amarsolo

divorce in the 90 days

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

i come with K1 visa and i got married in the first 90 days ,, and now she want divorce ,, is that easy to get the divorce only she need to signe a paper???

what i have to do

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Well if your only married a short time I can see as clear cut no assets to divide...

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Depending on your state, yes it can be that easy to get a uncontested divorce. You'd still need to sign something, but even if you don't, eventually she'd get her divorce.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

So you got to America, got married, and now she wants a divorce all within the 90 days of you arriving? I'm assuming you have only a couple days left of your 90 day authorized stay or even that it has ended. I'm also assuming that you haven't filed for AOS or that it is still processing.

Here's where those assumptions have led me (forgive me if they're wrong). You have two basic options since you have no way to adjust your status without her sponsoring you. You need to either sign the divorce papers and get on a plane as soon as possible to lessen your overstay. Or you can see if she's open to counseling for a few months to see if you can work things out. You might have to offer to delay filing your AOS. The reason I say to delay your AOS process (even though you'd be out of status) is because it's a lot of money for someone to invest if they think the marriage is not working out. If you delay your AOS you will accumulate overstay and it can result in you being banned from the USA for a period of time. But it might be the only way to save your relationship.

Edited by JR loves JR

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

So you got to America, got married, and now she wants a divorce all within the 90 days of you arriving? I'm assuming you have only a couple days left of your 90 day authorized stay or even that it has ended. I'm also assuming that you haven't filed for AOS or that it is still processing.

Here's where those assumptions have led me (forgive me if they're wrong). You have two basic options since you have no way to adjust your status without her sponsoring you. You need to either sign the divorce papers and get on a plane as soon as possible to lessen your overstay. Or you can see if she's open to counseling for a few months to see if you can work things out. You might have to offer to delay filing your AOS. The reason I say to delay your AOS process (even though you'd be out of status) is because it's a lot of money for someone to invest if they think the marriage is not working out. If you delay your AOS you will accumulate overstay and it can result in you being banned from the USA for a period of time. But it might be the only way to save your relationship.

thnk you so much

yes didnt filed the AOS yet

we got morried 1month ago and now she wanted divorce,,only because different of religion .

dont know wat to do bro

thnk you so much

we got morried 1month ago and now she wanted divorce,,only because different of religion .

dont know wat to do bro

Why is your religion a problem now? Did she not know your religious preferences?

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Why is your religion a problem now? Did she not know your religious preferences?

Could just be a case of misunderstanding, sometimes you don't always know how devout someone is until you spend day in and day out with them.

Either way, it doesn't really seem that relevant to the Op's question.

OP, divorce processes vary by state, so you may need to do some digging or provide us with a bit more information on your location.

Generally though, if you have only been married for such a short time and the divorce is agreed upon, I can't see there being any issues.

You will not be able to adjust status once you are divorced though, and effectively lose you path to permanent residency and thus should exit the country to avoid overstaying.

Edited by MorganandMichael

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Could just be a case of misunderstanding, sometimes you don't always know how devout someone is until you spend day in and day out with them.

Either way, it doesn't really seem that relevant to the Op's question.

OP, divorce processes vary by state, so you may need to do some digging or provide us with a bit more information on your location.

Generally though, if you have only been married for such a short time and the divorce is agreed upon, I can't see there being any issues.

You will not be able to adjust status once you are divorced though, and effectively lose you path to permanent residency and thus should exit the country to avoid overstaying.

Well he stated that was the issue and maybe its a fixable thing its been less than 90 days and they were in love. Maybe i am not sure someone could try to convert if religion is such am issue and if they wanted.

There are many folks that make it work with different religions but its up to the OP and fiancee if they love each other enough to try.

Edited by Anitafeliz

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Well he stated that was the issue and maybe its a fixable thing its been less than 90 days and they were in love. Maybe i am not sure someone could try to convert if religion is such am issue and if they wanted.

There are many folks that make it work with different religions but its up to the OP and fiancee if they love each other enough to try.

While that's true, it's probably best to not play marriage counselor unless the OP specifically asks for advice in such an area.

K-1 Visa~
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

AOS ~

ROC~

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

thnk you so much

dont know wat to do bro

While that's true, it's probably best to not play marriage counselor unless the OP specifically asks for advice in such an area.

This is where he asked and i was keeping in theme as it went into religion. And asking for advice. :yes:

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

This is where he asked and i was keeping in theme as it went into religion. And asking for advice. :yes:

Well alright, sounded more like he wants to know what to do about the divorce and his status, not how to save the marriage.

But you do you.

K-1 Visa~
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

AOS ~

ROC~

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.