peachtree

Failed 1st interview. Question about 2nd interview.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

There should be a process of renewing her passport from within the US. Regardless, it's fairly easy to research what ID the airline would require.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

please can somebody tell me how many examination we should have  in  N-400 interview? i'm waiting for the interview to be scheduled, not ready yet for any interview but just curious to know,

i believe  the IO in the interview ask questions from the 100 question, and ask to write something in English, that's it!!! i see in this case questions/ Answers in English, 

Please help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, peachtree said:

We are unsure if the airports here will accept her expired passport. 

Usually they will not, I was thinking they definitely will not. Hence the need to renew it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
3 hours ago, Harmonia said:

This happened to my husband. For the 2nd interview, he had the same adjudicator as the first. He asked my husband all 50 yes/no questions on the N-400 application. My suggestion is to go over those questions with your wife.  Then he passed him. My husband didn't have to take the written/oral test again, and he wasn't asked for any proof of our marriage in either interview. 

I think its pretty important for her to be confident with those questions. A lot of them are weird, even to me as an American. Have I been a Communist? Have I ever forced someone into slavery or being a child soldier? Just practice them so she can confidently say "no". 

This is very odd that he had the same adjudicator because their rules state that they cannot review the same case twice - so if a file will be placed in their queue that they have reviewed before , they will need to swap with another IO. This ensures fair review.

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Filed: Timeline
On 3/24/2017 at 5:49 PM, candybabe said:

This is very odd that he had the same adjudicator because their rules state that they cannot review the same case twice - so if a file will be placed in their queue that they have reviewed before , they will need to swap with another IO. This ensures fair review.

Its too bad. We had read on here that he wouldn't have the same interviewer, so my husband was somewhat shocked when it was the same man. The adjudicator passed him and commented that his English had improved. I call BS. His interviews were a couple months apart. I speak 2 languages at native level, 1 language conversationally, and have studied 2 additional languages in college. There's no way someone can master English in 2 months. But whatever, yesterday he took his oath and is now a citizen!

Coincidentally, at the oath ceremony check in, there were various USCIS officials present. The person on the mic said, "if you have any questions, please ask us. You may recognize some of us from your naturalization interview". My husband's interviewer was not there. The USCIS official speaking on the mic himself had an accent (German perhaps?) and it was difficult for me to understand him with the echo in the large, historic building.  

On 3/24/2017 at 2:49 PM, peachtree said:

Thank you. I read your post. It put a little comfort in us for the 2nd interview. We will definitely go over everything on the application. How long did it take until you got the letter for another appt? 

It took about a month and a half. But it was over the holidays, so that may have slowed things down. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Harmonia said:

Its too bad. We had read on here that he wouldn't have the same interviewer, so my husband was somewhat shocked when it was the same man. The adjudicator passed him and commented that his English had improved. I call BS. His interviews were a couple months apart. I speak 2 languages at native level, 1 language conversationally, and have studied 2 additional languages in college. There's no way someone can master English in 2 months. But whatever, yesterday he took his oath and is now a citizen!

Coincidentally, at the oath ceremony check in, there were various USCIS officials present. The person on the mic said, "if you have any questions, please ask us. You may recognize some of us from your naturalization interview". My husband's interviewer was not there. The USCIS official speaking on the mic himself had an accent (German perhaps?) and it was difficult for me to understand him with the echo in the large, historic building.  

Congratulations to your husband!!!  Now you two can celebrate that the journey is finally over!!  Best wishes to you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 3/31/2017 at 11:40 AM, Harmonia said:

But whatever, yesterday he took his oath and is now a citizen!

Congratulations!! It doesn't matter anymore but did he ever get his 10 yr card or he surrendered his 2 yr card at he oath ceremony?

4 hours ago, charmander said:

Congratulations!! It doesn't matter anymore but did he ever get his 10 yr card or he surrendered his 2 yr card at he oath ceremony?

He never received it. Our Representative's staffer contacted USCIS, who said he would ONLY get the 10 year green card if he didn't pass naturalization.

At the naturalization swearing in ceremony, they asked everyone to turn in their green card. He signed a form saying his 2 year green card was "destroyed by USCIS" (their category). They took it when he did an INFOPASS and got a stamp in his passport after the 1 year ROC extension letter expired. It was not a problem. 

Edited by Harmonia

• 2 months later...

Well 2nd time is the charm. My girlfriend passed her citizenship interview this morning on the 2nd try. It took two months to received the 2nd interview letter, then the appointment was two weeks after.

This time around it was a breeze, no civic question, just reading / writing, questions from the application and some personal questions. It was a different IO this time around. The IO was very surprised she failed the 1st time. My gf speak clearly and read perfectly. Held a little conversion with the IO just fine. This really lead me to believe the IO makes a huge difference, depend on what type person they are and what mood they are in. Now just waiting for the oath letter. Hopefully not long! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the update.  What a relief for both of you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

19 hours ago, peachtree said:

Well 2nd time is the charm. My girlfriend passed her citizenship interview this morning on the 2nd try. It took two months to received the 2nd interview letter, then the appointment was two weeks after.

This time around it was a breeze, no civic question, just reading / writing, questions from the application and some personal questions. It was a different IO this time around. The IO was very surprised she failed the 1st time. My gf speak clearly and read perfectly. Held a little conversion with the IO just fine. This really lead me to believe the IO makes a huge difference, depend on what type person they are and what mood they are in. Now just waiting for the oath letter. Hopefully not long! 

Congratulations! What a huge weight off both your minds this must be!

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.