peachtree

Failed 1st interview. Question about 2nd interview.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I posted this in the July 2016 filers also since my girlfriend N400 was submitted in part of July.

My girlfriend had her interview yesterday at the Dallas FO. Unfortunately she did not passed. She passed the civic questions, reading / writing part, but failed the English part which is speaking and understanding. I am not sure why the IO failed her. She speaks more than just the basic English. She says they asked mostly about personal stuff, such as was her parents married yet when she was born, what is her resident address, what part of Dallas is that, near what major highway, who own the house she's living in, what is her work address, what does her work do, what area is it at, do you pay taxes, is your car still being finance, etc etc etc. The IO just kept hammering her. She answer them the best she can. Some of the questions she told the IO she's not sure because she just moved to Dallas a year ago. And then there was a question she did not understand because of a term the IO used, she ask the IO to repeat the question, IO flat out say I cannot repeat it. So the IO marked her as failed. Handed a paper showing failed speaking and understanding, will get a 2nd chance.

This is so frustrating, we was very positive she will passed. Then she walked out with tears (I was in the waiting area), my heart just sunked. We had plans to go to Canada visit her uncle, go back to her country so I can meet her parents and family to introduced myself. 

How long normally until she get letter for 2nd interview? Hopefully does not have to redo the civics / reading / writing again, even though that was easy.

Edited by peachtree

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh no I'm so so sorry to read this :( I know how excited you were about finally getting the interview date. I don't know the answer to your question but good luck to her the second time around.

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

There was a recent case that went through same issue. Failed 1st interview due to English speaking, passed the 2nd interview. Check their experience if you'd like.

Looking at their timeline; 1st interview was on the last week of November 2016; 2nd interview was on the first week of February 2017. 2.5 months later I guess.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She is a PR she can travel.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

40 minutes ago, CareBear said:

Oh no I'm so so sorry to read this :( I know how excited you were about finally getting the interview date. I don't know the answer to your question but good luck to her the second time around.

Yes we was so excited since it took soo long for an interview. Now will take even longer. We are hoping the 2nd one will have a better outcome.

19 minutes ago, charmander said:

There was a recent case that went through same issue. Failed 1st interview due to English speaking, passed the 2nd interview. Check their experience if you'd like.

Looking at their timeline; 1st interview was on the last week of November 2016; 2nd interview was on the first week of February 2017. 2.5 months later I guess.

Thanks. I just read through it. My guess was 3 months too. Since it took the 1.5 months from the letter until interview date, we will probably get a letter mid April or sooner hopefully. Glad that she does not have to repeat all the tests again. And definitely hope she don't meet the same IO, as like this person did. It's all about luck I guess.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most countries require citizens to use their own Passports to enter and a good idea to make sure it is up to date.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

apparently according to the USCIS policy manual, 2nd interview "must" be done within 60 to 90 days after the 1st interview.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartB-Chapter4.html

Check item B.2.

Maybe it was a case of nerves? At least for the second interview, she has an idea of what kinds of questions are asked, so maybe she won't be so nervous next time. It's really hard to answer quickly if you're having to process and translate, and if the language switch isn't second nature to her just yet.

Maybe practice answering all sorts of questions about your life together, where you live, etc.  Might help her feel less anxiety and perhaps she'll do better the 2nd time around.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

This happened to my husband. For the 2nd interview, he had the same adjudicator as the first. He asked my husband all 50 yes/no questions on the N-400 application. My suggestion is to go over those questions with your wife.  Then he passed him. My husband didn't have to take the written/oral test again, and he wasn't asked for any proof of our marriage in either interview. 

I think its pretty important for her to be confident with those questions. A lot of them are weird, even to me as an American. Have I been a Communist? Have I ever forced someone into slavery or being a child soldier? Just practice them so she can confidently say "no". 

Edited by Harmonia

3 minutes ago, Harmonia said:

This happened to my husband. For the 2nd interview, he had the same adjudicator as the first. He asked my husband all 50 yes/no questions on the N-400 application. My suggestion is to go over those questions with your wife.  Then he passed him. My husband didn't have to take the written/oral test again, and he wasn't asked for any proof of our marriage in either interview. 

Thank you. I read your post. It put a little comfort in us for the 2nd interview. We will definitely go over everything on the application. How long did it take until you got the letter for another appt? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I don't see how her own country could not let her in.... Once there she could get a new passport. No need for a travel document. She can re-enter the US with her GC.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ortolan said:

Maybe it was a case of nerves? At least for the second interview, she has an idea of what kinds of questions are asked, so maybe she won't be so nervous next time. It's really hard to answer quickly if you're having to process and translate, and if the language switch isn't second nature to her just yet.

Maybe practice answering all sorts of questions about your life together, where you live, etc.  Might help her feel less anxiety and perhaps she'll do better the 2nd time around.

I think it was a case of nerves. I was, or I thought I was, as cool as a cucumber when I was doing the Interview. Everything went well, suddenly the IO asked me the date that I got married and the date that my daughter was born, my mind went totally blank for seconds and it felt like eternity. Given that we just celebrated our Wedding Anniversary last month and I just gave birth to my daughter last year... 

Edited by Kim&Jos
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.