94 posts in this topic

Also its more expensive for many people as it can be hard for beneficiary to keep job, running around doing all the paperwork and when they do come over have to wait to get EAD before just TRYING to find a job let alone getting one. Theres an endless state of paperwork.

The K1 is a nonimmigrant visa w/ immigrant intent, then you come over in some fugue state. A conditional LPR, have to apply to be a permanent LPR, then you have renew /RoC only to turn around and hopefully apply for citizenship. Its a lot more paperwork and such.

Basically the K3/CR1 is frontloading more of that paperwork/process. Thats all there is to it.

Theres guides here and all over the interwebs that you could have made a conscious decision of the approach you took. The prioritization OP and others feel is misinformed.

True and because of my impatience I chose the extra hoops and fees so I can reside with my fiancé several months sooner than were he my husband. It was a calculated choice.

Edited by heo luoi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Immigration, in general, doesn't always make much sense. I'm sure its been said before, but it is always worth repeating. Somebody can enter our country illegally and have more rights and benefits in the first three months than somebody who followed the rules and immigrated through the proper channels. Where is the incentive to play by the rules when illegal aliens qualify for voter's rights, a driver's license, and government assistance in housing, healthcare and finances? Its is just so damn backwards. If I entered just about any other country illegally, there would be stiff penalties including jail time, heavy fines and deportation. Not in the U.S. We seem to pride ourselves on bringing folks in by the boatload whether they are legal or not. THAT is what makes the immigration process so much more frustrating.

As for your situation: yes, it is frustrating. Take a deep breath. Relax. Getting angry at the system will only add to your frustration.

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

It took us a year, and we were married folks. It doesn't always make sense, but in our case, everything turned out for the best. We used the time to do the things we needed to do in both places.

Sometimes you need to scream about it and vent, but it WILL be over, and you WILL get past this. Hang in there!

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can understand it's horrible to wait. I am an extremely impatient person and I was lucky enough to receive my fiance visa in 7 months and it was horrible just waiting for that. Now I am going through my Adjustment of Status and I've been waiting 6 months of nothing on my green card (I have got my EAD and Advanced Parole though).

What you have to remember is the sheer volume of cases these people receive everyday and how much close attention they have to pay to them to make sure it's in order and a legitimate relationship. As much as I wish they would go "meh, whatever" and approve applications, they can't. I'm sure it dwells on them that they are keeping loved ones away from each other, but these people are working hard to make sure we get there eventually if not sooner.

Don't give up hope, you just have to know it will come.

05/16/2014: I-129F sent to Lockbox
05/21/2014: NOA1 text/email received from Texas Service Centre
08/11/2014: Transferred to California Service Centre
09/02/2014: NOA2 received
09/19/2014: NVC received
09/22/2014: NVC left
09/29/2014: London Consulate received
10/01/2014: Filled out DS-160
10/08/2014: Stated readiness for Interview
10/22/2014: Had medical
11/05/2014: Received Interview date, paid and registered for delivery
11/21/2014: Interview - Approved
12/01/2014: Visa Delivered
12/29/2014: US entry
03/19/2015: Married
05/23/2015: Filed for AOS, EAD & AP
06/23/2015: Biometrics Appointment

08/04/2015: EAD and Advance Parole approved

08/21/2015: Received EAD/AP card

09/11/2015: Received letter explaining processing time extended and possible interview waiver

11/02/2015: AOS Approved without Interview

11/10/2015: Received Green Card in the mail

I keep trying to call and I never got lucky. But,our culture is a jealous culture and I honestly can't stand living away from my husband anymore. :(

I don't know what you are talking about - labeling Filipino culture as a "jealous" culture. I am Filipino and, although I know this process is very long, I understand why it is the way it is. They need to make sure marriages are authentic and not a scam. I am a K1 visa holder, went through a 6 month process, then came here married and I am still waiting for permanent residency and a green card. Immigration is not for the faint hearted. Sorry that you are lonely, but it's only a few months until you get to be with your husband forever.

Our Story

- Met in May 2010

- Engaged Nov. 2011

- Moved to U.S. w/ K-1 visa May 2015

- Got Married Aug. 2015 (L):wub:

AOS

Forms Sent : Aug. 24, 2015

Received by office: Aug. 25, 2015

NOA (text/e-mail): Aug. 27, 2015

NOA (mail): Sept. 3, 2015

Biometrics: Sept. 23, 2015

EAD Approval: Oct. 30, 2015

EAD mailed: Nov. 4, 2015

I-797 notice: Nov. 5, 2015

EAD in hand: Nov. 6, 2015

Applied SSN: Nov. 10, 2015

GC approved: Nov. 24, 2015

GC mailed: Nov. 30, 2015

GC received: Dec. 2, 2015 :D

ROC

Filed ROC: August 30, 2017

NOA (mail): August 31, 2017

Biometrics: September 29, 2017 

*Eligible to file for naturalization (90 days): August 25th, 2018*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It's not always easier for K-1's. I don't really understand why so many people say that.. Many K-1 visa's take about a year or over a year. It's been over a year since I've filed. A lot of people from my sept. 2015 group also took over 8+ months to get their NOA2. You can't just pick and choose and cry about it. Look at the positives.

Sure maybe a few K-1 visa's get approved faster that CR-1's.. however once you enter you don't have to worry about all the extra filing.

Many people filing for the CR-1's already live with their spouses, unlike K-1 filers.

Edited by SincerelyMeike

(L) Meike & Alex (L)

2nbu1cx.jpg

Got engaged :wub:(August 29th, 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Click Spoiler to show i-129F K-1 Visa application processes

hgOf2QL.png?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------
November 16th - Applied for SS Card
November 16th - Got marriage certificate

November 20th - Married!!! <3
December 9th - AOS package sent

December 18th - NOA's received for all three!!

December 21st - NOA1 hard copy in the mail

Dec 30th - Bio-metrics letter in the mail

Jan 12th, 2016 - Bio-metrics completed!!

Jan 15th - RFIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23rd - RFIE response mailed back
Feb 26th - RFIE response received
March 8th - EAD/AP APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! (On my birthday too~)

March 16th - Card received in the mail~
May 17th - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!! NO INTERVIEW NEEDED

May 23rd - NOA approval in the mail

May 25th - Green card in HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Future ROC filing date: Feb 16th, 2018

Filed: Timeline

It sounds ridiculous maybe but it's more ridiculous why we have to go through this. My husband and I lived together for like 9 months in my country. He's been away for like 1 yr 6mos.now. This month will be our 2nd year anniversary. :(

That sounds a big pain in the ###. Good luck to us. I can't help myself not to make rants as I'm having depression since he left.

I'm clueless in the DCF process, but couldn't your US spouse have gone this route which would have been faster (since he stayed for over 6 months)? It's realize it's too late now.

What's stopping him from visiting you? I cannot imagine waiting over a year, and not visiting. Even though we went though the K1 visa process, I still visited my wife throughout the process. If it's a financial issue, then the harsh reality is that immigrating someone here it an expensive/time consuming endeavor.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey Filipina warrior.. just hang in there..... there's always perfect timing on things.....

I remember my husband keep on jamming on the phone.. if nobody answers he never stop... he just went on his work while waiting for somebody to pick up the phone... it was like everyday..... until he'll get a hold of somebody....

For us who filed for spousal visa.. when you get here? you don't have to do anything except wait for your GC and SS card to be delivered 2 weeks to a month and that's it... until almost 3 years for adjustment of status...

In my case it was like 10 months or so spousal visa and 6 months wasted on trying K1 visa ( we had to withdraw coz husband forgot to disclosed his first wife) I was patient....

Hugs!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I just don't feel like it's fair to everyone to be waiting as long as this just to be with someone.

I've seen some fellow Filipinas applying for CR1 visa, took them roughly like 5mos from their submission of documents to get an interview. I know they say that Philippines is one of the easiest country to get a visa as the two countries have good relationship. But it still doesn't change the fact that I've been here waiting for all of this to be over. My husband left me with his eyes on tears and I cried too a lot for months. :( :(

I'm clueless in the DCF process, but couldn't your US spouse have gone this route which would have been faster (since he stayed for over 6 months)? It's realize it's too late now.

What's stopping him from visiting you? I cannot imagine waiting over a year, and not visiting. Even though we went though the K1 visa process, I still visited my wife throughout the process. If it's a financial issue, then the harsh reality is that immigrating someone here it an expensive/time consuming endeavor.

When he was here something bad happened tp him with the Philippines immigration, I don't want anymore to explain it in details but they gave us debt and all. They did something illegal to him but we rather pay than them ruining his papers here.

The work and financial status are making it hard for us. I'm trying to go there because I know it'll be easier for us, I can adapt more to his environment, get job, the culture is more accessible than him living here, where he can't get a job, it'll take him years to learn about this place.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

I totally agree k1 shouldn't take less time than cr1. The fact that its not a green card is not the point. We are being processed by the same agencies and they complain of lack of resources whilst they send over people who barely know the usc whilst scrutinizing couples that have been together, lived together, have children...for a year or over. Doesn't make sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.