justhelping

Complete list of AOS interview questions

23 posts in this topic

I think its better to get scared now and get over that fear, than to get "surprised" and scared by one of those unexpected questions during the interview.

Interview requires you to answer interviewer's questions right away, you will bring unnecessary suspicions on yourself when you start to scramble for answers, or get caught by surprise by a series of repetitive questions. It doesn't make any sense to don't get prepared by going through all possible questions and scenarios - after all it's your future and wellbeing in this country is at stakes. Also, when you pay top dollar for a good lawyer, he will go through all of these questions with you before interview anyway to make sure you are ready.

Also, without preparation you can easily get answers with your spouse wrong on some of the most basic questions, just go through this list to see for yourself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What visa were you adjusting from? This is not a typical interview for those adjusting from a family based visa, which is the forum you have posted in.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

What visa were you adjusting from? This is not a typical interview for those adjusting from a family based visa, which is the forum you have posted in.

Any of these questions could be asked during family based AOS interviews both regular and strokes. Interviewer assumes you know the answer to any of these questions - after all you're living together and supposed to know all of it.

Edited by justhelping

Timeline

Could be, but usually not. This prep seems more geared towards someone who is suspected of wanting the green card for immigration purposes only, a second interview or Stokes. I have never seen anyone adjusting from a K-1 state that they were asked this many questions or grilled that much, period. Interviews of those adjusting from a K-1 are usually short and not so involved. This is overkill, unless you are suspect for some reason, and/or asked to return for a second interview.

You state you recently passed an AOS interview, but you just joined yesterday and have no timeline filled out. Again, what visa were adjusting from and how many of these questions were you actually asked? Was it your first or second interview?

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My interview consisted of 5 questions:

What is your full name.

What is your Mothers first name

What is your Fathers first name

When did you Meet Mike

Have a great day.

This is great for prep for someone who is having a hard time proving a bona fide marriage, but this is going to scare the hell out of some people when they see this.

Mine was same way too..

She asked me my wife's date of birth and asked my wife my date of birth.

She asked me my wife's parent's first names and asked my wife my parents first names.

She then asked us to tell her how we met. In her own words "The more you tell me about your relationship, the less I will have to ask anything."

After my wife and I told her about our relationship spanning 2 years before we got married..the number of back and forth trips (5 in all) I made to come visit her..to when we eventually got married..she smiled and just told us. That's all she wanted to know. She was going to approve our petition.

She then made a copy of our rental insurance letter and our utility bill. Didn't look at ANY of the evidence we had carried. Photos and all..Nothing.

We were in and out in 10-15 minutes. And she was such a sweet lady (middle aged - 45-50 years)..very nice and smiled and joked with us throughout the whole interview.

My wife and I didn't go through any lists because we were for real so we didn't need any lists.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

being overprepared can backfire and come off as if you've memorized things about your relationship and spouse just for the sake of the interview. a couple in a bonafide marriage, especially adjusting from a K1, shouldn't have to worry too much about anticipating what questions will be asked and preparing detailed answers in advance.

some of the OP's anticipated questions are about medical examinations. many K1s do not have to undergo a second medical exam once they are stateside so i'm wondering if OP/OP's spouse adjusted from a non-family based visa, perhaps.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Hmm to avoid complications and confusions:

This is a list compiled of questions found for google search "AOS interview questions", many different lists filtered out and boiled down to one complete list, all these questions are from AOS family based interviews.

My timeline is :

June 2 - AOS sent

July 7 - Biomethrics

July 15 - Interview Letter

August 18 - EAD received

August 21 - Interview passed, around 30 questions asked total, despite the fact that interview looked like a simple conversation.

August 30 - GC received

If you really live together there is NO need to memorize anything, you already know this stuff.

This is mostly a check list for people who are not aware of all the dates and names needed to be put together for the interview. Often times husband is not aware of many household details/tasks his wife going through while he is away at work. Sometimes families forget to discuss such details of past history as what status they arrived at the country at, previous employment history etc. If you used lawyer to deal with papers, there is a possibility that one of the spouses might not be aware of all of the information from biographical pages.

AOS family based not is not centered on K-1 applicants either - many applicants who adjust already in the country for a while.

But by all means, prepare just for 5 basic questions and see how it goes on the interview.

Edited by justhelping

Timeline

You still do not say what visa you were adjusting from. This forum is for AOS from a family based visa, not simply AOS based on marriage to a USC. What visa you entered the country with is the visa you are adjusting from. This forum is for those that entered the US with a family based visa such as the K-1. Not any other type of legal entry to the US. Many people adjusting from a K-1 visa do not even get an interview. When they do, their interviews are usually fairly short and straightforward, since the relationship was vetted at their K-1 visa interview already. Also, most do not need or use a lawyer.

I am going to move this post to the forum that is designated for AOS from other types of visas, since it does not seem you adjusted from a family based visa, and long interviews with this type of questioning is not common for adjustment from a K-1.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas ~

I saw a K-1 AOSer get a Stokes interview. It can happen.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Dont tell me that all of those questions youve been asked? :wacko:

05/24/14 (day 01) Sent AOS package

05/26/14 (day 02) Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/04/14 (day 10) Txt msg & Email received

06/09/14 (day 13) Received NOA1

06/26/14 (day 30) Biometrics Done

07/07/14 (day 41) Case moved to Testing&Interview

10/20/14 (day 146) Interview scheduled for November 25

11/25/14 (day 182) Interview,Approved on a spot

12/01/14 Received Welcome to USA letter

12/03/14 Card was mailed

12/04/15 Received Green Card on mail

08/30/14 Sent I-765

09/05/14 Txt msg & Email received

09/08/14 Received NOA1

10/29/14 EAD Card Production

11/04/14 Got tracking num for EAD

11/05/14 EAD on hands

Timeline

I saw a K-1 AOSer get a Stokes interview. It can happen.

Yes, it can happen, but it is not typical. If they were called back for a second interview, then I would suggest they seek a lawyer and prepare for a Stokes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.