newbud

disappointed,need help

40 posts in this topic

I am in America for last 2 years having permanent green card.When i came i found it hard to get job in spite of holding masters degree.(even i got my degrees evaluated they are equivalent to US masters)But i got job with great hard work within 3 months(may be i sent around tons of resumes everyday)It was commissioned sales where i worked with undergrads but i excelled in job.After 10 months job was taking to my nerve as it was struggle everyday and my manager became my good friend,he also came in US 10 years back so kept on suggesting me that you got better skills ,better try for good jobs.He kept on telling me his story that how he got struck in here and now does not want to move to other jobs due to family priorities.So i quit within 10 months(as that job was part time,struggling and couldn't pay my bills).Last year again when job search came,i went through hell.After 3 months struggle i got management job where i got paid well.Now this company got laid off 2 months back(it was a foreign company couldn't renew contract to work in US this year)so everyone lost job.Now again i am sitting at home applying for jobs everyday,no luck.I have US management experience to write on resume.Its been 2 months ,i learnt new computer skills and added them on resume along with 2 years experience here,applying everyday but not getting any response.Since i came i couldn't go back to my home country to meet my people because of job(and money of course).Now i am planning to visit them in couple months only if i find job.

I am ready to relocate its on my resume,even trying to other states jobs but no luck.I applied on career builder,monster almost everywhere.I already contacted hiring agency ,they even sent me to an interview but it turned out that interviewer is looking for sales on phone person,but agency told me that it is admin job.So i said no even interviewer didn't want to hire me(after working as manager don't want to go back to cold calling sales role)Even a friend of mine tried for me in his ex company.I passed the test but didn't get hired.They emailed me my background does not fit(they were working on it for 15 days and if resume didn't fit why did they proceed with test,my friend got disappointed more than me.I think he worked in past as director of company so now doesn't have good hold on company but i can't say this to him)

I am disappointed right now,just not feeling good about anything.Since i came to america things have always been tough on work side.On the other side i was earning better in my home country.

I really need support and words of advice.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

What i can advise you to do us get a US education. You can apply for a loan and go for Masters like MBA. I have 6.5 years of work experience in U.S and if I didnt have an MBA from U.S, there was no way I could get a job. Recruiters want to see U.S education.

I would get in touch with a recruiter, and seek out companies you are interested in and go for "informational interviews."

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

What i can advise you to do us get a US education. You can apply for a loan and go for Masters like MBA. I have 6.5 years of work experience in U.S and if I didnt have an MBA from U.S, there was no way I could get a job. Recruiters want to see U.S education.

Thanks for the advice.Many people have suggested me about it and i am planning it but first i want job to survive.When i came people said recruiters look for US experience,now i have it on resume and what's the guarantee of getting good job after getting degree,this is what i am worried about.Also i am planning to get relevant job and then get few relevant certifications to enhance career.

Its not that i don't like studying,its i have studied lot in home country(have double masters).

I would get in touch with a recruiter, and seek out companies you are interested in and go for "informational interviews."

what's the meaning of 'informational interviews'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you considered a different field entirely? There are always laboring jobs, in landscaping or irrigation or construction. Then, if you have management skills you can work up. At any rate it would pay the bills for now. Often it's not about what you know but who you know, and getting out working at anything puts you in contact with so many prospective employers. Who knows, the person whose lawn you mow may have an opening in his or her company. Good luck with it, it's tough not seeing family for so long.

Have you considered a different field entirely? There are always laboring jobs, in landscaping or irrigation or construction. Then, if you have management skills you can work up. At any rate it would pay the bills for now. Often it's not about what you know but who you know, and getting out working at anything puts you in contact with so many prospective employers. Who knows, the person whose lawn you mow may have an opening in his or her company. Good luck with it, it's tough not seeing family for so long.

Thanks for support.Sales and management is totally different field than what i did back in my country.I can go back to cold calling sales entry level jobs any time,its easy to get but i don't see any growth in future(its same thing i did when i came so starting from it again is no use).Now the things seem more difficult than when i came here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You also might want to get some tutoring or take a college class in English composition. The way you write, especially if you are writing a cover letter in a similar style, could be a bit of a turn off. My husband has a 9/10th grade education from another country and his grammar and usage of English is by far superior. I realize you are writing informally on here, but a few pointers in American English can't hurt.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

You also might want to get some tutoring or take a college class in English composition. The way you write, especially if you are writing a cover letter in a similar style, could be a bit of a turn off. My husband has a 9/10th grade education from another country and his grammar and usage of English is by far superior. I realize you are writing informally on here, but a few pointers in American English can't hurt.

Thanks for the advice.I worked as an english teacher in past and qualified IELTS international exam with 8.5 grade(on the scale of 9).I am not writing here to show my english writing skills.I don't know where you found the grammatical error in my writing and forced you to compare.I would appreciate any relevant support and suggestion to the topic.

Edited by newbud

I think he is not seeking advice on english improvement. I have seen worst english posts here. People come here to seek support and advice in hard time and people guide each other for betterment.

ROC sent (DAY 00) -2/21/2014

ROC received at center (DAY 03) -2/24/2014

NOA received at home (DAY 07) -2/28/2014 (NOA dated 2/24/2014)

BIO received at home (DAY 12) -3/05/2014 (bio appt on 3/20/2014)

BIO appt (early bio) (DAY 12) -3/05/2014

Approval decision date (DAY 89) -5/21/2014

Approval letter received (DAY 91) -5/23/2014

Card received at home (DAY 102)-6/03/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for the advice.I worked as an english teacher in past and qualified IELTS international exam with 8.5 grade(on the scale of 9).I am not writing here to show my english writing skills.I don't know where you found the grammatical error in my writing and forced you to compare.I would appreciate any relevant support and suggestion to the topic.

I'm sorry, I thought you were looking for advice on finding employment, was I wrong?

I know quite a few cashiers and waitresses in America who have college degrees, what makes you think that with your sub par grasp of our language, that you are more deserving of a job than them? Exactly. You need to up your game and be better than the native competition if you want to get and keep a job.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

He is looking for a well paid management job. With the competition in the job market as it is, being able to write and speak with a high degree of fluency would definitely help. When I first read his original message I thought it was OK but not great. I would think twice before hiring him if the job had any writing requirements whatsoever.

To Newbud, here is a tip. When writing, there are always two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. This is advice and not criticism. You are obviously smart and this is just a way to better demonstrate just how smart you are. I wish you luck in your job search because you are already putting in lots of hard work.

Thanks for advice.I am not writing here from the point of showing my writing skills.

In both my previous jobs nobody asked about my writing skills,i am fluent in english because english is official language in my home country.I think more than here,if you don't speak fluent english in my home country, you can't even get low level job.

If you apply for job with resume and don't get call back for interview,definitely its more than writing skills.

Whichever job interview i appeared for,nobody asked me to write a paragraph to find out grammatical errors.

I have never heard about it before,even my friends working as admin don't tell me that interviewer asked them to write paragraph in order to test their skills(it could happen with someone just i have not heard about it)

I think when you speak,they find out about your fluency and grammar and if you pass math or computer skills test and don't go to next interview level,its something other than writing skills.

I request all please don't read my post from the point of view of finding english grammatical errors,i am not trying to apply for english jobs.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for advice.I am not writing here from the point of showing my writing skills.

In both my previous jobs nobody asked about my writing skills,i am fluent in english because english is official language in my home country.I think more than here,if you don't speak fluent english in my home country, you can't even get low level job.

If you apply for job with resume and don't get call back for interview,definitely its more than writing skills.

Whichever job interview i appeared for,nobody asked me to write a paragraph to find out grammatical errors.

I have never heard about it before,even my friends working as admin don't tell me that interviewer asked them to write paragraph in order to test their skills(it could happen with someone just i have not heard about it)

I think when you speak,they find out about your fluency and grammar and if you pass math or computer skills test and don't go to next interview level,its something other than writing skills.

I request all please don't read my post from the point of view of finding english grammatical errors,i am not trying to apply for english jobs.

And you have ignored the very simple advice I offered. When typing, it is normal to use two spaces after periods at the end of a sentence and one space after other punctuation.

If you want to talk about your original post, we can start with the first sentence:

I am in America for last 2 years having permanent green card.

The first issue here is with your verb tense, and in particular the "to be" verb tense. You use the present tense "I am" when you should be using the past participle perfect form "I have been." You're also using a present progressive (indicative) tense for "having" when you should be using the simple present indicative of "have." You're also missing the articles "the" and "a," and need another reference to the subject (you). Highlighted, here are the problem areas of the sentence:

I am in America for [] last 2 years [] having [] permanent green card.

With the proper grammar, this is what the sentence should look like:

I have been in America for the last 2 years I have a permanent green card.

Technically, however, this is also a run-on sentence (containing two independent clauses). The sentences should either be separated with a period, forming two sentences, or a semi-colon:

I have been in America for the last 2 years. I have a permanent green card.

I have been in America for the last 2 years; I have a permanent green card.

Please understand that I'm not trying to embarrass you. I speak other languages and I understand that it's really hard to become proficient in them, and fluency takes a lot of work. But you indicate you're frustrated that you cannot move into a certain level of job that you want, and as other posters have noted, managerial level jobs do typically require native fluency in the language that you'll be working in - presumably English.

I would strongly recommend that you look into your local community college for courses in basic English. They can test your reading and writing levels and place you in the appropriate class(es), where you can improve your skills to match the job that you would like to have.

Thanks. I have already worked as manager in my previous job,where i had to deal with customers on daily basis.Its just company couldn't renew contract to work in America so everybody was laid off.When new company tries to set its roots in different country and it's a customer services area,they always try to find people well-versed in native language.That was their first requirement for job application.I was promoted two times and pay was raised.So i can say that i already worked at job where english fluency was basic requirement.

Edited by newbud

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.