willd2sea

Tourist visa - meeting for the first time, avoid scam

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

A person not willing to Skype after a few messages you need to stay away, even if she is a woman she is probably a scammer. There is no medical visa for tourism visa,and second man imagine her moral values. I would not spend one more second talking to a person like her or maybe him....who knows.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never Skyped

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I have never Skyped

Yeah, not everyone does. However, being able to see a stranger (because that's what she is at this point) and hear their voice and see their mannerisms are important to building trust and affection. It's one thing if she invited him to visit her whenever he felt comfortable and they maintained a friendship just to get to know each other, but that's really not what this is. There already seems to be physical overtones, at least minor ones. So to me, there is already a possible different motivation than just exploring if there may be a possible future with each other. Mix in the lack of virtual face-to-face communication, hmmmmm, you need to start wondering if your own judgement has been clouded by something else. Good thing the OP turned to other opinions!

People can already scam others out of anything when they are in close proximity, but keeping up that rouse is harder for any fraudster over time. They tend to look for easier marks rather than invest more energy and time in a guarded person. I don't think requiring them to Skype with you is unreasonable. I know Google hang outs has a video chat option. Is her email address Gmail? Are you on her Facebook? I know Messenger has an awesome video chat option. Facebook used to only have it on the laptop, but when they put it on their mobile app, boy, we ate up all kinds of MBs on that!

What about Viber or Whatsapp? Do those have a video chat option? Does she not have a smart phone? I know the OP already said he would discontinue the communication, but for any future interactions with this person or any other potential foreign relationship you may or may not have, it's best to send a few hundred dollars for them to buy a used smart phone than to be out of pocket more than she (?) was initially planning for.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Although this is a forum for DIY visa issues, you have come to the right place to get the real information. We all have the same thing in common....International relationships. You know now that you are being scammed.....most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another. I wish you good luck in your quest.

There are web sites that list rules for international dating......try to follow them....

I think it is great you came to VJ to ask this question and got the right answer :)

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

7/27/15 Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lock box

7/29/15 NOA1, TSC

10/7/15 Entered USA for three weeks to close escrow and pack house

12/5/15 Entered USA for 90 days to visit

12/7/15 I-130 approved,NOA2

NVC

12/23/15 NVC received package

1/5/2016 Called NVC

1/7/2016 Called NVC, assigned case # and IIN #

1/7/2016 Assigned choice of agent

1/7/2016 Paid AOS fees

1/21/2016 Paid packet IV fees

2/20/2016 Filed DS-260

3/30/2016 Sent NVC package

4/5/2016 NVC received package

5/5/2016 Email from NVC...case complete with interview date 6/17

6/10/2016 Medical

6/17/2016 Interview - Approved :)

Thank you all !!!! Very helpful. I am cutting contact with "her" and report it to website.

Turn this around to see if this is a real relationship and of "she" is really interesting in you and not your money. Suggest that a tourist visa for someone from the PI is hard to obtain and you have always wanted to see China, then you get a tourist visa to China and you come to visit her there--and wait for the reaction.

A scammer will make up all kinds of excuses that she needs to visit you in the US rather that be happy that the two of you will finally meet. Plus it is far easier for you to get a tourist visa to China than for her to get a tourist visa to the US.

Dave

I just came here to say this: RUN!

Cut communications with this person all together.

As mentioned already, there is all kinds of red flags just from the details you mentioned. She has online access yet doesn't want to skype? Skype is free to download. No medical is needed. As a Philippina in China it would be a little difficult to get a B2 Visa, unless she has very strong ties, which is not the case if she is asking you for money.

Try your luck somewhere else, with a real person, at least someone that is willing to prove that they really are who they say they are, or go to your local bar, I'm sure you can meet someone there.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its a scam. Here are your red flags:

1. The mention of a travel agent. - A travel agent cannot guarantee her a tourist visa.

2. One does not need a medical exam to visit the US on a tourist visa.

3. You can buy her plane ticket. - Offer to but her ticket and watch her stop contacting you or try to convince you that you cant buy her ticket.

4. She wont Skype you. - As an online gamer we have a saying, "All players are considered men until verified on Skype." She can totally go to any one of hundreds of net cafes and Skype you. My wife lived in the poor provinces in the Philippines and still could Skype me.

Do not send her any money. The lovely Asian that will one day steal your heart, won't steal your bank account. They will never ask you for money and will move mountains on their own to be with you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

First of all, if she wants to see you, she should be paying for her flight round trip. You pay your part when she gets here. Why would she have somebody pay for her to get here. She should be embarrassed at first.

K-1 VISA (Wife Petition)

03/07/2015 - Mailed I-129F package

03/18/2015 - Received text and email NOA1 was received

04/07/2015 - Received text and email NOA2 was approved

04/10/2015 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy

04/24/2015 - NVC received our package

04/29/2015 - Date Case #, IIN and BIN assigned

05/01/2015 - Date package left NVC

05/04/2015 - Date received by consulate

05/14/2015 - Medical Appointment

06/02/2015 - US Embassy Interview Approved

06/10/2015 - Received US Visa from 2GO

06/15/2015 - CFO

06/17/2015 - US Arrival

07/17/2015 - Wedding Day

EAD

08/24/2015 - NOA1 date

10/26/2015 - Approved

10/31/2015 - Received EAD card

AP

08/24/2015 - NOA1 date

10/26/2015 - Approved

AOS

08/15/2015 - AOS Filing

08/24/2015 - NOA1 date

09/21/2015 - Biometrics

11/30/2015 - Interview (Approved)

12/07/2015 - Green Card Received

***(09/1/2017 - Removal of Condition)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I doubt any decent human being would not be asking a stranger from overseas to pay for flights and visas etc. you do that s*** yourself if you wanna go meet someone.

I know everyone's saying its a scam, but did it ever come up in conversation about you going to visit 'her'?

It doesn't look/sound good, and you should be mindful of your safety and finances.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've met a Philippine woman online who is living and working in China. We have been chatting for about six weeks. I would like to meet her over Skype but she does not have access to it. She wants to come to the US to visit me next month. She needs a tourist/visitor visa, the B-2. She says that to visit the US she must have a medical exam. She wants me to pay for her flight, visa and medical examine to the tune of about $1300. I would wire the money to the travel agent or to her. I don't want to send $1300 never to hear from her again. The site that I met here on says to never send money to anyone that you have not already met in person. I do not feel that I know her well enough to send the money. She is willing to stay at my home for 2 weeks during her visit. This is surprising. I would think that she would be concerned about her safety. But maybe she is willing to say this if in fact she's just after money and has no intention of traveling here. I should mention that she is gorgeous. She has sent me several photos, but for all I know it could be a guy (or girl) doing a scam. As they say "if it seems to good to be true".

She would go to the travel agents office to do all the documents, visa photo etc. but I figured out that the agent's office is about 500 miles from where she lives!

I have been honest with her about my concerns and all of the above details. She replied that I don't trust her, but has not answered to any of the details.

Do you know is a medical exam required on a B2 visa?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated, particularly if you have been in a similar situation where you were expected to send money for travel expenses or visa, etc.

Thanks

Better option is for you to meet her in China. Even if this wasn't a scam, the chances of her getting a tourist visa for the US aren't that great.

I've met a Philippine woman online who is living and working in China. We have been chatting for about six weeks. I would like to meet her over Skype but she does not have access to it. She wants to come to the US to visit me next month. She needs a tourist/visitor visa, the B-2. She says that to visit the US she must have a medical exam. She wants me to pay for her flight, visa and medical examine to the tune of about $1300. I would wire the money to the travel agent or to her. I don't want to send $1300 never to hear from her again. The site that I met here on says to never send money to anyone that you have not already met in person. I do not feel that I know her well enough to send the money. She is willing to stay at my home for 2 weeks during her visit. This is surprising. I would think that she would be concerned about her safety. But maybe she is willing to say this if in fact she's just after money and has no intention of traveling here. I should mention that she is gorgeous. She has sent me several photos, but for all I know it could be a guy (or girl) doing a scam. As they say "if it seems to good to be true".

She would go to the travel agents office to do all the documents, visa photo etc. but I figured out that the agent's office is about 500 miles from where she lives!

I have been honest with her about my concerns and all of the above details. She replied that I don't trust her, but has not answered to any of the details.

Do you know is a medical exam required on a B2 visa?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated, particularly if you have been in a similar situation where you were expected to send money for travel expenses or visa, etc.

Thanks

Better option is for you to meet her in China. Even if this wasn't a scam, the chances of her getting a tourist visa for the US aren't that great.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.