Evic1957

Can I register in dv lottery ?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Can I register in dv lottery, knowing I'm single now, but in couple months I will marry a us citizen ?

Can i register without worrying about when applying a visa joining my wife there (It will take years) ?

As well as it doesn't pose a harm to joining my wife (in couple years) which status I can put, single or married ?

Yes, you can enter. You have to be accurate as at the date you enter, i.e. single. If you are selected you would then update your details to married,if applicable.

Remember those selected in this lottery will get visas sometime between October 2017 and September 2018. I don't think it's necessarily the case that it would be faster than a spouse visa? But you can have both applications running simultaneously and go with whichever gets current first.

Timeline

Yes, you can enter. You have to be accurate as at the date you enter, i.e. single. If you are selected you would then update your details to married,if applicable.

Remember those selected in this lottery will get visas sometime between October 2017 and September 2018. I don't think it's necessarily the case that it would be faster than a spouse visa? But you can have both applications running simultaneously and go with whichever gets current first.

thank you

how can i update after submitting it

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Think like an immigration officer doing your interview

your chances of getting selected for dv lottery are slim

and when applying for spouse visa, you have to say what other visas to US you applied for

then, looks like shopping for a green card and not serious about the relationship

chances of getting denied when they see this are great especially in Morocco

Edited by Adil & Jeanne

Timeline

and when applying for spouse visa, you have to say what other visas to US you applied for

then, looks like shopping for a green card and not serious about the relationship

but poeple said, you don't have to worry about

is it considered intend to imigrate ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, both the spousal visa and the DV lottery visa are immigration visas.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Entering the lottery is not intent to immigrate. Winning the lottery is not intent to immigrate. Winning the lottery AND filling in the formal DS260 and submitting is intent to immigrate.

If you are entering now, you won't find out if you have won until May of next year. If you win in May, the point at which you submit the DS260 is the point at which you have an intent to immigrate using the diversity lottery.

thank youhow can i update after submitting it

If you are selected you'll fill in a form called a DS260 if you want to proceed, you can update your details on that.

As Emily said, entering the lottery is not applying for a visa. You only "apply" when you fill in the DS260 after selection. Entering the lottery does not signal immigrant intent, even winning doesn't - it's only when you fill in the DS. So there is no problem entering the lottery. It does not count as applying for a visa. Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We do not know how realistic a Cr1 visa is, DV is good insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You can apply!

Filing for DV lottery is not the same as applying for visa.

No, he doesn't have to say anything about the lottery until has been selected and applied for immigrant visa.

But just make sure that you don't lie on the lottery application form. Cos anything you put on the form could come back and bit you if it is a lie.

Good luck to you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Ok take your chances but i do know they asked my husband if he entered the dv lottery and when he said no, my wife appled for CR 1 the CO said admited good as that would be considered green card shopping

remember people, this is casa embassy in Morocco and high fraud

only those of us who have gone thru this can really understand

Casa thinks of this quite different than other countries

but go ahead and try

be prepared to undergo questions such as have you applied for other visas and have you applied for DV lottery

Registering for the diversity lottery has no effect at all on applying for a spousal visa later.

My husband applied for the DV lottery every year in Morocco but was never selected.

He was approved for a fiance visa the first time we applied without any problems at all.

Apply and good luck!

Timeline

Again people this is Morocco

they do ask

they consider anyone who has an application for a visa and then still enters the dv lottery as green card shopping

it may not be what immigration considers but it is what the casa embassy thinks

this question is asked of many who interview (not all) but many)

and DV lottery is not automatic either

Again, my fiance in Morocco was approved after applying several times for the diversity lottery (and while wearing an engagement band).

Jeanne, I understand that you had a very difficult time bringing your husband here from Morocco, but your case is not typical.

Your case took years, and you are constantly telling people on VJ that it is nearly impossible to bring a male fiance here from Morocco.

Your experience is rather unfortunate, and is not the typical experience. So many people have been successful without any issues at all.

I believe that it is important for you to share your experience with others going through the process so they are aware of how bad things can be, but I think it would be really helpful to others if you stopped making it sound like every couple goes through hell in this Embassy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.