Gianluca

just got married to a U.S Citizen

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Overstay will be forgiven.

I came her as F1 student and after attending school for a year, I could not go back to school for some reasons beyond my control.

I overstayed my visa for years.

And I applied AOS in Aug 2014, and just got Green Card on Nov 19, 2014.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

OP, the decision on whether or not to retain an attorney can only be made by you. One thing that can guide your decision making is this, look through all the instructions for the necessary forms and the forms themselves. Make a determination on your own comfort level in filling out the forms. If you are comfortable filling out the forms yourself and there is nothing in your background that could cause major problems, then an attorney is probably not necessary. On the flip side, if you are not comfortable filling out the forms yourself, then legal or professional assistance would probably be for you.

Regardless of what you decide, it will still be your responsibility to gather accompanying documents and evidence for your file.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree with the prior poster's assertion that having an attorney will make the process go smoothly. Retaining an attorney will in no way guarantee your process will go smoothly, I've seen other members post on many occasions that the attorney they hired screwed up their case causing delays that would not have otherwise occurred.

thanks I appreciated your response

Timeline

If you decide to go with a lawyer I would recommend you to hire one from somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper than in NY state. Immigration law is all the same in the entire US. I know one from Marietta,GA Trecia Klinke +1 678 713 4255 http://www.klinkeimmigration.com/en/ You may check with her and see what price she can offer you.

great! this is awesome advise, thank you very much!

Hire an atty. It will make your process to go smoothly!! You will have enough with the stress of waiting!!

Be it filing with an attorney or yourself, the stress of waiting doesn't change.

OP, the decision on whether or not to retain an attorney can only be made by you. One thing that can guide your decision making is this, look through all the instructions for the necessary forms and the forms themselves. Make a determination on your own comfort level in filling out the forms. If you are comfortable filling out the forms yourself and there is nothing in your background that could cause major problems, then an attorney is probably not necessary. On the flip side, if you are not comfortable filling out the forms yourself, then legal or professional assistance would probably be for you.

Regardless of what you decide, it will still be your responsibility to gather accompanying documents and evidence for your file.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree with the prior poster's assertion that having an attorney will make the process go smoothly. Retaining an attorney will in no way guarantee your process will go smoothly, I've seen other members post on many occasions that the attorney they hired screwed up their case causing delays that would not have otherwise occurred.

Overstay is not relevant in this case.

The Three Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than 180 days but less than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the US for three years from their date of departure.

The Ten Year Bar: Persons who remain in the U.S. after their authorized stay has expired for more than one year, and who leave the U.S. prior to the institution of removal proceedings, are barred from reentering the U.S. for ten years from their date of departure.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Timeline

Be it filing with an attorney or yourself, the stress of waiting doesn't change.

thnaks, btw my wife is Filipino!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.