Sungtory

New Rules Regarding Obtaining SSN (K1)

51 posts in this topic

Not all federal government employees know the rules. I went to the SSA office and I had to explain about K-1 visa to her. The funny thing was that she asked me if I was working and I told her can't do that until at least have EAD.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

What do you mark it? In our cases, the beneficiary is a legal alien but not allowed to work yet.

K1 visa holders are to mark Legal Alien allowed to work on the SS-5. Reference here: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

-Although, of course, K1s do have to wait for the EAD before being able to work legally.

Expires in November and she officially changed her last name when we filed for our marriage license.

I was under the impression (based on VJ stories) that applying for ssn before marriage is quasi-redundant since she would have to apply for a new one upon getting a new last name.

Like I said, I can't argue the "new rules" so we'll just apply for gc and go from there.

I don't see any new policy update in the SSA website regarding K1s, so I have a feeling that the SSA clerk you talked to is just making up this "new rules". K1s are still definitely eligible for SSN and marriage does not change this eligibility.

Just curious, did you also bring a filled out SS-5? I also don't see any change in the SS-5 instructions either: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I swear you guys must've gotten the same guy we did.

My husband and I went to the social security office in St. Paul a few weeks ago to change my last name with SSA. We weren't intending to get him a SS number until after he had received his EAD. However after the three hour wait we got this real happy guy. He asked my husband where he was from noticing his accent and said England. And he said "You need social security number?" We explained he was on a K-1 Visa and that we were planning to come back and get him one after getting his EAD in a few months.

And he said "Oh no he can get social security number now!" and practically threw a app and pen at him in a humorous friendly way. He also gave us the impression he could work after getting that SS card. But we knew better. We knew that he CANNOT work until he gets his EAD. We didn't bother arguing though just thankful he was getting a SS card.

When he got the SS card on it it read "For Work only with DHS Authorization" meaning you need your EAD to work.

Also the man who helped us had quite the accent so it was hard to understand a lot of what he said.

Despite staff not knowing how things work, I take comfort knowing that you still got your card/number without issue.

K1 visa holders are to mark Legal Alien allowed to work on the SS-5. Reference here: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

-Although, of course, K1s do have to wait for the EAD before being able to work legally.

I don't see any new policy update in the SSA website regarding K1s, so I have a feeling that the SSA clerk you talked to is just making up this "new rules". K1s are still definitely eligible for SSN and marriage does not change this eligibility.

Just curious, did you also bring a filled out SS-5? I also don't see any change in the SS-5 instructions either: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Thanks for clarifying.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Expires in November and she officially changed her last name when we filed for our marriage license.

I was under the impression (based on VJ stories) that applying for ssn before marriage is quasi-redundant since she would have to apply for a new one upon getting a new last name.

Like I said, I can't argue the "new rules" so we'll just apply for gc and go from there.

go to a different SSA office,

apply in VISA Name,

ask for A# lookup and VISA Name lookup in the SAVE database.

do not apply in married name, do not mention married,

as

most SSA clerks not receive proper training on this.

The clerk that sent you out was wrong, fwiw.

But - go elsewhere, nowish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I suppose we can try our luck at another office this time using her maiden name.

Believe me, I referenced everything I read here and knew the policy front to back in case we get stuck with bad luck (incompetent employee) but they flat out denied us.

Thank you all for sharing.

After getting a K1 visa within 3 months with no RFE, entered without secondary screen and marriage, I knew it was just going wayyyy too smoothly <_<

My husband just got his in the mail last week! He entered the country on July 25th; we were at the SS office on the 28th. Didn't even have a copy of the I94. It took 5 business days to get it in the mail. This was in Santa Barbara, California. All he had with him was his passport. The woman who helped us had access to all she needed in that and the online database. It was a cake walk. I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience. Your person clearly didn't know what he or she was talking about. :(

Edit to add, we were also married that day, so he was my husband at that point.

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

I couldn't agree more with what fellow Vjers are posting in re "new rules" AKA full of $%@t

Bottom line is that, I brought all the necessary documents which she was required to have 1.k1 visa, 2. certified marriage cert 3. passport 4. valid i-94 but just encountered bad luck (incompetent employee).

I remained calm (since I'm not going anywhere in this "battle") and tried to explain that she IS eligible but the clerk wouldn't even let me finish...even her supervisor/sr employee wouldn't hear me out.

only thing I didn't have is a authorization letter from DHS allowing her to work...which I didn't think it was necessary since so many postings said that k1 holders ARE eligible without it.

go to a different SSA office,

apply in VISA Name,

ask for A# lookup and VISA Name lookup in the SAVE database.

do not apply in married name, do not mention married,

as

most SSA clerks not receive proper training on this.

The clerk that sent you out was wrong, fwiw.

But - go elsewhere, nowish.

I second your suggestion. I believe my "mistake" was to say that we were married...for the purpose of getting ssn without a hassle I should just fill out the application using her maiden name as it appears on her passport and i-94.

Thank you very much for your input. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would go back...

I got my SSN not too long ago (less than a month). Also, bring the birth certificate (I forgot mine and had to go back).

I went in and explained that I did my POE as a K1 Fiance. We were married and have the marriage certificate. I showed all the same paperwork + my birth certificate. The guy at our service office (Anaheim, Orange County) said that he can put it through but the SSN application may get deleted. I never heard of that either and posted a thread about it... a lot of VJ'ers said that isn't possible. That the department of homeland security and SSN office don't have the same access and one cannot delete an application off another system. I called back and they said to wait the 2-6 weeks. Within 2 weeks my SSN card was sent to my place... no problem.

I'm thinking you got someone who was unaware of the rules. I'd go back.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Apply for ITIN until the green card comes in. They just need proof of marriage (Certified) and a couple forms of id (Certified). Afterwards she will get the ITIN number. This can be used in place of her normal SSN until she is granted a SSN.

ITIN# Is only for tax purposes.... Just been through this working as a Canadian in USA. I obtained a SSN with my TN visa, and on the front of the card :states for work purposes only. You cannot get a SSN without a work visa or green card, unless things have changed from a year ago.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are going tomorrow to apply for an SSN. We are getting married on Monday, so wanted to do this while her names matched everything. I will update with how it went.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I swear you guys must've gotten the same guy we did.

My husband and I went to the social security office in St. Paul a few weeks ago to change my last name with SSA. We weren't intending to get him a SS number until after he had received his EAD. However after the three hour wait we got this real happy guy. He asked my husband where he was from noticing his accent and said England. And he said "You need social security number?" We explained he was on a K-1 Visa and that we were planning to come back and get him one after getting his EAD in a few months.

And he said "Oh no he can get social security number now!" and practically threw a app and pen at him in a humorous friendly way. He also gave us the impression he could work after getting that SS card. But we knew better. We knew that he CANNOT work until he gets his EAD. We didn't bother arguing though just thankful he was getting a SS card.

When he got the SS card on it it read "For Work only with DHS Authorization" meaning you need your EAD to work.

Also the man who helped us had quite the accent so it was hard to understand a lot of what he said.

Minnesota Nice!

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

ITIN# Is only for tax purposes.... Just been through this working as a Canadian in USA. I obtained a SSN with my TN visa, and on the front of the card :states for work purposes only. You cannot get a SSN without a work visa or green card, unless things have changed from a year ago.

K-1 visa holders have always been eligble for SSN. The problem is that the SSA can only issue a SSN/card in the name as it appears in the SAVE database which, until any name change (e.g., married name) has been processed by USCIS when they approve the EAD or GC, the SSA can only go by the maiden name as it appears on the K-1's passport/visa and the I-94 which are all obviously issued in the maiden name. When a name change is required and you want the SSN before the EAD/GC arrives, getting the "final" SS card in the married name is a two-step process - get the number issued in the maiden name then return with EAD/GC and marriage certificate to have a new SS card issued. I'm not certain, but the marriage certificate might not even be necessary because USCIS has already used it as the basis to issue the EAD/GC in the married name but it can't hurt to take it to the SSA office just in case.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

No new rules, you just got fed a line.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.