Penguin_ie

Trump's published Immigration policies MEGATHREAD

641 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
1 hour ago, A & Y said:

Hi Everyone,

I need a sincere advice from everyone. I'm a citizen of United States and we have planned to visit Pakistan this February. My husband is green card holder from Pakistan. As of present situation, I'm confused whether it will impact on us or not. Though he is traveling with me and I'm gonna with him when entering back to the US.

Thanks!

I wouldn't risk it. The parts involved in the decision have gone back and forth about whether or not Green Card holders from those countries are allowed back in, so there's no guarantee that by the time you need to head back, he'll be allowed in. Furthermore, it's been reported that some CBS agents are in contempt of court, refusing people detained at airports to see lawyers, etc. Since the Executive Order was issued with no guidelines to apply it, there seems to be chaos all around on how to enforce. It could happen that your husband encounters a POE with misinformed or uncaring CBS agents, or that the ban is back in full force by then, etc. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, verneforchat said:

This is standard for secondary processing for suspicious people at CBP. See Border security on Netflix. I had no idea they could ask to see your laptop or mobile phones, texts etc

However, now, I am guessing they will be doing this a lot more?

This is something I find interesting.  When I was sent to secondary almost three years ago I was told by cbp that they absolutely were not allowed to do this.  They said that they could not go through my cell or my computer, nobody could be called to verify plans etc.  this was at a pre screen in Toronto.  Even the supervisor said the same thing

1 hour ago, A & Y said:

Hi Everyone,

I need a sincere advice from everyone. I'm a citizen of United States and we have planned to visit Pakistan this February. My husband is green card holder from Pakistan. As of present situation, I'm confused whether it will impact on us or not. Though he is traveling with me and I'm gonna with him when entering back to the US.

Thanks!

I agree with others advising you not to go right now. I was listening to NPR's call in show "Indivisible" last night, and a man called saying he is a US citizen of Pakistani descent and he and his wife were detained at a US airport this weekend for hours after returning from their honeymoon. He said no explanation was given, they were kept in a holding area and finally released just before their connecting flight took off. You can listen to it here: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/indivisible/ (it's the most recent episode, this guys calls in at around the 15 min. mark).

Spoiler

2/25/16...Mailed I-129F packet to Dallas lockbox

2/27/16...USPS confirms delivery at post office

3/3/16...Money order cashed

3/4/16...NOA1 email/text

5/26/16...NOA2 email/text

6/17/16...NVC received

6/20/16...Case number assigned

6/29/16...Medical

7/12/16...Interview Approved!

7/13/16...Visa in Administrative Processing

7/14/16...Visa Issued
7/19/16...Visa received (courier)
7/25/16...Arrival in US ❤️ (via Dublin POE)

8/1/16...City Hall wedding

8/9/16...Mailed AOS, EAD, AP packet to Chicago lockbox

8/12/16...NOA1 email/text

8/30/16...Received biometrics letter

9/2/16...Early walk-in biometrics at Portland, ME field office

10/17/16...EAD/AP status changed to "Approved"

11/1/16...Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

3/22/17...AOS approved without interview

3/30/17...Green Card received in mail

ROC

2/11/19...Mailed I-751 packet to Dallas lockbox

2/15/19...Package delivered by USPS

2/19/19...Text message - receipt notice 

2/20/19...Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Transborderwife said:

When I was sent to secondary almost three years ago I was told by cbp that they absolutely were not allowed to do this.  They said that they could not go through my cell or my computer, nobody could be called to verify plans etc.  this was at a pre screen in Toronto.  Even the supervisor said the same thing

They can do anything they please, including taking your car apart piece by piece.

The only prohibited act that I can think of is opening a sealed postal envelope with uncanceled stamps on it.

In my experience, most CBP agents are in a foul mood and are looking to nail someone.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

They can do anything they please, including taking your car apart piece by piece.

The only prohibited act that I can think of is opening a sealed postal envelope with uncanceled stamps on it.

In my experience, most CBP agents are in a foul mood and are looking to nail someone.

Oh I believe you, I knew that beforehand too I'm just surprised that they told me that they couldn't 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nothing new about people being held up for hours at any immigration POE.

Neighbors of mine have son-in-law from a South American country.

Neighbors, their daughter, the son-in-law and 2 children went for day visit to Canada.

Upon re-entry to USA, they were all detained for close to 6 hours.

The son-in-law had name identical to another on the no-fly list.

After each hour or so, neighbor went to window to ask what was happening.

He was told to shut up and go sit back down.

As I posted before . . . I tell my wife that each time she goes back home to visit family that she is taking a chance of having trouble re-entering the USA. 

Nothing is guaranteed for visa holders and even green card holders.  Only citizens of USA are guaranteed re-entry . . . but even they can be arrested and sent to lock up pending trial, etc.

Edited by Leo7777

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 30-1-2017 at 2:43 AM, Leo7777 said:

If anyone believes this . . . I have a bridge for sale.

I would not be to shure about that, last year i made an paper error on the date of my visa waiver by 1 day, dit not even really overstay, but still got detained for a night the next time i tryed to enter because thy say i lied on the visa waiver form by saying i had not overstaid. The people that detained me in the afternoon dit not give me anything to eat and was helt for about 21 hours  it took them about 10 hours  before they tolt me why i was there. my phone was taken, the refuced to call my fiance (back then boyfriend), and sayd i had no right to legal presentation.  The new shift of people that opened my cell the next day gave me food and released me because i was detained over a missunderstanding.
This experiance is exept for the handcuffs the same, but i dit have to give them my shoes belt and yewlery and was not allowed to hand them to to officers but had to slide them across the room. And i have not broken  law in my whole life i wait for a red light at a crosswalk withouth any trafic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, A & Y said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

You and I are in the same exact boat. We are seriously thinking of canceling our trip to Pakistan in March (everyone I have spoken with is advising as such). I am just waiting a week or two to see if anything clears up before cancelling. 

Spoiler

5994d2f5ec3b4_OurStory.jpg.4a7b1c95cdc55c357b8ae1d0d480a5f8.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I really wish people from non-affected countries would stop feeding into the mass hysteria over this issue. Yes, I understand that everyone is nervous, yes I understand there is some confusion, yes I agree the roll-out was poorly executed, but unless you are from or are a dual national from one of the countries on the list please calm down. This is not a permanent "ban" it is a temporary 90  suspension of entry into the US from the 7 countries on the list. The President has full authority to do this and it is legal. Stop believing everything you hear from the main stream media or read on social media. They are in the process of clarifying the gray areas and clearly communicating to CBP as to how and who this applies to. This whole process is stressful enough without bringing more stress onto yourself unnecessarily.

Timeline
Just now, theresaL said:

I really wish people from non-affected countries would stop feeding into the mass hysteria over this issue. Yes, I understand that everyone is nervous, yes I understand there is some confusion, yes I agree the roll-out was poorly executed, but unless you are from or are a dual national from one of the countries on the list please calm down. This is not a permanent "ban" it is a temporary 90  suspension of entry into the US from the 7 countries on the list. The President has full authority to do this and it is legal. Stop believing everything you hear from the main stream media or read on social media. They are in the process of clarifying the gray areas and clearly communicating to CBP as to how and who this applies to. This whole process is stressful enough without bringing more stress onto yourself unnecessarily.

So empathy isn't a thing anymore?

3 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Who is to say they won't extend the ban further?!! we know nothing, even the lawyers no nothing. Obviously not knowing is going to naturally cause fear in people. But I agree that people should take responsibility for their actions. People have voted for him and now have to live with the consequences. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I reserve my empathy for the people who are directly affected by this. You might not think it but my employment is indirectly affected, so yes, I am concerned too, but I'm not going to get hysterical with playing the what if game.

Would you not advise people to be calm and wait until more is known? or prefer to perpetuate the hysteria and fear mongering? This thread is to talk about known policy there is another thread for speculation.

Timeline
Just now, theresaL said:

I reserve my empathy for the people who are directly affected by this. You might not think it but my employment is indirectly affected, so yes, I am concerned too, but I'm not going to get hysterical with playing the what if game.

Would you not advise people to be calm and wait until more is known? or prefer to perpetuate the hysteria and fear mongering? This thread is to talk about known policy there is another thread for speculation.

The facts are out there now, people are indeed being affected 

15 minutes ago, theresaL said:

That's one opinion, but many others would disagree. Again, I think it's dangerous to put opinions out there as fact.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Timeline
27 minutes ago, theresaL said:

I think there’s a significant different between being prepared and being hysterical.

We came on here to share our opinions, experiences, and information. It is better to be prepared for the unexpected, in order to act properly should the situation arise. What numbers to call? Who to call for help? What are your rights? How people handle the situation similar to yours? Be prepared. Be resourceful and gather information in order to make informed decision whether or not you should engage in high risk activities.

Did you know that they were going to sign 7 countries ban over the past week? Would you have told those people coming from the 7 countries to not be hysterical and resume normal routine and normal process of entering the country? Anything could happen and more countries could be added.

To not be prepared and underestimate situation is not smart either.

Edited by SerenaS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.