MrsAzzi

Living Separately (Temporarily) During First 2 Years of Conditional Residency

19 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My husband recently immigrated to the US a little over a month ago on the CR-1 visa. He is a conditional resident for the next 2 years. He is currently looking for jobs and we have some decisions to make regarding relocation. I'm thinking ahead to 2 years from now when we file the Form I-751 to remove his conditions and renew his green card and I have a few questions. Our marriage was entered into on good faith and we have a legitimate relationship. We plan to file the Form I-751 jointly when that time comes.

Right now, he is having a hard time finding the specific job he would like to have in the area that we live in. He comes from a very large city and was working on large commercial projects. He really wants to continue to grow his career in the States but feels that our community is very limiting to his work and will not allow him to grow his career in the ways he wants to. He has not had any promising job leads or offers from our area either. However, he has received many job prospects and offers out of state and in larger cities. We are at a point where we are deciding what to do. I have a very promising job and career with my current employer and I am willing to relocate for his career, but the timing is not right at the moment. We are considering that he takes a job and moves while I stay behind until the time is right for me to move with him.

The closest job offer he has received is 2 hours away so we would spend the weekdays apart and the weekends together until I can make the move to be with him permanently. We really don't want either one of us to spend 4 hours of our day driving round-trip to and from work.

I understand that when filing to remove conditions, we have to provide evidence of our relationship including joint occupancy. How does a situation like ours work in this case? Is it permissible to live separately temporarily? If so, what amount of time is considered too long to be apart from each other for USCIS purposes? Is joint occupancy a major factor in proving our relationship or does other evidence like insurance policies that show us each as the beneficiary for each other, etc. help provide sufficient proof?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

CR-1

08/26/2015 Married

09/21/2015 I-130 Process Started

06/09/2016 Approved at Beirut Embassy

08/25/2016 Atlanta POE

Total CR-1 process time from NOA1 to Approval: 255 days or 8 months and 12 days

Form I-751 Removal of Conditions

05/29/2018 Mailed via USPS to CSC

05/31/2018 Package Delivered to CSC

06/15/2018 NOA1

06/19/2018 Check Cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't think it looks good. You brought him here so you could be together but yet your move apart then he could have stayed in home country and waited those extra 2 years. Also your seperation is voluntarily ... (See it from USCIS eyes)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I really relate to your situation, but it is a difficult one. Living apart will certainly be scrutinized, so how solid is your case otherwise?

Do you (plan to) own property together?

Do you have a specific plan for when/how the separation will end?

How long had you been together before you married/applied for the CR1? Had he applied for any other visas (DV, work, etc)?

Just a few questions from the top of my head.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I used to do a long commute, many do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

For Americans, it is very strange that you would bring your husband to the US to live apart. To many people, this could be a sign of a fake marriage for a green card. Insurance listing each other as beneficiary can be done by fakers as well as real marriages. Fakers don't live together, they often live apart. Hope you can see why living apart is not a good idea.

Our situation was identical to yours. same distance, same reason for the move. i was the beneficiary and now a proud american.our process went timely and smooth. the proofs that goes along with 751 are pretty much the same. the distance in such a situation is a non issue especially when the relationship is genuine.send new pics, new taxes,co mingled finances,assets and some more affidavits(although regarded poor piece of evidence). you guys will be okay. by the way my local office was des moines as well and that is where i was interviewed for N400. good luck to you guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

And, when it comes time to apply for the I-751, be sure that your cover letter explains up front what has happened to you - job-wise. Keep records like crazy. Put together a timeline that shows that he arrived on x date, looked for work locally, and accepted a job on y date. Do as much together as you can.

You will be OK. You just have to be very detailed in your paperwork.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

I used to do a long commute, many do.

No need to have two plus hours of commute. You can maintain two residences with appropriate paper trail to evidence that you are legit married couple.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the situation might be a cause of concern for the USCIS and may not look good but if you have to do it, try and get legal advice from a lawyer on the situation. It'd be wise to collect as much evidence as possible. For example, some proof of him not finding the job he needs, the reason you can not relocate, proof of your meetings and staying together on weekends, letters from family and friends, lots of pictures, joint bills... etc and hopefully it'd work out.

Of course this is just my opinion... I do think it might be best if you two can find a solution and be able to live together. good luck! :)

iuV9m4.png

ROC journey!

2018-10-09   Filed ROC 1-751

2018-10-17   E-notification - RECEIVED

2018-11-13   NOA1- RECEIVED

2019-06-22   Biometrics letter - RECEIVED

2019-07-01   Biometrics appointment

2019-08-02   RFE

2019-08-23   RFE response was received

2019-09-04   Status changed to Card Being Produced!

Last signature update: 2019-09-05.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't think it looks good. You brought him here so you could be together but yet your move apart then he could have stayed in home country and waited those extra 2 years. Also your seperation is voluntarily ... (See it from USCIS eyes)

USCIS is actually fairly reasonable about these types of cases. My husband has worked in the past for a company that had him away for 4 days straight out of every week. That is not at all an uncommon situation in the trades. He'd do it year round if he lost his current job for the money, it is about 40% more than he makes when he stays local.

OP, there have definitely been cases approved like that on the forum. Don't fret!

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

My husband and I have lived 2 1/2 hours apart for work reasons, since 6 months after we were married. We were able to remove conditions, no problem. We included a letter detailing our reasons for living apart, and even said we might not live together until we retire (at least 10 years from now). Our careers are extremely location-specific, though.

Edited by ricnally

Could compromise on the commute. His job is 2 hours from your current residence. How about getting a place that is in the middle, 1 hour from either job. No need to pay for 2 residences, saves money, etc.

Aug 2, 2011 - Met online via a mutual friend.
Dec 2, 2011 - Vivian traveled to USA to attend a medical conference and had our first date. On Dec 10, 2011 - Vivian returned home.
May 15,2012 - Vivian traveled to USA to spend a month with me. smile.png
Sep 15,2012 - Met Vivian in Frankfurt Germany and on to Prague Czech Republic to celebrate our birthdays.
Sep 24, 2012 - Left Viena Austria. The last time I was with Vivian.
Nov 11, 2012 - Mailed in I-129F
Nov 19, 2012 - NOA1 recieved

June 13, 2013 - NOA2 approved.

June 17, 2013 - NOA2 hard copy received.

June 25, 2013 - Consulate received
July 7, 2013 - Packet 3 received

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 sent

July 28, 2013 - Packet 4 received

Aug 22, 2013 - Interview scheduled and APPROVED!!! kicking.gif

Sept 17, 2013 - Visa in hand

Sept 18, 2013 - Traveled to USA - Arrived at Dulles Airport in Virginia.

Sept 20, 2013 - Wedding!!!

event.png

Please, for heavens sake don't put your/your spouses life/career on hold or turn down a job JUST because you think it will please USCIS - they really don't care, as I am finding out for myself.

Life changes, circumstances can and do change, and often dictate that you do what is necessary,

Keep a paper trail as best you can, and when the time arises, give an honest explanation as to the circumstances.

Modern marriage no longer means ask her father for permission, marry in a church, live together, sleep in the same bed every single nite, do a 9-5, have 2.4 children, pick up from soccer practice every thursday (in the minivan, natch), 1 dog, 1 cat, sex every friday nite, and church on sunday morning.

There are a multitude of ways of being in a genuine, loving and legitimate relationship without physically being together 365 days of the year, and if it is what you have to do, then so be it. Find the solution that works for you.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.