GhQuestions

DCF through Amsterdam - 221g white slip, administrative processing

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband had his interview today at the Amsterdam Embassy and was issued a white slip with Administrative Processing checked, and no request for documents. They did not keep his passport, but told him that he should probably expect to hear from them within 2 weeks.

He could not think of any specific moment in the interview that signaled what set them off.

Most resources I can find that have to do with 221(g) white slips are for H1-B visas, not CR/IR-1. Also, I've seen some sources say that white slip means it's being sent "back" to USCIS, but we filed directly via an exception, so I'm not sure to what extent USCIS has been involved at all up to this point.

Any ideas or advice? Anyone else get white-slipped by Amsterdam in the past?

Edited by GhQuestions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:time:

What type of visa did he apply for CR1/IR1 or DCF?

What questions did they ask him at the interview?

Does your relationship have any red flags?

Really don't have much info from you to give much advice at this point

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

DCF is not a "kind of visa" it is the name of the process.

He applied for a spousal visa R1/CR1.

OP don't mean to scare you but from what I have read here the year I have been a member, them not keeping passport, not great.

That said , each Embassy has their own little quirks and internal mechanisms and I am sure tons of people will chip in and say how their passports were not kept but they got their visas or the opposite.

We did DCF too (in Greece) and they kept oir passports and gave us a 221g. They did tell ua they weren't sure about approval but they gave it to ua anyway once we turnes in the missing documents.

Took about 2 weeks.

Interview was June 15th, visas were approved June 29th we flew out July 19th.

There is a dedicated AP forum here if you look. They might be able to help!!

Sorry about typos; I am on my phone

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you should post in Europe regional forum. You or your spouse maybe a Ghanaian but your process does not involve Ghana. And we can't be of help when your process took place in another country. Change your country color so that your post might be sent to the right forum.

Fill out your timeline. You have given us no info but what answers.

We can't advise you on something we know little about. This is the 2nd time I have seen your posting in Ghana forum and they seem to be a little "vague" . Be specific and add some details or give us the back story so that people can give you ideas as to why this is happening.

Answer LionessDeon's questions, it will help you get answers.

Good luck to you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

A 221g is given when :

1. they need more documents

2. petition is returned

3. security / background checks/ document verification is needed

All you can do is wait and be patient and if it turns into months rather than weeks of waiting you email them about your status

periodically. No one knows how long it will take or what they are checking.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry I never came back, got caught up at work. To update info for other people in the future, in case anyone is ever interested:

We applied for an exception to do DCF and in Amsterdam and were granted permission to do so.

• When we got permission we were told to file I-130s in person a week later. We did so.
  • We received packet three in the mail less than two weeks later, immediately sent that we were ready for interview, and received a date about 6 weeks later (this was this past Tuesday)
  • He got put into AP for a week, and was approved today. We don't know what the AP was about. Questions they focused on were his ex and children with her and whether I know about them (I do, we lived together in Ghana for years), whether he had ever had police issues in the US (he never had, but they kept asking over and over).

Regarding moving to another forum, I think his country of origin is still relevant, especially given the suspicion that Ghanaian passport holders have to deal with. Neither of us are Dutch, even though we went through the Amsterdam consulate.

Anyways, it all worked out now. I need to update my own chart and then I'll fill in the formal timeline so the datapoints come up for other people.

Edited by GhQuestions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the update!

For what it's worth, I agree with you that the fact he is from Ghana is very relevant, and may have caused the (thankfully short) AP.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Unfortunately starting a DCF I-130 process in Amsterdam isn't possible anymore, unless you qualify for exeptional circumstances.

WASHINGTON - Effective Aug. 15, 2011, petitioners residing in countries without USCIS offices must file their Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) lockbox facility in Chicago. This change makes the filing process more efficient and gives USCIS greater flexibility in managing its workload.

Petitioners residing in a country with a USCIS office may send their petitions to the USCIS Chicago lockbox, or file at the USCIS office in that country. Overseas petitioners filing with the lockbox should expect processing times similar to petitions filed domestically, which currently stand at five months.

Based on a Policy Memorandum published in July 2011, these petitioners will also be granted more time to respond to Requests for Evidence (RFE). Applicants and petitioners residing outside the United States are now given up to 12 weeks to respond to RFEs, plus an additional 14 days to account for overseas mail.

Previous regulations permitted individuals overseas, who comprise about 5 percent of all I-130 petitioners, to file with USCIS or their local U.S. Embassy or consulate. Under the new process, USCIS may authorize the Department of State to adjudicate their case in certain emergency situations, including when:

• A U.S. service member stationed overseas becomes aware of a new deployment or transfer with very little notice.
  • A petitioner or beneficiary is facing an urgent medical emergency that requires immediate travel.
  • A petitioner or beneficiary is facing an imminent threat to personal safety.
  • A beneficiary is within a few months of aging out of eligibility.
  • The petitioner and family have traveled for the immigrant visa interview, but the petitioner has naturalized and the family member(s) require a new, stand-alone petition.
  • The petitioner adopted a child and there is an imminent need to leave the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** over a year old thread closed. Please pay attention to the date of the Op and the last reply before replying to threads.  ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.