Maie B

A 26 YO Egyptian Daughter of An American

44 posts in this topic

Timeline
3 minutes ago, milimelo said:

If your mother is not moving then you're not going to get an immigrant visa. Family petition based visa is for family reunification and you're all living together in the home country. 

Ok. My mother, my brother, and I are moving.

what do we do? My mom moves first and then does the petition? And stay there till the results of that are out? How long does this specific process take? And when do my brother and I move?

clear specific answers would be most appreciated.

1 hour ago, Maie B said:

Okay, let me clarify a few points so that the replies would come in relevant;

1. I'm not married, there are no plans for that in the near future at least

2. My dad isn't willing to move to US, the only two people interested to move is me and my 23 YO brother

Then there is absolutely no path for you to immigrate to the US with a family based visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Maie B said:

what do we do? My mom moves first and then does the petition? And stay there till the results of that are out? How long does this specific process take? And when do my brother and I move?

she can mail the i130 from Egypt, but she will need a money order or check from a US bank. does she have family in the US that could help her with that if she doesn't have that? or if not, then she will have to move first. the petition can take around 8 years and if you or your brother marry, it will take longer, over 10 years

as said, family petitions are for family reunification, your mom must live in the US for you to come. is your mom willing to live separated from your dad, since he isn't willing to move here?

Timeline
20 minutes ago, aleful said:

she can mail the i130 from Egypt, but she will need a money order or check from a US bank. does she have family in the US that could help her with that if she doesn't have that? or if not, then she will have to move first. the petition can take around 8 years and if you or your brother marry, it will take longer, over 10 years

as said, family petitions are for family reunification, your mom must live in the US for you to come. is your mom willing to live separated from your dad, since he isn't willing to move here?

Well it depends, for how long will she have to live there?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Maie B said:

As already mentioned multiple times - roughly 7 years after filing petition (as of today - may change) you will get your visa - assuming your mother will meet the requirements (domicile, taxes and so on).

As you have seen, it's going to be close to impossible for you to receive family-based immigrant visas. The only way you can get there this way is by doing this:

- your mother gets a US passport

- she files an I-130 petition and pays the fees for the two of you (two fees)

- you and your brother wait many years during which you cannot get married or the wait will become even longer 

- at some point your mother then leaves her life and her husband in Egypt and returns to a country that is a foreign land to her, alone 

- your mother either has to find work in the USA that pays enough to meet the sponsor's financial requirements or she has enough savings or assets - failing that she has to find someone living in the USA who can become a joint sponsor (unlikely if she has no family members there)

Family-based visas are intended to bring families together. So your mother will need to demonstrate to the government that she intends to make the USA her permanent home in order for you to get visas. Is what you want really that important that it's worth forcing your mother to leave her husband behind (he can't go to the USA without a visa either)? Is this "new life" going to be that much better? Doesn't sound like it would be good for your mother. Unless you are suggesting your father also changes his whole life just so that you can move to the USA. Also what happens if you want to get married in some years? Are you going to refuse to get married just because you want to avoid adding a few years to an already long wait? 

If if you want to come to the USA that badly, why not try on your own merits and let your mother live her life the way she wants. There are other ways. If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way. Apply for a job with a company with a presence in the USA and hope for an intra-company transfer. Have you considered an O-1 visa? Apply for the diversity lottery. 

I admire your determination but it sounds like you all have a pretty good life with good jobs already. Why the desperate need to throw all that away? 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
23 minutes ago, JFH said:

As you have seen, it's going to be close to impossible for you to receive family-based immigrant visas. The only way you can get there this way is by doing this:

- your mother gets a US passport

- she files an I-130 petition and pays the fees for the two of you (two fees)

- you and your brother wait many years during which you cannot get married or the wait will become even longer 

- at some point your mother then leaves her life and her husband in Egypt and returns to a country that is a foreign land to her, alone 

- your mother either has to find work in the USA that pays enough to meet the sponsor's financial requirements or she has enough savings or assets - failing that she has to find someone living in the USA who can become a joint sponsor (unlikely if she has no family members there)

Family-based visas are intended to bring families together. So your mother will need to demonstrate to the government that she intends to make the USA her permanent home in order for you to get visas. Is what you want really that important that it's worth forcing your mother to leave her husband behind (he can't go to the USA without a visa either)? Is this "new life" going to be that much better? Doesn't sound like it would be good for your mother. Unless you are suggesting your father also changes his whole life just so that you can move to the USA. Also what happens if you want to get married in some years? Are you going to refuse to get married just because you want to avoid adding a few years to an already long wait? 

If if you want to come to the USA that badly, why not try on your own merits and let your mother live her life the way she wants. There are other ways. If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way. Apply for a job with a company with a presence in the USA and hope for an intra-company transfer. Have you considered an O-1 visa? Apply for the diversity lottery. 

I admire your determination but it sounds like you all have a pretty good life with good jobs already. Why the desperate need to throw all that away? 

Thank you for your thorough explanation/ reply.

Is family-based visas different from green card?

To answer your concerns, we do have a good life here but as mentioned before, we would appreciate a better chance/ standards of living for ourselves, especially that we were provided better-than-average education and for example in my case, I speak English and Spanish fluenlt, other than Arabic as my mothertongue, and would love to use all three languages in some work-related context. My brother also would like to work in a better, more diverse, dynamic, and promising country.

We are not forcing our mother or father to do anything that they're not comfortable with, it was actually their suggestion that we pursue  better life in the US. 

We already applied for the lottery, but realistically speaking it is not a solid plan/ option to rely on.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Maie B said:

To answer your concerns, we do have a good life here but as mentioned before, we would appreciate a better chance/ standards of living for ourselves, especially that we were provided better-than-average education and for example in my case, I speak English and Spanish fluenlt, other than Arabic as my mothertongue, and would love to use all three languages in some work-related context. My brother also would like to work in a better, more diverse, dynamic, and promising country.

We are not forcing our mother or father to do anything that they're not comfortable with, it was actually their suggestion that we pursue  better life in the US. 

We already applied for the lottery, but realistically speaking it is not a solid plan/ option to rely on.

Family based visa applies you for US residency/Green card. It is just 'family based' because your mother is petitioning for her children.

As stated by a lot of others, there are many things that need to be done first....

Your mother needs to claim her US citizenship and get a US passport.

She needs to prove domicile and intent to live in the US(not just use it temporarily to get her kids in)

She needs to clear up her tax situation with the IRS

She needs to be able to show ability to support everyone on the affidavit of support, or have a co-sponsor to assist.

She then needs to apply for both of you.

Then the 7-10 year wait as mentioned. (long as everyone stays unmarried also or add more time.

Then, maybe then if al is well you could gain residency in the US. 

Again also that is if this class also remain available and does not get scrapped a long the way. This is not easy, quick, or cheap.

During the processing of the paperwork for the visas, you and your brother could try applying for B2 visas and visit yes, but you have o maintain strong ties to return to Egypt and not misuse the tourist visa.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, Maie B said:

Okay, let me clarify a few points so that the replies would come in relevant;

1. I'm not married, there are no plans for that in the near future at least

2. My dad isn't willing to move to US, the only two people interested to move is me and my 23 YO brother

Forget the family route then.

L1 and DV come to mind.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 4/3/2017 at 7:52 AM, Maie B said:

A visa is what allows you to enter the country (it sets a date by which you need to enter and exit)

A green card is granted to legal permanent residents.  You only get the green card after a long process whereby immigration officials have determined that you meet the conditions.  The green card is given after you've established residency and you need to maintain it.

They are completely different.  The green card comes AFTER the visa.

Edited by dillygoose

27 minutes ago, dillygoose said:

A visa is what allows you to enter the country (it sets a date by which you need to enter and exit)  CBP determines exit, not the visa.

A green card is granted to legal permanent residents.  You only get the green card after a long process whereby immigration officials have determined that you meet the conditions.  The green card is given after you've established residency and you need to maintain it. Correct

They are completely different.  The green card comes AFTER the visa. Yep

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

1 minute ago, dillygoose said:

Well for the K1 the expiration is listed on the visa stamped in the passport.  I realize not all visas are the same.  

Visa expiration date is the last date to request entry into the US. Nothing to do with exit from the US. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/3/2017 at 4:07 AM, Maie B said:

7-8 years

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.