the green card because my medical is probably there. This might take a month or even more. Hopefully everything will be fine and they will find it, otherwise they will send us an RFE for a new medical 😑. Ugh.

Anyway, it was a pleasant experience otherwise, at the end the IO and my husband started discussing his Star Wars poster on the wall (lol). So except for the medical, it went great. 

Edited by Orangesapples

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Just posting an update.

Our interview was December 14th in Hartford.  Since then we've heard nothing.  The online tool still shows our interview date (it has not been updated since we received our interview notice).

It seems literally everyone has gotten their approval quicker than my wife, so as you can imagine we are stressed.  We've gone from checking the mailbox every day with anticipation to trying to forget about it so we don't stress.

Our immigration attorney said we can schedule an infopass to go in and ask about the status of our case.  Does anyone have experience with this?  The "official" documents say to wait 6mos before scheduling an infopass, but our attorney said that is just a guideline and we are fine to schedule one at this time.

We did receive the document at the end of our interview that our "case is being continued", which I understand is the total norm.  But still it's been close to 3 months and no update, no request for additional info, nothing....  It is extremely frustrating.

Any suggestions or comments?

• AOS Filed - 5/2/17
  • Bio Appt - 6/2/17
  • EAD Filed - 6/16/17
  • EAD Received - 8/23/17
  • AOS Interview - 12/14/17
  • AOS Request for More Evidence- 2/27/18
  • New Evidence Submitted At Infopass - 3/16/18
  • Called Hartford Office and spoke with Director about timeline - 4/26/18
  • New Card Being Produced - 4/26/18 (system updated in wrong order)
  • I-130 & I-485 Approval Update! - 4/30/18
  • GREEN CARD RECEIVED - 5/4/18

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi! 

Since I've posted here and in the August thread I'm updating it here too: I finally got a case update saying that my EAD was mailed today! 

I am an April 2017 filer.

2 hours ago, AskerBRfromAZ said:

Hi! 

Since I've posted here and in the August thread I'm updating it here too: I finally got a case update saying that my EAD was mailed today! 

I am an April 2017 filer.

Wow! Congrats! That's a long time! I am a May filer and I received my EAD back in the end of November. Online status, however, never updated. Even when I call the USCIS they have no idea I have my EAD on hand. Hoping this won't be an issue with a potential employer...

To all of you who have already had your interview: Back when I filed for AOS, I only submitted my DS-3025 and did not receive an RFE. My interview notice says that I need "A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)." Techically, my medical has been submitted, but I had it done over a year ago, and I've heard that you're supposed to get another one after a year has passed. Since it doesn't say that specifically in the notice I don't really plan on getting a new medical beforehand because it will be super expensive. Have any of you had the same issue? Any advice?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
23 minutes ago, kris.n said:

Wow! Congrats! That's a long time! I am a May filer and I received my EAD back in the end of November. Online status, however, never updated. Even when I call the USCIS they have no idea I have my EAD on hand. Hoping this won't be an issue with a potential employer...

To all of you who have already had your interview: Back when I filed for AOS, I only submitted my DS-3025 and did not receive an RFE. My interview notice says that I need "A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)." Techically, my medical has been submitted, but I had it done over a year ago, and I've heard that you're supposed to get another one after a year has passed. Since it doesn't say that specifically in the notice I don't really plan on getting a new medical beforehand because it will be super expensive. Have any of you had the same issue? Any advice?

I was also (incorrectly) given the same advice as you were, about the medical.

in the i-693 instructions it states:

If you were admitted as a:

A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:

(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination; and

(a) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination; or

(b) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.

(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9. of Form I-693.

So in short, as long as you had your medical before you moved here and sent the vaccination sheet and medical report in with Your I-485 you are fine. The only time the medical expires is if you have NOT sent it in within a year of the medical having been carried out.

I checked this BEFORE we sent in the AOS and AFTER the person told me that I would have to get another one and I panicked 😬 so I am happy to save you that same panic!

Edited by KiTu

K1:

Posted: 11/01/2016

NOA1: 11/07/2016

NOA2: 01/23/2017

NVC Received: 01/30/2017

Case Assigned: 02/06/2017

Left NVC: 02/06/2017

Consulate Received: 02/13/2017

'Packet 3' Received: 02/16/2017

Interview: 03/16/2017

Visa Received: 03/27/2017

Entry: 04/28/2017

Marriage: 05/05/2017

AOS:

Posted: 05/11/2017

NOA1: 05/15/2017

Biometrics: 06/07/2017

EAD SR1: 07/31/17 - Received response 08/28/17 stating under review.
EAD SR2: 08/29/17 - No response
EAD SR3: 09/06/17. Received response 09/07/17 stating under review.

EAD Card in Production: 09/19/2017

EAD Card Mailed: 09/21/2017

EAD Card Received:

1 hour ago, kris.n said:

I had issues with my medical at the interview. Read my post above. In short, for whatever reason, it's probably at another office although my vaccination record is at my local office. It's ridiculous. But don't worry about doing the medical before the interview. If you need a new one, they will let you know at the interview and send you an RFE. No need to spend all that money beforehand. I only hope they haven't lost mine. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.