crr0321

Separated but Married, Pregnancy outside of the marriage and currently illegal

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Haiti
Timeline

My friend has been married for 13yrs. He originally arrived in the country illegally as a child. He gained temporary residency repeatedly to remain here. He then married a US citizen as an adult. At some point he allowed his status to lapse without completing the necessary steps to remain legal. He then separated from his wife after the birth of 3 children. She had 2 additional children outside of the marriage after this separation. He attempted to regain a legal status by filing for an adjustment and residency with his wife. The request was denied based on her lack of income and ability to support him, in addition to the children. He did not appeal the decision and must now start the process from the beginning for the second or third time. He would like to file for residency again, with myself as a second sponsor in addition to his wife. And then a new problem arrived...his wife is pregnant again, outside of this marriage! Should he attempt to proceed with her as a petitioner/sponsor? Should he divorce her and go through the process of marrying another US citizen to gain his status? He remains in the US through all of this and cannot afford to be deported.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So his wife keeps having babies with other people? If so he's going to have a hard time selling his marriage as bona fide to USCIS.

The good news is that his deportation would not cost him anything, since the federal government would provide it for free.

Not necessarily true as in most states he would be considered the legal father of all of her children

A fair point. Either way, I'd suggest this is not a straightforward DIY case.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Not necessarily true as in most states he would be considered the legal father of all of her children

It's a rebuttal presumption. Not necessarily a conclusion. Kinda depends on who is listed as the father on the birth certificates. And where he was when those babies were conceived.

Timeline

There is no bona fide marriage allowing him to adjust. His wife has been having children with other men.

Asking if he should marry another USC makes this seems like shopping for a green card. Fishing for help to do something illegal.

Timeline

He has another love himself, but is unable to pursue it. So there would be no "shopping for a green card". When I say he cannot "afford" deportation, I do not mean literally. I mean he can't risk that happening. He has a job, and provides support for the first 3 children.

Timeline

"Should he divorce her and go through the process of marrying another US citizen to gain his status? He remains in the US through all of this and cannot afford to be deported."

He can't afford it? Now you're asking if he should commit fraud to gain immigration? Unbelievable.

No one is trying to commit fraud. He is already here and working and supporting those children. He does not want to risk being deported while figuring out how best to handle this

Really? He has his own GF and you want to know if he can adjust through his wife? Seriously?

It's a crazy messy situation.They have been amicably separated for years.

Best of luck.

Timeline

I posted this to ask for help, not judgement

Wait for his USC children to be 21 years old to sponsor him

The children that are his are 14 and 12. That's too long to wait and be here illegally :(

Timeline

It's a rebuttal presumption. Not necessarily a conclusion. Kinda depends on who is listed as the father on the birth certificates. And where he was when those babies were conceived.

He is listed as the father on the first 3 children's birth certificates. Not the last 2, and won't be listed for this baby she's pregnant with now

Timeline

He is listed as the father on the first 3 children's birth certificates. Not the last 2, and won't be listed for this baby she's pregnant with now

That puts the kibosh on getting a green card based on a current bona fide marriage.

I posted this to ask for help, not judgement

The children that are his are 14 and 12. That's too long to wait and be here illegally :(

This may be his only path.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.