Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Missing My Fiance said:

@KM & ST How did you know they are scheduling Fiancé’s from April/May? Is there a website with this information on it? I’ve searched but can’t find any information. Swedish embassy received my fiancé’s paperwork in July. Thanks for any help. 

Unfortunately they (not just Sweden but all the embassies) have declined to share this information publicly. So the months they are currently processing is gleaned from talking to lots of people in the queue. I made a spreadsheet a while back that compiled all the cases I could get information on in order to calculate a timeline. Its sort of anecdotal, but appears accurate.

16 minutes ago, Missing My Fiance said:

@KM & ST How did you know they are scheduling Fiancé’s from April/May? Is there a website with this information on it? I’ve searched but can’t find any information. Swedish embassy received my fiancé’s paperwork in July. Thanks for any help. 

I am not sure where I saw it, but I remember seeing someone with April K visa being scheduled. That being said, the September/October visa interview slots are already out and selected, so if you don't already have one your October 2nd plans might be tough. Unless you try to get it expediated somehow, any chance your fiancé received a US visa in the past 2 years?

Edited by tunuki

5 hours ago, tunuki said:

Wow, did not know that. Doesn't effect me personally as I am employment based and looking grim for anytime this year anyway, but I am very surprised K-visas are getting prioritized over CR1/IR1. Maybe it is because K is technically a NIV and CR1/IR1 are IVs, they want to say that they have been issuing NIV as well as IV? Can't think of a reason tbh.

In any case I hope the removal of restrictions in Sweden from Sep 29 lets them justify more interview slots. That and the recent update that they can schedule F, M, and academic J without the need for in person interviews in some cases will help speed up the process.

A group of K-applicants got together and launched a class action lawsuit against the State Department for prioritizing IVs during pandemic, so they changed course and have been focusing on Ks for several months. Not sure why did decided to get the Ks so far ahead of IVs instead of just catching up though. Who knows.

I am also crossing my fingers the end of Sept Covid restriction cutoff in Sweden makes a difference! But I dont feel confident!

16 hours ago, KM & ST said:

A group of K-applicants got together and launched a class action lawsuit against the State Department for prioritizing IVs during pandemic, so they changed course and have been focusing on Ks for several months. Not sure why did decided to get the Ks so far ahead of IVs instead of just catching up though. Who knows.

I am also crossing my fingers the end of Sept Covid restriction cutoff in Sweden makes a difference! But I dont feel confident!

I think you should keep spirits up, its an unfortunate situation tbh, but unless you can find a reason expedite (working in medical fields) there is little we can do. Best of luck and hope you get an interview in the November batch!

Edited by tunuki

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Wow, those wait times seem crazy! All the best to everyone waiting.

I'm not quite sure what the situation is at the Finland embassy exactly but I just read that someone DQ'd on 27/08/2021 had got their CR1 interview scheduled for 07/10.

Married 03/18/2020
PD 06/15/2020
I-130 approved 06/17/2021
NVC sent 07/21/2021
DQ'd 10/06/2021
Interview 12/09/2021
Visa received 01/11/2022
Moved to the US 01/16/2022

We DQ'ed in March and I've been in a constant state of stress since at least August since we've got no news from Embassy or NVC. So thanks so much for sharing guys, really reassuring to see that other people are going through the same! And great to at least know that people who DQ'ed in October/November are finally getting interviews.

Anyone know how often the embassy schedule interviews for I130/IR1-applicants (e.g once a month)?

Edited by ImpatientNija

19 minutes ago, ImpatientNija said:

We DQ'ed in March and I've been in a constant state of stress since at least August since we've got no news from Embassy or NVC. So thanks so much for sharing guys, really reassuring to see that other people are going through the same! And great to at least know that people who DQ'ed in October/November are finally getting interviews.

Anyone know how often the embassy schedule interviews for I130/IR1-applicants (e.g once a month)?

I can certainly relate to that feeling!

The embassy seems to schedule once a month. Usually between the ~15th and 21st ish of the month or so.

16 hours ago, KM & ST said:

Not that I don't hope so too, but I am not sure why that would be the case. Am I missing the connection?

Well because in the Department of State statements, they mentioned that opening of consular offices will depend on US and local recommendations and regulations. Sweden will open on 29th, but I guess the embassy could still say that the travel ban is in effect and US regulations don't require us to open too hastily. Maybe with that also disappearing it may let them resume closer to normal operations. 

I guess it might all just be hope 😀😅

Edited by tunuki

2 minutes ago, tunuki said:

Well because in the State Departments statements, they mentioned that opening of consular offices will depend on US and local recommendations and regulations. Sweden will open on 29th, but I guess the embassy could still say that the travel ban is in effect and US regulations don't require us to open too hastily. Maybe with that also disappearing it may let them resume closer to normal operations. 

I guess it might all just be hope 😀😅

The reasoning makes sense - fingers crossed! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My friend's fiance (he is a Norwegian citizen) had his K-1 visa interview back in August. At the time of the interview, he did not have his birth certificate (he waited way too long to get it) so he had to mail it to the embassy after he returned home to Norway. Also, he said he lived in London for 1 year and they asked for a police certificate. However, he technically was in London for under 365 days so he sent them information on that (since you only need a police certificate if you've lived abroad for longer than a year). So he sent in evidence to prove he did not reside in London for a full year. Jump to now, he sent all this information into the embassy and they've asked him to come back to the embassy. They won't tell him why and he must be physically present. He told them he is not comfortable traveling without his passport since he mailed that in with the evidence and his birth certificate, and I think they're going to mail him his passport so he can travel to Sweden. This is very strange- has anyone heard of this happening?

K-1

Nov 23, 2015: I-129F Packet sent to Dallas
Dec 8, 2015: NOA1 hard copy received - Notice dated Dec 1
Jan 16, 2016: NOA2 hard copy received- Noticed dated Jan 11

March 31, 2016: Interview- approved!

June 30, 2016: POE Boston

July 2, 2016: Married

AOS

July 7, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

July 18, 2016: NOA 1 hard copies received

August 11, 2016: Biometric walk in completed

September 22, 2016: EAD/AP Approval notice

November 14, 2017: AOS Interview- approved on the spot!

December 1, 2017: 2 year conditional green card received

ROC

September 16, 2019: I-751 sent

September 23, 2019: NOA1 and 18 month GC extension letter received- packet headed to Vermont

July 25, 2020: Approved, no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kl30morg said:

Hi everyone,

My friend's fiance (he is a Norwegian citizen) had his K-1 visa interview back in August. At the time of the interview, he did not have his birth certificate (he waited way too long to get it) so he had to mail it to the embassy after he returned home to Norway. Also, he said he lived in London for 1 year and they asked for a police certificate. However, he technically was in London for under 365 days so he sent them information on that (since you only need a police certificate if you've lived abroad for longer than a year). So he sent in evidence to prove he did not reside in London for a full year. Jump to now, he sent all this information into the embassy and they've asked him to come back to the embassy. They won't tell him why and he must be physically present. He told them he is not comfortable traveling without his passport since he mailed that in with the evidence and his birth certificate, and I think they're going to mail him his passport so he can travel to Sweden. This is very strange- has anyone heard of this happening?

When I went through the K-1 process in 2016 you needed police clearance documents for each country you have lived in for 6 months or longer since you turned 16. Not 1 year. Did that change in recent years? 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.