paulwarburg2016

Who's screening the refugees?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Let me first say that I am a legal immigrant who came on an H1-B from Turkey. Me and my family have been in the US for over 20 years.

It scares me to think that millions of people are fleeing the Middle East as refugees and are coming to US/Canada/Eurozone and not much inspection takes place when the are given permanent status. I am very certain that majority of these people do not have passports from their respective countries and are not checked by USCIS/FBI/other agencies as far as the terrorist threat is concerned.

Who does background checks to see whether ISIS members aren't posing as refugees and coming to the US? We have had many incidents such as San Bernardino, Orlando etc. 9/11 was the biggest and those people were on visas!

Does any person know whether the refugees are vetted before they come over? Or are we just incompetent? It feels like an insult to people who came here jumping through immigration hurdles!

Of course they are vetted, like any other immigrant. Why else do you think it takes them years to get the refugee status? How do you think they get on a plane with no paperwork?

Refugees go to refugee camps and then they are distributed by country according to an international agreement. The people that are selected to go the US have to go through all the same background checks that all immigrants go through, and it takes years. I don't mean to harp on you, but I don't get why people think that refugees just arrive here. How do they get here? People can just cross the border into Turkey, but people can't do that here. I am sure people of a certain persuasion want to scare others and will say that they can get in from Mexico, but they can't get to Mexico either without a passport/visa.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

How do the government agencies do background checks on them when they are from countries under hostile regimes such as the Assad government or the Iranian theocracy or the Somali failed state? Obviously they have to find out whether the said person wasn't into malicious activities in their country of origin?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

All the recent acts of terrorism like San Bernardino and the Boston Marsthon must have been perpetrated by people who were vetted on a Friday or a Monday right before or after a holiday weekend.

How do the government agencies do background checks on them when they are from countries under hostile regimes such as the Assad government or the Iranian theocracy or the Somali failed state? Obviously they have to find out whether the said person wasn't into malicious activities in their country of origin?

Right, and that's why cases get put in Administrative Processing for possibly years. What exactly they do in Administrative Processing is classified so people can't game the system. The US isn't going to advertise what kind of information and spy stuff they have. But people don't get approved refugee status just because they are refugees. They also need to pass the checks like anyone else.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Let me first say that I am a legal immigrant who came on an H1-B from Turkey. Me and my family have been in the US for over 20 years.

It scares me to think that millions of people are fleeing the Middle East as refugees and are coming to US/Canada/Eurozone and not much inspection takes place when the are given permanent status. I am very certain that majority of these people do not have passports from their respective countries and are not checked by USCIS/FBI/other agencies as far as the terrorist threat is concerned.

Who does background checks to see whether ISIS members aren't posing as refugees and coming to the US? We have had many incidents such as San Bernardino, Orlando etc. 9/11 was the biggest and those people were on visas!

Does any person know whether the refugees are vetted before they come over? Or are we just incompetent? It feels like an insult to people who came here jumping through immigration hurdles!

Have you never heard of Google?

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

To address your concerns: all of the cases you point out had nothing to do with illegal immigrants or refugees. One of the events you mention, Orlando was perpetrated by a terrorist as homegrown as any that can be found in America. For the SB attacks, this was a fairly clear case of immigration fraud and bad judgment calls from those probably at California Service Center.. and the consulate. They sent in very bare bones paperwork, and I think it's been made clear since then heads rolled because of it. Such an event was literally the first of it's kind in America.

AP is used very commonly by our government and the type of checks involved can tie up cases for years with no answers. The process isn't something that would be out in the open to understand by the general public, that understand immigrant very little overall... and it's certainly not going to be explained on TV by pundits. Refugees are vetted perhaps even more rigorously of a degree than yourself. 9/11 was a product of it's time and things have changed a great deal since then.

If you and your family came from Turkey, a country which certainly does have elements of waring Islamist activity, and you made it here legally and passed all of those checks... do you not feel what you passed was adequate? How do you know exactly how much inspection takes place? Is it based on just what you've heard? Or have you investigated the process? You agree that hoops are jumped through, and I can tell you that refugees have a great degree of hoop jumping to do.. just like any other immigrant... and then have to deal with being ripped out of their homes under threat of violence and thrust into a new world which is proving to be hostile and suspiciously paranoid to them.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I believe they check Instagram, apparently pretty foolproof even in the worst war zones.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Regardless of the lies those on the loony left tell…..they cannot vet the refugees properly. ISIS currently is exploiting this weakness. Just a matter of time before they make it in or attack if they have already made it in.

Regardless of the lies those on the loony left tell…..they cannot vet the refugees properly. ISIS currently is exploiting this weakness. Just a matter of time before they make it in or attack if they have already made it in.

Be careful with the truth. It's like holy water on a vampire to members of the MDL

Regardless of the lies those on the loony left tell..they cannot vet the refugees properly. ISIS currently is exploiting this weakness. Just a matter of time before they make it in or attack if they have already made it in.

Start showing any concerns about the death toll caused by born and raised Americans and then get back to us about your thus far baseless fear of what 'might' happen caused by the refugees.

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/sep/06/mexico-african-asian-migration-us-exit-permit

Most have travelled thousands of miles on foot, by boat and bus from South America, but few here speak Spanish. In front of the locked gates near Mexico’s southern border, it’s an eclectic mix of French, English, Creole, Urdu, Lingala and Somali.

This eclectic crowd is part of a huge surge in African and Asian migrants traversing the Americas in hope of a better life in the US. The circuitous passage means paying thousands of dollars to coyotes – or people smugglers – to cross 10 countries, where overcrowded fishing boats, mosquito-infested jungles, armed bandits and immigration agents await.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”