ShadowCelica

K-1 Visa Interview Breakdown - What happens (London)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all again ^^ I've decided to write down my experience for the K-1 visa Interview and what happened, so to help those who have yet to go through it. When trawling the internet for any kind of answer myself, I didn't really find anything, so I'm hoping this helps! My visa is a K-1 visa to travel from the UK to the USA ^^

After going through all the processes online, booking the medical exam, and finalizing everything, I was given a date of 27th September as my interview date at the London US Embassy. My time was 12:00, though could be let into the building as early as 11:30 (They allow you in half hour before your given time slot). I had to really try and research up whether I could take my mobile phone in with me... It was never really clear and kept getting mixed signals from different forums, but I can confirm they DO allow you to take your phone in, it's just large rucksacks/weaponry that they have an issue with. And motorbike helmets.

Anyway, I arrived in the park area just outside the Embassy at around 10:30, so I had an hour to kill, panicking to my best friend over the phone and trying to calm down. Once 11:30 hit, I made the short walk over to where I guessed the entrance was, and saw there was a white tent outside the embassy, with the mention of visas running across the top (I can't remember the exact wording, but I knew that's where I had to go). I queued behind a gentleman and waited for a few minutes whilst a lady at a small portable stall took my original embassy letter (The one they send you when the case is first sent to the London Embassy), and my passport. I was then told to wait outside a small greenhouse looking building, where Security would see me through. They don't let you inside until they've checked your passport and letter, and then they do a scan or your bag, and you walk through a metal detector, a very similar process to how the airports do it. Once they clear you, you're let through another glass door, and you're finally in the gates to the Embassy (Still outside the main building however). I followed the path round, and there is a stair case that leads to a small reception inside, to which a very friendly lady looked at my letter, issued me a number, and told me to take a seat in the waiting area.

There are stair cases either side of the reception, but the left one is what leads you to the waiting area, so I followed it up, and finally got to see where I would be for the next 3 hours. It's a long rectangular room, the seats organized in two columns, 5(?) seats in each row, so plenty of places to sit. All the numbers issued have a letter before it, which I can only presume is dependent upon what visa you are applying for. The numbers go up in order, taking into consideration your number. Mine was I 921, and when I first walked in, I 907 was being called, so I had a wait. There's a large screen up the front of the room, where the number flashes up along with what window you need to visit (The windows are rather like the booths you can get at the post office, or travel agent). A noise also goes off to inform you that a number is being called. Eventually my number flashed up, and I was called to a window in the next room, to which I was then speaking with a lady that asked for my documents each in turn.

I was asked who my sponsor was, and I answered it was my fiance, and she made general conversation about my name (Second name being Millen, so I get asked a lot if I'm related to Karen Millen. She's actually my second-cousin XD ). She was friendly, and then once she had all my documents, told me to take a seat back down, and that I'd be called again. This was the longest wait, so be prepared! I got extremely bored and tired during this, I'd forgotten my book in the desperate rush of the morning... though I feel it would have been difficult to concentrate anyway.

My number was eventually called again, and I was asked to go to a different window, to which I realized was my actual interview... talk about nervous! I approached the window to see a (very smiley) woman, who started things quite quickly, after asking how I was, and started asking how my fiance and I met, how many times we'd seen each other, what does he do for a living, how many times have I been over there, how many times has he been here etc etc. It was more like a general conversation than an actual interview, and she seemed really rather interested in what I had to say. After a few moments, she asked about the issues I'd had with my surname, as I appeared to be missing a document. I explained that my original surname was Millen, though in 2003, my mother got married to my stepfather, changing my surname to Smith. In 2013 I changed it back to Millen, after being estranged to my mother for 2 years by that point, but had no documentation of my surname change to Smith (As she withheld all documents and belongings I needed when i moved out, including GCSE results). This meant that various documents were showing up with the Smith surname on them, despite me having Millen legally. I explained what happened, and she seemed to understand, writing on a document for a short few moments, before finally telling me that my visa had been approved.

Talk about relief! She gave me my original documents back, and told me that my visa should be with me within 1-2 weeks, and that I was free to go. The whole interview took around 10 minutes, but honestly felt a lot shorter than that! True to form, I got my visa in the mail on the 4th October, and am now looking forward to flying out!

Hopefully this helps people, and if you have questions at all, I'd be happy to answer them as best as I can, I may do a topic on the medical examination needed prior to the interview.

And to all those of you going for your interview... I wish you the best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

If you filled out your timeline you'd see there's a review function in there with tons of reviews from each embassy around the world. You could add yours too. :)

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=United+Kingdom&cty=&dfilter=5

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thank you for the thorough review of the London embassy! I am sure this will help many!

Congratulations on your approval!!! Welcome to the US!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Anyway, I arrived in the park area just outside the Embassy at around 10:30, so I had an hour to kill, panicking to my best friend over the phone and trying to calm down. Once 11:30 hit, I made the short walk over to where I guessed the entrance was, and saw there was a white tent outside the embassy, with the mention of visas running across the top (I can't remember the exact wording, but I knew that's where I had to go). I queued behind a gentleman and waited for a few minutes whilst a lady at a small portable stall took my original embassy letter (The one they send you when the case is first sent to the London Embassy), and my passport. I was then told to wait outside a small greenhouse looking building, where Security would see me through. They don't let you inside until they've checked your passport and letter, and then they do a scan or your bag, and you walk through a metal detector, a very similar process to how the airports do it. Once they clear you, you're let through another glass door, and you're finally in the gates to the Embassy (Still outside the main building however). I followed the path round, and there is a stair case that leads to a small reception inside, to which a very friendly lady looked at my letter, issued me a number, and told me to take a seat in the waiting area.

Hey,

Im just wondering what letter you are talking about. I have the email I got after I scheduled my interview and paid the fee. I never got a letter from the embassy. My fiancee got an email that included the packet 3 information. Can you expand on this point please.

Edited by stephen1985

Timeline

Hey,

Im just wondering what letter you are talking about. I have the email I got after I scheduled my interview and paid the fee. I never got a letter from the embassy. My fiancee got an email that included the packet 3 information. Can you expand on this point please.

I'm also curious about this. I've read that your email confirmation is all you need, and i don't know when my fiance should expect this letter from the Embassy.

I'm also curious about this. I've read that your email confirmation is all you need, and i don't know when my fiance should expect this letter from the Embassy.

Maybe she's talking about this..

September 23rd -Case status 'Ready.'

October 04th -My Fiance received what I assume is 'packet 3' in the mail.

It was dated September 30th. And basically said:

• London had received our approved petition, to refer to their website for instructions on how to prepare for the interview and how to schedule the appointment.
  • Stated that it also included a copy of the approved I-129F form. (Just the form, not the entire packet.) - this was pretty cool. You see the giant APPROVED stamp on the top of the first page.
  • Included a pamphlet 'Information on the Legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence in the United States and Facts about Immigrating on a Marriage-Based Visa.'
  • States how you still aren't fully approved yet, don't make any travel plans.
  • States all the information on your case to include, should you need to contact them. (Beneficiary's name, birthday, visa type, LND# etc.)

July 13th 2016 -Sent I-129F                                  Nov 07th 2016 -Applied for SSN
July 20th 2016 -NOA 1                                           Nov 12th 2016 -Received SSN in Mail
Sep 02nd 2016 -NOA 2                                          Jan 17th 2017 -Wedding
Sep 14th 2016 -Arrived at NVC                              Jan 23rd 2017 -Sent I-485, I-765, I-131
Sep 19th 2016 -Departed from NVC                      Jan 27th 2017 -NOA 1
Sep 21st 2016 -Arrived at Embassy                       Feb 24th 2017 -Biomentrics Appointment
Sep 23rd 2016 -Case Status: Ready                       April 27th 2017 -EAD/AP Approved!
Sep 29th 2016 -Medical                                         May 3rd 2017 -EAD/AP Combo Card In Hand

Oct 14th 2016 -Interview: Approved!                    Dec 6th 2017 -AOS Approved!

Oct 17th 2016 -Case Status: AP                            Dec 13th 2017 -Greencard In Hand

Oct 20th 2016 -Case Status: Issued

Oct 25th 2016 -Visa In Hand

Oct 30th 2016 -POE O'hare Airport

Timeline

All you need is the printed confirmation of the DS-160 being submitted as far as I recall. There's no letter from the embassy that you have to give them (well wasn't in July) as I didn't receive anything from the embassy in the mail. Also the wait is often MUCH MUCH less than 3-4 hours. I was there a total of 70 minutes from walking in to walking out. Also the visa numbers aren't always called in order so don't fall asleep thinking there's 20 people until your number.

event.png

Timeline

Hey,

Maybe she's talking about this..

September 23rd -Case status 'Ready.'

October 04th -My Fiance received what I assume is 'packet 3' in the mail.

It was dated September 30th. And basically said:

• London had received our approved petition, to refer to their website for instructions on how to prepare for the interview and how to schedule the appointment.
  • Stated that it also included a copy of the approved I-129F form. (Just the form, not the entire packet.) - this was pretty cool. You see the giant APPROVED stamp on the top of the first page.
  • Included a pamphlet 'Information on the Legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence in the United States and Facts about Immigrating on a Marriage-Based Visa.'
  • States how you still aren't fully approved yet, don't make any travel plans.
  • States all the information on your case to include, should you need to contact them. (Beneficiary's name, birthday, visa type, LND# etc.)

I am only going based on what I myself received, i understand it could be different for others! I myself never got an email confirmation to say that the London Embassy had received my case, so I'm guessing this is the same thing, only I had a hard copy instead. The document that Tieary is referring to is the one I was talking about :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If the NVC has your Beneficiary's email they will notify them via email of next steps. Once you schedule your interview you can print out your interview scheduling confirmation page and that will suffice.

If the NVC does not have your Beneficiary's email they will most likely mail you packet 3 to the address they have on the forms. You would take this to the interview with you, or again you can just take the confirmation page from the interview scheduling and you will be okay. Since the change in May there have been many people taking this confirmation page, their DS-160 confirmation page, and other required documents and were let in with no issue. After your interview is scheduled they know you are coming! Don't stress too much about it! They just need confirmation that you know you had your interview that day. You have to be on a list to be let in the US Embassy.

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.