newbud

disappointed,need help

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks. I have already worked as manager in my previous job,where i had to deal with customers on daily basis.Its just company couldn't renew contract to work in America so everybody was laid off.When new company tries to set its roots in different country and it's a customer services area,they always try to find people well-versed in native language.That was their first requirement for job application.I was promoted two times and pay was raised.So i can say that i already worked at job where english fluency was basic requirement.

Thanks. I have already worked as a manager in my previous job where iI had to deal with customers on daily basis. Its just that the company couldn't renew its contract to work in America. sSo everyonebody was laid off. When a new company tries to set its roots in a different country and it's a customer services industry area, they always try to find people well-versed in the local native language. That was their first requirement for a job application. I was promoted two times with salary increasesand pay was raised. So, iI can say that iI have already worked at a job where eEnglish fluency was a basic requirement.

Suggestions. Not criticism.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Umm, you are wrong. You are supposed to use one space after the period. Never seen it otherwise, and I have read plenty in English.

When I was taught in school it was always two spaces, but I wonder if that was to give teachers a little bit more room to write comments? Personally, I find two spaces to be easier on the eyes.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

Two spaces was the old standard. In the digital age, it's more common to see one space or no spaces after a full stop.

That said, I still type with two spaces after a period as that's how I was taught when I first learned to touch-type. My younger colleagues tend to use one stop after a period.

OP, I think the general advice of networking would apply to your situation (informational interviews) as well as making sure you have a decent profile on LinkedIn. There must be a relevant membership organisation, local chamber of commerce or meetup group that runs events that would be useful to attend. You need to put yourself out there and meet people face-to-face. Sending in resumes in response to job ads is usually unproductive and depressing.

Edited by landr

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Umm, you are wrong. You are supposed to use one space after the period.

Two spaces has been customary for decades. Recently there is a trend to one space but nowhere is Newbud's style of no spaces utilized.

Two spaces was the old standard. In the digital age, it's more common to see one space or no spaces after a full stop.

That said, I still type with two spaces after a period as that's how I was taught when I first learned to touch-type. My younger colleagues tend to use one stop after a period.

OP, I think the general advice of networking would apply to your situation (informational interviews) as well as making sure you have a decent profile on LinkedIn. There must be a relevant membership organisation, local chamber of commerce or meetup group that runs events that would be useful to attend. You need to put yourself out there and meet people face-to-face. Sending in resumes in response to job ads is usually unproductive and depressing.

Thanks for advice,i have started going to meet-ups and job fairs.Hope it helps me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You know what? When I read threads like this I'm SO glad that I'm just an ordinary working grunt that doesn't have to worry about all things "professional." Appearance, education, grammar, spelling - all complete non-issues when you spend your working day surrounded by hogs in various states of dismemberment!

Hey, newbud - my place is always hiring. And English is most definitely not a requirement (ditto education, good moral character, the ability to walk upright, etc....) :thumbs:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

You know what? When I read threads like this I'm SO glad that I'm just an ordinary working grunt that doesn't have to worry about all things "professional." Appearance, education, grammar, spelling - all complete non-issues when you spend your working day surrounded by hogs in various states of dismemberment!

Hey, newbud - my place is always hiring. And English is most definitely not a requirement (ditto education, good moral character, the ability to walk upright, etc....) :thumbs:

Thanks for the support

I am in America for last 2 years having permanent green card.When i came i found it hard to get job in spite of holding masters degree.(even i got my degrees evaluated they are equivalent to US masters)But i got job with great hard work within 3 months(may be i sent around tons of resumes everyday)It was commissioned sales where i worked with undergrads but i excelled in job.After 10 months job was taking to my nerve as it was struggle everyday and my manager became my good friend,he also came in US 10 years back so kept on suggesting me that you got better skills ,better try for good jobs.He kept on telling me his story that how he got struck in here and now does not want to move to other jobs due to family priorities.So i quit within 10 months(as that job was part time,struggling and couldn't pay my bills).Last year again when job search came,i went through hell.After 3 months struggle i got management job where i got paid well.Now this company got laid off 2 months back(it was a foreign company couldn't renew contract to work in US this year)so everyone lost job.Now again i am sitting at home applying for jobs everyday,no luck.I have US management experience to write on resume.Its been 2 months ,i learnt new computer skills and added them on resume along with 2 years experience here,applying everyday but not getting any response.Since i came i couldn't go back to my home country to meet my people because of job(and money of course).Now i am planning to visit them in couple months only if i find job.

I am ready to relocate its on my resume,even trying to other states jobs but no luck.I applied on career builder,monster almost everywhere.I already contacted hiring agency ,they even sent me to an interview but it turned out that interviewer is looking for sales on phone person,but agency told me that it is admin job.So i said no even interviewer didn't want to hire me(after working as manager don't want to go back to cold calling sales role)Even a friend of mine tried for me in his ex company.I passed the test but didn't get hired.They emailed me my background does not fit(they were working on it for 15 days and if resume didn't fit why did they proceed with test,my friend got disappointed more than me.I think he worked in past as director of company so now doesn't have good hold on company but i can't say this to him)

I am disappointed right now,just not feeling good about anything.Since i came to america things have always been tough on work side.On the other side i was earning better in my home country.

I really need support and words of advice.

Thanks

To be frank, my experience here has been awful since the economy collapsed in 2008. I was born here, I have an advanced degree from a good university, and I am not working, because if I were, I'd be making a pittance. My wife and I are returning to the Philippines to run our own businesses this autumn.

This isn't the America I grew up in - it's basically a third world country. If I could trade my passport for an EU, Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand passport, I'd do it in a hot minute.

Good luck.

Edited by Jon and Sol

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

When I was taught in school it was always two spaces, but I wonder if that was to give teachers a little bit more room to write comments? Personally, I find two spaces to be easier on the eyes.

Two spaces has been customary for decades. Recently there is a trend to one space but nowhere is Newbud's style of no spaces utilized.

It has to do with kerning. It's the sort of thing that creates massive flame wars on editor lists when people aren't in a publication cycle and are bored.

Newbud: if you are so convinced of your ability to "pass" in proper English when speaking, you may want to consider having a professional review your resume and cover letters. My guess would be you have some issues there that you are not seeing. That said, I believe it's average for people to be out of work approximately 18 weeks right now, but the mean is much higher.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for the support

No problem. :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Why is everyone tearing apart his writing skills? He came asking if anyone had advice on employment, not written or language skills. He has a masters, it isn't as though he isn't educated. He said his degree is up to US standards, he doesn't need to go back to school.

OP: It took my husband 10 full months after he was in the US to find a job in is field, he sent literally hundreds of resumes and went on dozens of interviews with no luck. In the interim he worked at Walmart just because he was bored sitting around at home. The job he was finally hired for in his field was as an intern, he had to get his foot in the door somewhere and not many companies are willing to hire a new immigrant with no US experience. The internship was for 6 months but the company ended up hiring him permanently after 4 months, with a good salary and very good benefits. His degree is up to US standards like yours, but the economy is tough even for US citizens who were born and educated here. The only thing you can do is keep trying and make sure your resume is up to US standards. There are many online sites to compare and help build your resume if you aren't sure if it is. Something will come up you just need to be patient. Like I said in his economy it's tough for everyone out there.

Good luck

Edited by mimolicious

Why is everyone tearing apart his writing skills? He came asking if anyone had advice on employment, not written or language skills. He has a masters, it isn't as though he isn't educated. He said his degree is up to US standards, he doesn't need to go back to school.

OP: It took my husband 10 full months after he was in the US to find a job in is field, he sent literally hundreds of resumes and went on dozens of interviews with no luck. In the interim he worked at Walmart just because he was bored sitting around at home. The job he was finally hired for in his field was as an intern, he had to get his foot in the door somewhere and not many companies are willing to hire a new immigrant with no US experience. The internship was for 6 months but the company ended up hiring him permanently after 4 months, with a good salary and very good benefits. His degree is up to US standards like yours, but the economy is tough even for US citizens who were born and educated here. The only thing you can do is keep trying and make sure your resume is up to US standards. There are many online sites to compare and help build your resume if you aren't sure if it is. Something will come up you just need to be patient. Like I said in his economy it's tough for everyone out there.

Good luck

I thank everyone for their time but this is the most useful and encouraging advice so far. I think yes trying is the only key.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Actually the 2 space rule is gone. Old. Get with the new times.

Other advice for this OP is this. You wanted to come to America, and now you are here. So, either work harder to get what you want, or go back to your home country. If money is your complaint, then either get over it or change your life.

To Newbud, here is a tip. When writing, there are always two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. This is advice and not criticism. You are obviously smart and this is just a way to better demonstrate just how smart you are. I wish you luck in your job search because you are already putting in lots of hard work.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Go to chamber of commerce and see what events they might need volunteers for... Volunteer at events that attract business people... Make up business cards with your contact info and give them to everyone you have a chance to contact... Network, network, network...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.