Springrain22

IR1: Filed taxes as single. What should I do now?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

I know I can get her ITIN, but it takes crazy amount of time. IRS says it could take up to 11 weeks if I file by April 30. I am already waiting for my wife almost 2 years and every month is a lot, that's why I would like not to amend if possible, having explain everything to CO instead.

There's probably no need for her to get an ITIN. You should talk to your tax advisor about amending your filing to Married filing separately - it's basically just a matter of changing the filing status and putting NRA where it asks for spouse's full name.

Edited by broppy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First tax man was wrong and you should have claimed spouse on taxes by filing W7 form with original marriage certificate and spouse's birth cerificate (there are also other forms of spouse ID you can use but these you should have already because of filing CR1)

W7 is applying for ITIN and can only be applied for when filing tax returns for the year previouss

but many do not claim spouse on taxes tilll spouse is in US

WHY?  maybe because they would have to also claim any foreign income spouse makes

but to me it was well worth claiming my husband and getting the credit as he was in college and no income

filing as single should not hurt /but i highly recommend doing it for high fraud countries to help show combined assests as countries like ours demand this at times

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
2 minutes ago, broppy said:

There's probably no need for her to get an ITIN. You should talk to your tax advisor about amending your filing to Married filing separately - it's basically just a matter of changing the filing status and putting NRA where it asks for spouse's full name.

Do you know how long it takes to amend and order new tax transcript?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

First tax man was wrong and you should have claimed spouse on taxes by filing W7 form with original marriage certificate and spouse's birth cerificate (there are also other forms of spouse ID you can use but these you should have already because of filing CR1)

W7 is applying for ITIN and can only be applied for when filing tax returns for the year previouss

but many do not claim spouse on taxes tilll spouse is in US

WHY?  maybe because they would have to also claim any foreign income spouse makes

but to me it was well worth claiming my husband and getting the credit as he was in college and no income

filing as single should not hurt y

Doing W-7 thing to get her ITIN could take up to 3 months (just this process, not including ordering transcripts), which is crazy. Also, we are not doing CR1, we're IR1. Does it make any difference?

This is exactly what I did: I did not claim my wife on taxes because she's not in US thus she has no SSN or ITIN or whatever. IS IT REQUIRED officially by NVC and consulate? Is there any rule that I MUST have it filed "married"?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No need for ITIN - just need to submit a paper return with NRA written for SSN. Claim married filing separate

NRA (non resident alien)

Once she gets an SSN then submit an amended return married filing joint. Will have to submit a statement you are doing so accordingly and you will submit world wide income for spouse too. In addition to  amending status claim her income.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Springrain22 said:

Do you know how long it takes to amend and order new tax transcript?

No. But she only needs a copy of the amended return plus W-2s. The transcript is just nice to have as it's proof you really did file - if it's not available in time, don't worry about it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to be blunt, but you should fire your accountant.  He/she should have known the rules re non resident spouses and advised you, 4 yrs ago,  (when you got married) to file with her.  I think the main thing is to fill amendments to get this corrected before your wife's intreview as financial co-mingling is one of the key items the CO looks for.

Timeline
Just now, NovaSprings said:

Sorry to be blunt, but you should fire your accountant.  He/she should have known the rules re non resident spouses and advised you, 4 yrs ago,  (when you got married) to file with her.  I think the main thing is to fill amendments to get this corrected before your wife's intreview as financial co-mingling is one of the key items the CO looks for.

OK, how to amend then? Do I really need to get her an ITIN to proceed or I can just amend with "married filing separate" with NRA written for her SSN? She did not work in 2016 at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Don't try to over think this. Again no need for ITIN - I went through same scenario as you though I filed status correctly. Then when my wife was state side I amended my return to reflect married joint and her SSN. (Result was a sizeable credit)!

tax transcripts don't reflect amended status - found this out when we started gathering tax transcripts for ROC.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whether you file jointly or sperately is really a personal choice based on what makes sense to you financially.  If you file jointly, you will gain access to additional tax credits, but you will need her ITIN.  You can file married but separately, no ITIN is required, but less tax credits.  The key is to amend and file "married" not single. I am no expert, I have a great accountant who advises me...you can also refer to the URL posted earlier for more info.  

Transcripts don't show staus, but including your return showing a married status is one way to show financial co-mingling as part of your bonified marriage evidence.

Edited by NovaSprings

Timeline
25 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

Don't try to over think this. Again no need for ITIN - I went through same scenario as you though I filed status correctly. Then when my wife was state side I amended my return to reflect married joint and her SSN. (Result was a sizeable credit)!

tax transcripts don't reflect amended status - found this out when we started gathering tax transcripts for ROC.

So you're saying I should do nothing and just proceed with NVC as it is with filed "single"? Again, my only concern is CO. Is it true that you had exactly the same story? What did the CO ask during the interview?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Waffle123 said:

Me and my husband are in the exact same situation, my interview will be next week and I recently found out that his lawyer advised him to file as 'Single'.

We will not have time to change anything now, but i would also like to know about what to do next and how to amend.

Hey, I wish you all the best, really! Could you please then report here how everything went through? Is there any way I can contact you later to know it for sure? Sorry if it's too personal, I am just really in worries here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.