coleypalazzo

Passport problem - Traveling on holiday after interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Helllo - I have run into a situation. My fiance has his k1 interview at the earliest available date in England on August 31st and the interview needs to be completed by Sept. 8th. The problem is that we have a holiday booked to Spain on September 10th and I have heard that you don't get your passport back for 10-15 business days. Desperately looking for answers.

Timeline

Helllo - I have run into a situation. My fiance has his k1 interview at the earliest available date in England on August 31st and the interview needs to be completed by Sept. 8th. The problem is that we have a holiday booked to Spain on September 10th and I have heard that you don't get your passport back for 10-15 business days. I was told that some people in this group were in this situation and they were able to come back a few days after and pick up the passport. Desperately looking for answers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

With your trip to Spain are you traveling from England to Spain or USA to Spain? If it is USA to Spain your fiance will not be allowed back into the USA as the K-1 is a one time visa. The other thing is the date of your holiday. If he does not get his interview till sept 8 and your holiday is sept 10 it will take a good week (5 business days or more) to get the passport back. Therefore you will need to rebook flights, hotels, etc.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Rule #1 in immigration... Never make plans that can't be changed before the visa, or in your case passport, is in your hands.

They need that time after the interview to actually print the visa into your passport. There is no expedite for printing the visas. They are complex with many security features embedded in them.

If you can't reschedule then after you are approved at the interview you could ask to have the passport returned to you immediately after the interview and you can send it to then for the printing of the visa after your return.

Just explain your travel plans and need for the passport to the officer.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Thanks for the fast response. My fiance Lewis lives in England and I am traveling from the states to England & then we are both going on holiday together from Spain to England for a summer holiday. We obviously didn't realize the passport fiasco. Hoping it comes in time - how gutting. I will make sure Lewis brings our receipts and flight info - I have read somewhere that someone was in this same situation and got to take the passport back the same day (didnt happen in london) - and someone else where they were able to pick up their passport a few days later at the embassy. So frazzled

It has been known that people have been allowed to leave the London embassy with their passports and to return the passport for visa issuance at a later date. How much later you can do this, I don't know. The medical would need to still be valid. It doesn't happen often so there is not much info on this. Most people want their passports back immediately with the visa so they can hurry to their loved ones.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Hi,

I answered you in your other thread. Ask for the passport back immediately after the interview then send it for visa printing after your holiday.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Why can'the just reschedule the interview for after the vacation?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Helllo - I have run into a situation. My fiance has his k1 interview at the earliest available date in England on August 31st and the interview needs to be completed by Sept. 8th. The problem is that we have a holiday booked to Spain on September 10th and I have heard that you don't get your passport back for 10-15 business days. Desperately looking for answers.

It averages 7 days for London to get your passport to you after interview. That doesn't mean something weird won't happen and yours would take longer.

They will let you take your passport with you after the interview and put your visa on pause until you send it back to them by their designated courier. Then they finish your approval and issuance of the visa. It won't happen the day you send it back to them. They might not get back to your case for a week or two.

You can log back into the appointment system and see if anything has opened up earlier than Aug 31. People cancel and slots open. Try that over a couple of days. You can also log into the system and pick a new interview date that falls after the trip.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Why can'the just reschedule the interview for after the vacation?

Unfort cant because my process needs to be completed by my assigned date of sept 8th. the earliest interview is aug 31.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Unfort cant because my process needs to be completed by my assigned date of sept 8th. the earliest interview is aug 31.

Why? It can't have to do with immediate travel plans to the US, so why?

You don't have a timeline, so I don't know your NOA2 date, but remember that the embassy can extend the validity of the petition for up to a year, if necessary (if that is your concern about Sept 8th).

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

I also answered in your other thread. It's now merged so scroll up for my London specific answer.

To answer your other concern. The American writes a new letter of intent which the beneficiary takes to the interview in London to extend the petition validity past Sept 8. Easy Peasy, No issues.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Honestly, why put yourself through this stress? Rebook the holiday.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

you will be put on the bottom of the list for interview if you try to reschedule

No. It doesn't work like that in London.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.