catofky

Married in neutral country, US citizen and Russian citizen. What now?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I really urge you to slow down. As just about everyone here will tell you, this is a long process. Do it right. Visit her a couple of times. By doing so, you will both feel more confident in the relationship. Then when you're ready and you've saved enough money, travel to Russia or a 3rd country to marry. After that, plan on at least a year to obtain a CR-1 visa. Best of luck to both of you.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Not true. A whole lot of countries fail to recognize any kind of gay marriage from another country. However, upon further reading, this is a bit not relevant, sorry, it's a personal sore spot. :)

OP, K1 fiance visa is normally *much* quicker than CR visa. Especially now that they are still processing all K1s in California. So if you goal is to be with your partner and her kids in US ASAP, I suggest visiting her once to get the proof and applying for K1 fiance visa the second you get back.

If you are willing to put up with multiple connections or longer overlays, you can get airplane tickets under 1000$. Yeah, I know, it's a lot. The only way around the "meet in person" requirement is either faith-based ("cannot see each other prior to getting married") or health-based wavier. Being short of cash is not going to cut it for USCIS.

Sorry, you are right, I just didn't think I needed to qualify that point in this thread for the OP and his wife... :)

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

there is the requirement to wait 30 days before the marriage after applying for "marriage license" - not that there is such a thing in RU, but it's similar. Nevertheless, ZAGS can grant you the permission to get married in shorter period of time if you are able to provide reasons backed up by some documents. If you want to consider getting married in Russia, I would def ask your fiancee to give local ZAGS a call and find out what they would consider a valid excuse. It'll help tremendously if she's got friends or relatives working in the department. It'll surely speed things up. Good luck!

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-02-03
US Entry : 2012-11-01

Adjustment of Status

I-485 sent : 2012-11-14
Interview : 2013-05-21

GC received: 2013-06-13

Removing conditions

I-751 Sent: 2015-03-02

Approval: 2015-12-11

GC received: 2015-12-21

Citizenship

N-400 sent: 2016-03-21

Interview: 2016-08-08

Oath: 2016-08-17

If we were to get married in one of those countries. Would the US recognize the marriage. YES

I will return to the US and she will return to Russia to wait the 6 months or so for a CR1 visa. I WOULD BET 100 DOLLARS THAT IT'S GONNA TAKE MORE THAN 6 MONTHS, UNFORTUNATELY.

Is there any way that she could come straight to the US after we are married and wait the 6 months there. NO

God Bless you both

You married on first meeting?

You married on first meeting?

My wife and I married on our first meeting in Philippines. 7 days into my visit. But of course I visited her 2 more times before taking her to the US Embassy Manila for the interview. I also attended the interview with her and am convinced that me being there helped.

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You can get the time waived at ZAGS.....Just show plane ticket and tell the ZAGS lady that you have to return home before the 30 day wait period.....It can and has been done before

Take American cigarettes and candies for gift.....the women smoke ultra lights.......and maybe pass her a thank you card with a 20 spot in it....

This is the FSU......a "gift will get you anything"

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

hi the way i understand the rules (I am a legal resident of Ukraine and married to a Ukrainian girl)- IS: her interview MUST be in the country you got married...

ZAKS in Ukraine... at least the main one in cether on 4 Richelskaya- candy or cigarettes of cash AINT GONNA work... so forget it THERE... there are 3 other zaks in Odessa as far as i know.... to get permission (they tell me the letter of Non impediment to marriage is not needed as of April 01, 2015... BUT they were all too happy to accept mine when i presented it, looked at it CLOSELY as they did ALL my other documents and accepted it on about April 4, 2015... maybe info filtering down slowly- getting back... the first office on Staritskogo st. said there are 3 situations that CAN allow for marriage faster with the soon upcoming death being one of them.... the other 2- i think one was pregnancy- ZAKS on Richel. said NOPE about this...the other one she didnt care about either... and honestly being a legal resident in Ukraine- it was kind of nice to see the 'PODOROK' system was 100 % refused= good for Ukraine

I can ONLY say if $ is a problem filing back in the states while you are working generating income... well that is what I would do.... depending on where you live in the states- you CAN have her go to a country where she does NOT need a visa such as Mexico or Dominican republic and meet which she stays there for some time... DR is not really very expensive at all (from my POV).

to David and Zolla..... ummmmm good luck- as far as i know USCIS ASSUMES ALL IN PHIL. IS FRAUD... and that is a tough one to get past... especially IF you got married in the first meeting after a week or so.... think about it- IF you were the USCIS and looked at this- wouldnt it seem EXTREMELY suspect- as in your Wife would do anything to get to the states.... time will tell but i thought the time line in these circumstances are closer to 2 years... i hope i am wrong

hi the way i understand the rules (I am a legal resident of Ukraine and married to a Ukrainian girl)- IS: her interview MUST be in the country you got married...

ZAKS in Ukraine... at least the main one in cether on 4 Richelskaya- candy or cigarettes of cash AINT GONNA work... so forget it THERE... there are 3 other zaks in Odessa as far as i know.... to get permission (they tell me the letter of Non impediment to marriage is not needed as of April 01, 2015... BUT they were all too happy to accept mine when i presented it, looked at it CLOSELY as they did ALL my other documents and accepted it on about April 4, 2015... maybe info filtering down slowly- getting back... the first office on Staritskogo st. said there are 3 situations that CAN allow for marriage faster with the soon upcoming death being one of them.... the other 2- i think one was pregnancy- ZAKS on Richel. said NOPE about this...the other one she didnt care about either... and honestly being a legal resident in Ukraine- it was kind of nice to see the 'PODOROK' system was 100 % refused= good for Ukraine

I can ONLY say if $ is a problem filing back in the states while you are working generating income... well that is what I would do.... depending on where you live in the states- you CAN have her go to a country where she does NOT need a visa such as Mexico or Dominican republic and meet which she stays there for some time... DR is not really very expensive at all (from my POV).

to David and Zolla..... ummmmm good luck- as far as i know USCIS ASSUMES ALL IN PHIL. IS FRAUD... and that is a tough one to get past... especially IF you got married in the first meeting after a week or so.... think about it- IF you were the USCIS and looked at this- wouldnt it seem EXTREMELY suspect- as in your Wife would do anything to get to the states.... time will tell but i thought the time line in these circumstances are closer to 2 years... i hope i am wrong

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For a K3 visa, the interview must take place in the country where the marriage occurred. For an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, the beneficiary can interview in the country in which they legally reside regardless of what country they married in.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

seems impossible... to keep up with all these changes they make... and add onto this the lag sometimes of years they take to update info on their (uscis and so on websites)... Ryan where can i find the info you posted? and i THOUGHT K 3 s were sort of a thing in the past? (to quote an immigration attorney in the USA)

For a K3 visa, the interview must take place in the country where the marriage occurred. For an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, the beneficiary can interview in the country in which they legally reside regardless of what country they married in.

seems impossible... to keep up with all these changes they make... and add onto this the lag sometimes of years they take to update info on their (uscis and so on websites)... Ryan where can i find the info you posted? and i THOUGHT K 3 s were sort of a thing in the past? (to quote an immigration attorney in the USA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you marry you will have to file separate petitions for the wife and each child. With the K-1 the children are included in the mother's petition.

Also make sure you meet the poverty requirements for the entire household. If you plan on bringing the two children that will be a household of 4.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.