Mitch0526

Traveling on a Tourist Visa to have a Baby and Return to China

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

POE will refused entry. Even though u r usc, she is wife of usc, the visa is B1, meaning tourist or business. Coming to give birth is none of those. If lie about it, may haunt u later when AOS. The argument is china no medical? No good medical and all foreigners there have babies in health danger? Furthermore u hv no local usa health insurance..... i am thinking of worst case so as to set expectations right, if u can address these Qs, then make the trip.... Like change her visa or buy insurance etc.

Other vjs comments are also welcome... This is my 2 cts worth

Seems very unlikely

B1 is for business. Not tourism.

Who is suggesting lying?

Many people come to the US for medical treatment, and births, quite a business.

What Insurance do you suggest would cover a known event like giving birth?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The thing about HongKong is, it's extremely expensive. Definitely out of our price range to stay there and do medical care. Plus, my wife wouldn't feel comfortable there because we don't know anyone there. She could feel relatively comfortable almost anywhere in Guangdong because we know people in most cities. Just need to find a good hospital. We know of one that has a good reputation, called VIP Birthing Center for The Second Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical University. However, we haven't talked to anyone personally who has been there. Just wanted to see if anyone has any other options we could consider.

Thank you R2B for all the info about citizenship.

Timeline

Hong Kong surely is cheaper than the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So much cheaper.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

If I remember correctly what I've researched before, China doesn't offer dual citizenship. If the Child is born in China, he or she would be automatically Chinese. Born in the US, and would be automatically American. If born in China, he or she could still get passports from both countries.

Am I wrong on this or has something changed?

A Child born in China to a Chinese National Parent, and a USC Parent is both Chinese and US, the Parents at birth have the option to choose which citizenship they want their child to have, and upon turning 18 the Chinese government gives the child a chance for them to make the final decision if they want to be a US Citizen or a Chinese Citizen (If one of the parents is still a Chinese National).

For your child to obtain US Citizenship you would need to file a CRBA (Consulate Report of Birth Abroad) with the Embassy in Guangzhou (or whichever embassy is the closest to where you live). But there is a condition, you must have resided in the US for a minimum of 5 years, 2 years of which must have been spent after you turned 14.

Also, has anyone given birth to a baby in Guangdong, China. That's where we live, and are not able to leave the province to have the baby if it's in China.

This is the part i don't understand, you are willing to put your pregnant wife on a 18-30 hour Trans-Pacific flight from Guangzhou to the US, but you are unwilling to take a 36 hour slow train, or 15 hour fast train to Beijing. All for the sake of "Better Healthcare" when there is an excellent hospital in Beijing.

Ok, so rule out Beijing, there are still several other excellent hospitals in China.

Guangdong Provincial TCM Hospital in Guangzhou

Guangzhou City Twelfth People's Hospital in Guangzhou

Guangdong Provincial People's Hospital in Guangzhou

Hong Kong Adventist Hospital (This hospital was ranked as one of the best hospitals in the Southern China area by HTH WorldWide)

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The problem is not the expense of the medical care, but the doctor's visits in months 7-9 require us to basically be within very close distance of the hospital. A baby is usually not born on the exact due date. We have to consider cost of living at the place we go as well.

Most hospitals ask the patience to make monthly visits in the first two trimesters and then biweekly and then weekly as time gets closer and closer. Starting in month 7-8, we could find a place in Guangzhou to live for a few months if necessary, but not in HongKong. Living expenses are too high. We also are not going to be able to stay in Beijing for that long either. The only reason we were considering the US before was because if she could get through that one long flight at 7 months, the rest would be much more comfortable in my parents' house and them driving her to a nearby hospital however often she is needed. But we aren't really considering that option anymore.

Thank you Chris and ZhiJia for the hospital ideas in Guangzhou. Do you know anyone who has personally given birth at any of those places?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

The problem is not the expense of the medical care, but the doctor's visits in months 7-9 require us to basically be within very close distance of the hospital. A baby is usually not born on the exact due date. We have to consider cost of living at the place we go as well.

Most hospitals ask the patience to make monthly visits in the first two trimesters and then biweekly and then weekly as time gets closer and closer. Starting in month 7-8, we could find a place in Guangzhou to live for a few months if necessary, but not in HongKong. Living expenses are too high. We also are not going to be able to stay in Beijing for that long either. The only reason we were considering the US before was because if she could get through that one long flight at 7 months, the rest would be much more comfortable in my parents' house and them driving her to a nearby hospital however often she is needed. But we aren't really considering that option anymore.

Thank you Chris and ZhiJia for the hospital ideas in Guangzhou. Do you know anyone who has personally given birth at any of those places?

No, but I have several friends in Shenzhen and Guangzhou that I can ask.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: Timeline

If I remember correctly what I've researched before, China doesn't offer dual citizenship. If the Child is born in China, he or she would be automatically Chinese. Born in the US, and would be automatically American. If born in China, he or she could still get passports from both countries.

Am I wrong on this or has something changed?

Dual nationality is not "offered" or not. The child has dual nationality if multiple countries' laws independently say the child has their nationality.

Nothing has changed -- it has always been the case that a child born to a Chinese citizen without a green card in the US has Chinese citizenship, in addition to US citizenship.

Edited by newacct

POE will refused entry. Even though u r usc, she is wife of usc, the visa is B1, meaning tourist or business. Coming to give birth is none of those. If lie about it, may haunt u later when AOS. The argument is china no medical? No good medical and all foreigners there have babies in health danger? Furthermore u hv no local usa health insurance..... i am thinking of worst case so as to set expectations right, if u can address these Qs, then make the trip.... Like change her visa or buy insurance etc.

Other vjs comments are also welcome... This is my 2 cts worth

Tourist visa is B2. And coming to the US to give birth is a perfectly acceptable use of B2, as long as they can afford it and have insurance to cover it. People can go apply for a tourist visa and openly tell the consular official that they are coming to the US to give birth and they will get the visa if they can show that they will not use public funds for medical costs. Though many people hide it because they may not be able to show they can pay.

Edited by newacct

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Tourist visa is B2. And coming to the US to give birth is a perfectly acceptable use of B2, as long as they can afford it and have insurance to cover it. People can go apply for a tourist visa and openly tell the consular official that they are coming to the US to give birth and they will get the visa if they can show that they will not use public funds for medical costs. Though many people hide it because they may not be able to show they can pay.

Pretty sure birth tourism is not allowed. We iz not cool witz anchor babies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The following post has been edited to remove a Terms of Service violation and is returned to the thread as follows:

I was hoping you were wrong but after a quick google seems you are right. Birth tourism should be an instant denial at POE to be honest...

And its the Chinese who apparantly do it a lot.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 weeks later...

A teacher job in China pays enough to cover the medical costs of giving birth in the US?

Wow

Haha... which millennium are you living in? ;)

A university business professor does, particularly at the better schools.

The salaries at CEIBS range from US$140k-350k. They are accredited by a US based accrediting agency, they did it quickly and with a lot of money. (Which is not to say they cheated or bribed anyone, they simply outbid everyone else for the best professors and spend loads of money on infrastructure.)

But even at many lesser schools, its going to be $75k+.

Edited by BKKflyer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.