kingjulian

Don't give advice if you don't have a specific info

16 posts in this topic

Well I will say it's bad to take advise from Internet strangers. Immigration process is unique in each case. It's always good to hear from others based on their person experience but it's your job to do your research. Call uscis for confirmation and if an attorney is involved, then take their advise after your RESEARCH. Bottom line is do your research. Any advise given on such forum is for personal experiences only. Doesn't mean all go in the same route. I totally understand you but it's your case and you have to take charge.

I agree with you

I'm a USC

I was married and I'm still aboard so haven't legally (by USA standards) changed my name to my husband all my ids are in my maiden name and I asked here if it was ok to use my husbands last name for the application (doing dcf)

One person said what do you want your green card to say (mind you I told him I'm the USC by birth and last I knew USC don't get green cards )

Everyone else said yes use your husband last name

I call the embassy and my ID must match the name on the application or it can cause me problems when leaving to go back home

I'm glad I checked with the embassy first before filing but the op must realize every case is different but still if you have that much concern why are you asking strangers on the Internet for advice ?? From someone who knew nothing about the immigration process I find vj extremely helpful but at the same time I realize every case is different

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Since this is a DIY site and not a site full of just immigration lawyers and USCIS agents, you will always have bits of misinformation.

Sorry, but you simply cannot demand that others be correct at all times. Even our resident "experts" who have been here for years can make mistakes when they type, have outdated info, or remember something incorrectly. That is why when a question seems to have been answered already, there are still many other VJ members chiming in either to confirm or deny what was stated. Plus, when I am wrong about process or a step, I would want to know and unfortunately one of the best ways to pound the correct info into youor head is to have lots of other members (figuratively) pound you on your head because of the error. :bonk: Even with a few hiccups here and there, I believe VJ is a wonderful resource that tends to lead others in the right direction.

+1 - this is why I try to reply to threads that only have 1 reply, but I know the replier was 100% correct so as to confirm so the OP can have more confidence. I'm also glad people do that for me - especially when I DO misremember something or find out a new piece of data. This forum works so well because people are able to add additional information, caveats and corrections.

In the case for the OP, folks were most likely giving the information of what USUALLY happens MOST of the time (if it was on a public thread, I can't comment on what someone may say in private). I'm glad the OP seems to be the exception to the norm for their consulate (Ghana is known to be one of the more troublesome ones for folks, and many do end up in AP for long periods of time).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I taught to share this, if someone ask a question here, we should all bear in mind that they are in desperate need of vital info for their visa process, its best not to write anything you're not sure about so as to keep such people confused...why do I say this? During my time in AP, I had some people tell me its gonna be 1 to 3 years, I had some tell me its a denial and all sort of stuff..this got me so worried and had sleepnes night... Contrary to such claims, every approved visa undergoes AP before being finally issued..hence, my advice to not give wrong information when you know you're not sure of what you saying..there are people here who are well vested with the process and when a question is asked, pls lets kindly allow those who have specific and accurate info to advice... Hope this helps

Congratulation on your case sorry you had been stressed during the process I know how you feel I have read allot of VJ cases and looking at some of the post I was sad, confused, down, and lost a lot of sleep tossing and turning Im still waiting for an interview date the case was completed on July 24th don't know when ill get a letter for the interview expecting my first child in November and only God know if I will make it to see my child born its so sad.

People should not answer unless they are sure of the information they are giving.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of users -especially that joined in 2016- and think they can answer every topic and sometimes give wrong advice. I can understand that people want to help but make sure you are sure yourself what you advice to the OP.

I think the best advices are from the people that have been in the same situations or just know it because they are the 'oldies' here.

Edited by stephadams

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

The first answer on one of your threads is by georgia and she said no one can tell you how long.

That was the best answer as ALL cases are different.

:reading:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606603-ceac-status-in-ghana/#entry8271245

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Site Discussion forum -- topic can apply to more than one visa process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Everyone can deal with different AP cases, and a lot of people use acronyms that have multiple meanings.

• There are people who have been in AP for years due to background checks.
  • You can be in AP while waiting for visa production.
  • You can be in AP while the embassy is waiting for more documents.
  • You can be in AP because something went wrong in the process and it's just what they'll default too in the system while preparing the rest of the case.

If anyone said ANYTHING like the above, they are all correct, and all gave sound advice based on their experience. Well vested people, could very well have spent years in AP.

Same goes for 221g's.

There's 221g the denial, and there's 221g with consideration.

A person could tell you their experience with a 221g and how they got denied, and another could tell you that they got a 221g and how they got approved.

So honestly, if anyone says "this happened to me" or "Well when it happened to us", they're not really wrong per se, as every case is different and simple terms like AP can be used many different ways.

It comes down to the OP to weed out the "most likely situation".

If you had an interview and it went well and you were told approved, then AP is most likely just pre-production AP.
If you had an interview and it went well and you were told approved, AP -COULD- still be because it's stuck in background checks, but less likely.
If your interview went okay and were told approved but that it might take a bit, then AP is most likely background checks which could take forever.
If you went to your interview and you were given a 221g for more documents than AP is because they're waiting for requested documents.

Three of the four are all approved situations, which is why so many people can give you advice on the same situation, but be varying in their experience.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

I taught to share this, if someone ask a question here, we should all bear in mind that they are in desperate need of vital info for their visa process, its best not to write anything you're not sure about so as to keep such people confused...why do I say this? During my time in AP, I had some people tell me its gonna be 1 to 3 years, I had some tell me its a denial and all sort of stuff..this got me so worried and had sleepnes night... Contrary to such claims, every approved visa undergoes AP before being finally issued..hence, my advice to not give wrong information when you know you're not sure of what you saying..there are people here who are well vested with the process and when a question is asked, pls lets kindly allow those who have specific and accurate info to advice... Hope this helps

Hire qualified legal professional instead of relying on online information...that too a public forum! Hope this helps!!

I can say not all visas undergo AP. So now you are posting inaccurate information. ;) I had my visa in my hands 24 hours after my interview. I'm pretty sure all they had time for was printing and shipping.

Sometimes people want accurate timelines when there arent any. People then share their personal stories or ones they remember hearing about. It's up to the individual asking the questions to realize opinions are like elbows and to take advice with a grain of salt.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry KingJullian, i had some answers for you! i was just so busy trying to get my fiance things situated That i wasnt able to answer. Yes no worries, the AP you are in at most could last a month. it could be a week or a month of AP before issued and then you good to go get the visa and docs required at point of entry. the hardest part is over!!!!!!!! no more worrying .=)