Sarah Waters

Broke single mom wanting to move... where?

32 posts in this topic

Wichita, Kansas is an affordable place to live in. Also checking on Craigslist, housing seems decently priced over there, you can get a one bedroom for $350 and two bedroom for as low as $500. I heard its immigrant friendly. You may want to do more research. Also apply for benefits such as food stamps, Medicaid etc to help lessen your burden 

Edited by Hopeful diva

As far as I know immigrants cannot apply for benefits like food stamps and Medicaid.

OP, I'm very sorry for your situation and what you went through. Down south here we have a lot of areas that offer cheap apartments. Some even go by your income. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

22 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

As far as I know immigrants cannot apply for benefits like food stamps and Medicaid.

OP, I'm very sorry for your situation and what you went through. Down south here we have a lot of areas that offer cheap apartments. Some even go by your income. 

She can apply for benefits, since her situation is VAWA related. The only thing I know immigrants definitely do not qualify for regardless of anything is cash assistance. But Medicaid and food stamps are a yes

That still depends per state and if OP qualifies  

https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-individuals/special-topics/national-origin/domestic-violence/

Can battered immigrants get TANF, Medicaid or State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) benefits?

Maybe. It depends upon whether the state has elected to provide these benefits to "qualified aliens," whether the applicant meets the definition of "qualified alien" and whether the battered immigrant entered the country prior to 8/22/96(3) or has been in "qualified alien" status for five years. 8 U.S.C. 1613 and 1612(b). If a state provides TANF, Medicaid or SCHIP benefits to "qualified aliens," then otherwise eligible battered immigrants who meet the definition of "qualified alien" and who entered before 8/22/96 or who have been in a "qualified alien" status for five years should be eligible. 

Edited by Dutchster

Naturalization                                                        
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

I doubt if there is anywhere that meets the OP's requirement in the US.

13 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Sounds like you definitely need to be near a support system (friends and family). Would you be better off returning to your home country that may provide support? 

Best pieces of advice by far on this thread.  Time for a reality check: The OP has no support system  a very poor job outlook and a toddler that requires more than the usual full time care.  Even supposing she qualifies for all the benefits social services had to offer, it would simply not be enough.  Total disaster waiting to happen. 

OP, it's still warm and humid in Florida.  It's in your best interest to go home, I'm afraid you won't receive much help here.  Good luck!!

17 minutes ago, abbynak said:

Boiler wants her to go back "home"

In this case returning to her home country wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe even a better solution than to live off benefits IF she qualifies for public assistance. 

Edited by Dutchster

Naturalization                                                        

'Merica. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just be careful you don't go so cheap that you end up in a bad area!

Also I think it would be best for you to move to some small town where people are around you and often they are more willing to give a hand here or there. Maybe join a church or something for help and be part of a community. Also do you homeschool you older kid or if he/she in school?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP has not mentioned where she is from, must admit I made assumptions due to the name.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
12 hours ago, sparkles_ said:

That was in the form of the Alaska permanent fund dividend which was cut down to only 1000$ a year for the next 3-5yr thanks to budget issues. It used to go as high as 2500 per person in the family, but you also must live there for 13mo to qualify for it.

Well that's not much of an incentive anymore to move to "ice land" lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
9 hours ago, Cruise77 said:

It's in your best interest to go home, I'm afraid you won't receive much help here.  Good luck!!

If she says that coming back home isn't an option we need to trust her, I think she knows better than us the reality there so I don't think that "go home" is helping her at all here.

2 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

Just be careful you don't go so cheap that you end up in a bad area!

Also I think it would be best for you to move to some small town where people are around you and often they are more willing to give a hand here or there. Maybe join a church or something for help and be part of a community. Also do you homeschool you older kid or if he/she in school?

I totally agree with you, this is a country hard on people in need, that is why it is vital to count with a supporting network around you, friends, family, church or some sort of association/NGO.

Edited by Vengatore

K1

Spoiler

I-129F sent : 30 November 2015
I-129F NOA1 : 16 December 2015
I-129F NOA2 : 02 February 2016
Packet 3 received : 29 February 2016
Packet 3 sent : 28 April 2016
Interview date : 13 June 2016 (Result: Administrative Review, document needed)
Visa received : 11 July 2016

AOS

Spoiler

US entry : 09 September 2016
Marriage ceremony: 02 December 2016
AOS sent to Chicago lockbox: 16 January 2017
Case accepted confirmation by email/sms: 27 January 2017
NOA1 received: 03 February 2017
Biometrics appointment letter received: 06 February 2017

Biometrics passed: 08 February 2017 (walk-in)
EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 01 May 2017
NOA for EAD and AP received: 04 May 2017

Combo Card in hand: 06 May 2017

I-485 status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 15 July 2017
NOA for Green Card received: 20 July 2017
Conditional Green Card in hand: 21 July 2017

Removing Conditions

Spoiler

Package sent: 20 June 2019
Package received: 25 June 2019
NOA1: 18-month extension: 28 June 2019

Biometrics passed: 02 August 2019
New Card Being Produced: 30 July 2020
10-year Green Card Mailed: 19 August 2020

Naturalization

Spoiler

N-400 sent : 01 October 2020 (online)
Interview: 26 October 2021
RFI sent to office: 14 December 2021
Oath Ceremony: 18 February 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Vengatore said:

If she says that coming back home isn't an option we need to trust her, I think she knows better than us the reality there so I don't think that "go home" is helping her at all here

I disagree.  OP asked for advice and I gave it her.  Notice I said it was in her "best interest" to go home, not simply "go home."  The former being advice and the latter being a command.  In any case it's the same advice I would have given to a close friend or a loved one. It's probably not what the OP or others on this thread wanted to hear. However since it may very well be her best option, it would be a disservice to not point out why.    

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure California could be described as affordable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.