LoveinUganda

Steps to getting my K1 fiance's sister to be able to come and live in USA

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Uganda
Timeline

Good afternoon,

My fiance was just approved for K1 visa and we are heading to America tomorrow I am currently in her country as I traveled with her to be with her during the interview and medical. My fiance and her sister are extremely close and it would mean everything to all three of us if it were possible getting her to be able to come and live in the USA once we are settled. Is this a possibility? Roughly how long does it take the country is Uganda

Do I have to wait over three years to start to apply for her sister or can my fiance start applying as soon as she gets her green card which if I understand correctly is a few months after marriage as soon as she applies for Adjustment of status

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes. Your fiancee will need to:

1) Become US citizen (about 9 months to get GC after marriage plus 3 years plus another 6-7 months to obtain citizenship)

2) Apply for her sister. Siblings take about 15-20 years to get it approved.

Essentially, from the moment you submit your AoS package to sister arrival you are looking at 19-23 years

Edited by san diego

It is possible but it will require a long wait. In some countries it is over 20 years. There is no way that your sister-in-law will have a visa in the next few years.

In the mean time focus on bringing your fiance here and starting a family. In a few years your fiance will be eligible for citizenship. then she can start the process for her sister.

Congrats and good luck to you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country: Uganda
Timeline

Does it make any difference that my fiance has a brother who just was allowed into the usa after many years of waiting as a refugee in congo? When he had filled out all his paperwork in the very start he had listed my fiances sister as his sister as well...will that speed anything up or help ?

Nope.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

In reality it won't... Just the fact your fiance got her visa, it's miracle itself due to everybody knows that african and middle east countries have a high rates of denials. Your future sister in law may apply as a refugee but that has nothing to do with your fiances immigration journey. It's something she needs to apply for herself.

As a greencard holder, your fiance cannot apply for her sister but she sure can once she becomes in an USC in 3-4 years from now. The thing is that applying for siblings take up to 12-15 years and it depends on the country too. I read a case and to the date, they were processing cases from 2002 last year.

I honestly understand her...I came here on a k1 visa in 2012 leaving my family behind. I'm now waiting for my citizenship interview and to be truly honest I don't see myself applying for my family cause that means living my siblings behind. So it doesn't make any sense.

Focus right now on brigining your bride, marry her and start your life together

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You should thank god that your fiance got the visa.Forget about his sister....If it would mean so much for all three of you then move to your fiance's country and live there happily with sister in law and other family members.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

In reality it won't... Just the fact your fiance got her visa, it's miracle itself due to everybody knows that african and middle east countries have a high rates of denials. Your future sister in law may apply as a refugee but that has nothing to do with your fiances immigration journey. It's something she needs to apply for herself.

As a greencard holder, your fiance cannot apply for her sister but she sure can once she becomes in an USC in 3-4 years from now. The thing is that applying for siblings take up to 12-15 years and it depends on the country too. I read a case and to the date, they were processing cases from 2002 last year.

I honestly understand her...I came here on a k1 visa in 2012 leaving my family behind. I'm now waiting for my citizenship interview and to be truly honest I don't see myself applying for my family cause that means living my siblings behind. So it doesn't make any sense.

Focus right now on brigining your bride, marry her and start your life together

Middle Eastern countries do not have a high rate of denial.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is really something that should have been considered when deciding who goes in which direction.

Bit late now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Do you have a friend you can introduce her to?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Middle Eastern countries do not have a high rate of denial.

I was about to ask. I'm currently in the process of the k1 and my fiancé lives in the Middle East. I've never heard they had a high rate of denials. Thanks for the response.

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was about to ask. I'm currently in the process of the k1 and my fiancé lives in the Middle East. I've never heard they had a high rate of denials. Thanks for the response.

I think it is a few certain high risk countries in Asia and Africa that are being highly scrutinized.

For Tourist Visa:

Visa applicant must demonstrate that they have strong ties in their home countries during their non-immigrant visa interviews. They need to prove that they cannot stay in America and that they have compelling reasons to return to their home countries.

I think it is a few certain high risk countries in Asia and Africa that are being highly scrutinized.

I agree, most overseas workers are from Asia and Africa.

ṲϟCЇϟ STAGE
2012 Sep 22 ::I-130 Sent
2012 Sep 24 :: NOA1
2012 Nov 26 :: NOA2

NVC STAGE
2012 Nov 30 :: LND case#/IIN received via phone;
2012 Dec 10 :: DS3032 sent
2012 Dec 14 :: Case# received via email
2012 Dec 15 :: AOSbill / IV bil INVOICED -delay the process due to personal reasons-

2013 Jan 15 :: AOS / IV Paid -delay the process due to personal reasons-

2013 May 2 :: NVC received IV / AOS Package

2013 May 17 :: Sent checklist via FedEx

2013 May 22 :: Received Checklist

2013 May 30 :: Case Complete

CONSULATE STAGE

2013 June 5 :: Interview Scheduled by NVC

2013 June 7 :: Received Instruction Page

2013 Jun 22 :: Medical Passed

2013 July 10 :: Interview Passed

2013 July 12 :: Visa on Hand

POE

2013 Aug 13 :: Houston, Texas

2013 Sep 1 :: Card Received

ROC

2015 July 4 :: Packet Sent (Missed to include Tax and Leases due to emergency purposes so RFE is expected)

2015 July 6 :: NOA 1 Receipt

2015 July 29 :: Biometrics Schedule but moved due to emergency reasons

2015 Oct 8 :: Returned to USA

2015 Oct 15 :: Biometrics Done

2016 Jan 21 :: RFE Received as expected

2016 Feb 25 :: RFE docs sent

2016 Feb 27 :: USCIS RFE docs delivered

2016 Mar 17 :: Card Production Ordered

2016 Mar 21 :: Snail Mail (Sent by USCIS on 3-18-16 / Approved)

2016 Mar 25 :: 10 yr GC Received

N400

2016 May 15 :: Application to be sent!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.