Mitch0526

Traveling on a Tourist Visa to have a Baby and Return to China

55 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Better hide that belly and answer question about your visit..

CEAC Status
Dec 3, 2015 - Docs sent

Dec 4, 2015 - Offsite received docs

Dec 7, 2015 - Have not received docs

Dec 8, 2015 - Refused

Dec 9, 2015 - Refused

Dec 11, 2015 - Confirmed docs physically received on the 8th

Dec 22, 2015 - Refused

Dec 29, 2015 - Refused

Dec 31, 2015 - Refused

Jan 20, 2016 - Ready

Jan 21, 2016 - Ready

Jan 25, 2016 - Issued (AP)

Jan 26, 2016 - Issued (Final)

Jan 28, 2015 - Visa in Hand

Feb 6, 2016 - POE ( Peace Bridge)

When we had our baby (June 2013) we were able to get a certified copy of the birth certificate at the hospital before we left. (this was in Florida).

What took the longest was waiting for the Social Security number through the hospital. A couple of things we learned.

1. It is quicker to get a social security number at Social Security rather than filing with the hospital at the birth.

2. You DO NOT need a social security number for a passport - even though it seems like it on the form, because the passport is for a minor you don't need it.

Even with the delay's we got our child's passport within 6 weeks. It can be done faster if you expedite the passport.

Good luck and congrats on the baby.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, are you a US Citizen?

I am not saying is your wife's case but lately a bunch of women from China are coming to the USA to give birth to U.S Citizens and then returning to their home Country. They are doing this to guarantee a better future. I hope is not your case...just saying.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/03/california-chinese-birth-tourism-raids/24338087/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I had my son 2 years ago in Florida (we live in south florida) and I had an unmedicated, natural, no complications childbirth and my bill was $17,250. Thank God I have a health insurance. But you also need to take into consideration:

• Why if there is a complication?
  • nicu?
  • c section? (see section is up to 25-35k )

If you have to comeback before 3 month after childbirth that means taking a newborn baby into different airports and long haul flights with almost none vaccines

We as a women need between 4 to 6 weeks to recover from natural childbirth to 8-10 weeks for csection.

You also have to think in the cost of the postnatal care, doctors visits, diapers, formula, housing, gas, food, medications, for at least 2 months and having a newborn baby is expensive.

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here is a fact that happened, one man works with an airline, he brought he wife to have a baby in US, she had 10 years visa, she came multiple time to US no issues, after she entered to US she had a baby after 2 months from POE of entry, sincer she was in New york, i don't know how she got medicaid, and they did not pay a dime ( i had a son and i am a US citizen i paid $4800 after that insurance covered total cost was $23000), so after she had the babe and got Birth certificate, she went back to her country, 6 month later she came to have her son complete vaccinations, she was denied entry asking her how come your son is a US Citizen, and you don't even live in US, and now she is banned from entrying US, the other issues she had at the embassy how did she paid for having the babe in US, she is in kinda trouble now. basically having a babe in another country to get citizen is a fraud.

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My Chinese wife has already obtained a 10 year tourist visa to the US and is now about 6 weeks pregnant. We are living in China and have no plans on returning to the US to settle down, but we are considering going to the US to give birth because of better and more familiar medical care where my family is.

One plan we are considering, which is doubtful it can work out, is to fly to the US in July when she is about 7 months pregnant, give birth in September (if that works out), and then fly back to China as soon as we are able.

My question and concern is, what would we need to do in order to get the baby back to China and how long would that take approximately? Apply for the birth certificate and a passport and visa? Wouldn't that take several weeks? Is there any other way?

I'm a university teacher and need to get back to my job for the Fall semester, which begins in September, but I could possibly wait until October if necessary to return.

Does anyone have any ideas on any of this?

According to Chinese nationality law, if at least one of you is a Chinese citizen, and neither of you is a Chinese citizen with a green card, your child will be automatically be a Chinese citizen at birth. You cannot get a Chinese visa for the child. For the child to travel to china you will apply for a Chinese "Travel Document" for the child. It is a passport-like booklet, and within it it says the bearer is a citizen of the PRC.

You should also concurrently apply for a US passport for the child. These two things can be applied for in either order as they do not depend on each other.

You should also apply for a consular authentication of the US birth certificate, for use in adding the child to hukou when they get back to China. Most cities will require a consular authenticated birth certificate to be able to put the child on hukou. This process is somewhat complex as it requires first getting a county-clerk-issued birth certificate (otherwise it will need to be authenticated by the county clerk), then getting it authenticated by the state secretary of state, then (if applying at the Chinese embassy) authenticated by the US Secretary of State, before being authenticated by the Chinese consulate/embassy.

Edited by newacct

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Since money is not the issue, and you have enough to cover about $10k US for expenses, but many complications could arise travelling to the US. I highly recommend keeping in Country, and going to Peking Union Medical College Hospital (协和医院) For the past 80 years it has been rated as the best hospital in China.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Very doubtful that the US would let a foreign national in to have an anchor baby even with a USC spouse.

When the foreign national does not pay her medical bill, the state and federal governments picks up the tab. The person becomes a public charge. That's why the person was refused entry subsequently.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

As others have mentioned, the bills could end being in the 100s of thousands of dollars. I had a full term baby and he ended up with issues - the NICU transport team alone would blow your 10k budget, plus the cost of NICU for near two weeks and the original delivery. It is a lot of money. If we didn't have insurance we would have been screwed.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

POE will refused entry. Even though u r usc, she is wife of usc, the visa is B1, meaning tourist or business. Coming to give birth is none of those. If lie about it, may haunt u later when AOS. The argument is china no medical? No good medical and all foreigners there have babies in health danger? Furthermore u hv no local usa health insurance..... i am thinking of worst case so as to set expectations right, if u can address these Qs, then make the trip.... Like change her visa or buy insurance etc.

Other vjs comments are also welcome... This is my 2 cts worth

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If I remember correctly what I've researched before, China doesn't offer dual citizenship. If the Child is born in China, he or she would be automatically Chinese. Born in the US, and would be automatically American. If born in China, he or she could still get passports from both countries.

Am I wrong on this or has something changed?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, has anyone given birth to a baby in Guangdong, China. That's where we live, and are not able to leave the province to have the baby if it's in China.

According above two questions and all of your concern , i have a good solution for you: give birth in Hong Kong.

Yes you are right, china does not allow dual citizenship. But there is some grey area. If ur child born in china by Chinese citizen mother , ur baby is a chinese citizen. But you can apply a U.S. passport for your child . Chinese government knows that , but government won't bother you until 18 years old , government will ask your child to choose one citizenship.

If you give birth in Hongkong , your child get privilliage for life to live and work in the following all three places: China mainland, Hongkong, and USA.

And i suppose you will have full confidence on medical standard in HongKong.

But Keep onething in mind : HongKong no longer allows mainland china citizen woman to give birth in hong Kong. USC mother ok. However since you are a USC father , you can try to contact a hospital in hongkong to check the possibility and let us know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.