cholakova

Overstay, help! Will my husbands visa be denied?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I would truly appreciate any feedback that I could get about this

I'm a US citizen and my husband is Bulgarian. He came to the states on a work visa, and overstayed by quite some time. He took a voluntary departure from the States last October. While here, he stayed out of trouble and paid his taxes every year.

We got married in February, and our I-130 was approved this past week!

I'm just worrying about the interview stage.... will we get all the way up to the interview and they deny him his visa? even though I'm a citizen, and we're married?

I've heard this might be an issue, and a waiver will have to be filed. I hope this is not the case and I'm hoping that they will overlook his overstay; this time apart from each other is literally unbearable.

is this possible? What could be possible outcomes?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long did he overstay?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

More likely Waivers.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

6 years. If a waiver is going to be necessary, what exactly determines if you're going to suffer "extreme hardship"? And is there any possibility of a waiver not being necessary ?

He was also never forced to leave the country or seen in front of an immigration judge

Timeline

So he has a 10 year ban and will require a I 601 to be filed once he has been refused a visa at his interview, adds about 6 months to the process. Do you intend using a Lawyer for the waiver?

Edited by Boiler

Timeline

Theres not even a slight chance he won't be denied? And I'm not sure, would a lawyer help my case? And if you fill out a waiver, in the midst of it being reviewed I won't be able to go visit my husband correct? Because it voids the waiver?

Edited by megancholakova

Timeline

How would they miss a 6 year overstay and a VD?

Not sure why you think you can not visit.

Waiver is a bulky package, not sure what you think is involved.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Theres not even a slight chance he won't be denied? And I'm not sure, would a lawyer help my case? And if you fill out a waiver, in the midst of it being reviewed I won't be able to go visit my husband correct? Because it voids the waiver?

A lawyer may make it easier on you to file but isn't necessary and cannot do anything more than you can. You can visit him but still do have to prove that you couldn't stay and live with him. No, no chance that he won't be denied.

Hardships can include medical, children, being sole caregiver to a relative, financial, etc

Edited by Transborderwife

It should be pointed out that he would need to document why it would be a hardship to you if he were not admitted to the US, not him. These types of waivers aren't especially complicated, though many people choose to have an attorney handle it for them.

Unfortunately there is no chance that he doesn't have a ban. Since he overstayed by at least 365 days past the expiration date on his I-94 then he has a ten year bar which was triggered the day he left. As Boiler stated, expect the I-601 waiver process to take around six months, although the median time frame recently seems to be closer to 3-4 months. He cannot file the waiver until he has been found inadmissible by the embassy, but you can at least begin to prepare it now.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

will we get all the way up to the interview and they deny him his visa? even though I'm a citizen, and we're married?

Being a US citizen and married to a foreign national gives you no special immigration rights. I thought the same thing when I was going through the process, I found out early on I was wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes there is a chance he won't be denied. Anything is possible. I don't understand why you guys got married and then he left the U.S. If he was still here it would make it easier on you. Maybe I missed something. Good luck.

Ban for 10 years for overstay. Waiver process in the future. Gonna take some months more, but will not be impossible. Hangin there!

Good luck with your journey.

M.

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Timeline

Yes there is a chance he won't be denied. Anything is possible. I don't understand why you guys got married and then he left the U.S. If he was still here it would make it easier on you. Maybe I missed something. Good luck.

We didn't get married in the U.S., unlike others, we didn't marry in the US just to fix his status, we married overseas because we wanted to be married, and form a life together- not fix paperwork.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.