Gianluca

just got married to a U.S Citizen

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everybody I just got married to a U.S. citizen and I now want to apply for the green card, should I hire a lawyer to do this or just do it by myself? the lawyer I found he would charge me $ 1.200 and I friend of mine actually told me that I just need it if I feel lazy not felling out paper for my self, I just think hiring a lawyer will guide me through this process but at the same time do I really need it? can anybody give me some advice?

You do not NEED to have an attorney to do your processs. But it is always very helpful. I have used one and that made it easier for us during this process. I am in Atlanta..if you want one in this area i can suggest a name to you.

Congratulations!

Where do you and your new spouse live? There's guides on this website that are easy to follow and mean you don't need a lawyer, unless you have some complicated circumstances.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

If your case does not have any red flags (e.g. ever having been unlawfully present/overstayed or having committed severe crimes), you don't need a lawyer. I'd save the money and follow the guides on here; they're pretty helpful: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Edited by StrawberryKiss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As said above, you do not need a lawyer if your case is pretty straight forward and have no red flags. But you have to do your research very thoroughly as this is obviously not something where you'd want to overlook any details.

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Timeline

Congratulations!

Where do you and your new spouse live? There's guides on this website that are easy to follow and mean you don't need a lawyer, unless you have some complicated circumstances.

thank you!! we live in NY, that is what I think also,

Timeline

As said above, you do not need a lawyer if your case is pretty straight forward and have no red flags. But you have to do your research very thoroughly as this is obviously not something where you'd want to overlook any details.

yes I think I will proceed without a lawyer or at least I will get ready all the forms I need ans forward them, would you consider overstayed a red flag? all people and lawyer I talked to they say it is not a problem if I overstayed but it would if I had come illegally into U.S.

Are you planning on returning to your home country or staying in the USA?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

yes I think I will proceed without a lawyer or at least I will get ready all the forms I need ans forward them, would you consider overstayed a red flag? all people and lawyer I talked to they say it is not a problem if I overstayed but it would if I had come illegally into U.S.

The Three Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than 180 days but less than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the US for three years from their date of departure.

The Ten Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the U.S. for ten years from their date of departure.

~~moved to AOS from work, tourist, and school visas from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as OP plans to AOS and not chase a visa~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If you decide to go with a lawyer I would recommend you to hire one from somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper than in NY state. Immigration law is all the same in the entire US. I know one from Marietta,GA Trecia Klinke +1 678 713 4255 http://www.klinkeimmigration.com/en/ You may check with her and see what price she can offer you.

Edited by emcia_81

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The Three Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than 180 days but less than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the US for three years from their date of departure.

The Ten Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the U.S. for ten years from their date of departure.

None of this is relevant in this case. Nobody has left the USA, or intends to. Overstay will be forgiven in this instance.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.