mindah

Did you book your fight before attending the interview?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my K1 interview in Montreal on May 13. Anybody care to tell me how long they waited to have their visa in hand after the interview? Looking to book a flight asap as prices go up drastically the closer you get to the date of your travel.

thx guys and gals!

I have my K1 interview in Montreal on May 13. Anybody care to tell me how long they waited to have their visa in hand after the interview? Looking to book a flight asap as prices go up drastically the closer you get to the date of your travel.

thx guys and gals!

Not really a good idea. It's highly suggested to book flights only when the visa is at hand. Some may say when the ceac status says "issued", but never ever book a flight so soon.

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

thx guys and gals!

No. We booked our flights 2 days before departed or almost 3 weeks after the interview. Not because of visa thing but we had problem to get done the papers of my 2 cats from Indonesian government. Based on my experience, I had my passport with the visa 3 days after the interview. You need to lookup average waiting times for Canadians on consulate reviews to get an idea. Good luck for the upcoming interview!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely wouldn't make plans to travel until the visa is in hand, I know it's hard to wait any longer but it also sucks to potentially waste money!

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I booked our flight about a week after we expected to get the visa. The risk was $250 change fee from the airlines or having to pay more than that for a flight on a few days notice. Weigh your options and it might make sense to book early. I also did a round trip ticket and just cancelled the return leg once we got back into the USA. Was alot cheaper.

Citizenship:

Service Center: Online
CIS Office :         San Diego CA
Date Filed :         2018-07-13
NOA Date :         2018-07-20
Bio. Appt. :         2018-07-31
Interview Date:  2018-04-12

Many cases go to administrative processing and that can take severals months.

I was approved on march 18 but no visa yet.

Everything was good in my interview but my case is in ap.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the input guys, I will study the average wait times for the Montreal consulate and will make a decision from there (if I take a chance or not). For 150 bucks, it may be worth the risk... My flight if booked a month+ in advance; 150.00, if I wait to buy the week before travel: 550.00. sigh....

Thanks for the input guys, I will study the average wait times for the Montreal consulate and will make a decision from there (if I take a chance or not). For 150 bucks, it may be worth the risk... My flight if booked a month+ in advance; 150.00, if I wait to buy the week before travel: 550.00. sigh....

Yeah, it depends on the risk cost definitely. In the end, you will be the judge if it's too soon or not and eventually will know if it's worth the risk. Good luck and all the best to the upcoming interview! :)

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not really a good idea. It's highly suggested to book flights only when the visa is at hand. Some may say when the ceac status says "issued", but never ever book a flight so soon.

Agree! Only make reservations for dinner after the interview :lol: , refrain from making any definite travel or wedding reservations prior to having your passport in your hands with the visa enclosed. :thumbs:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

thx guys and gals!

Do NOT book a flight now. You have six months in which to travel once the K-1 is issued, so you have plenty of time to book the best flight, if that cost is a big deal.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you a gambler? Willing to gamble the cost of the flight? If so, go right ahead. It is not like you are screwing up the visa by jumping the gun too fast on buying the ticket in advance. The worst possible result is that you lose the cost of the plane ticket. If you don't mind gambling that sum of money, go right ahead.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When you see the K-1 in your passport, book the flight. (Unless you buy a fully refundable fare but that kind of goes against the idea that you're looking for the cheapest flights!)

I know it sounds crazy after waiting so long for the K-1, but those 3-4 weeks advance notice to buy the ticket will fly by once you have the visa in hand and you'll wish you had a little extra time to get ready for the big move, especially since you canNOT go back for several months after arrival.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I booked our flight the day of her interview since it was a lot cheaper to pay the $100 fee than to pay for the tickets closer to the intended date of departure. Since you are in Canada it shouldn't be too much more as you are closer to the US, but I would check with fellow Canadians first to see how long it took them to get their passports back after the interview.

-Jan 24th, 2014 sent in I-129F

-Jan 31ist, 2014 received NOA1 via text/email. Arrived at CSC

-Feb 4th, 2014 received Alien registration number.

-Feb 24th, 2014 received NOA2

-Mar 12, 2014 Arrived at Embassy

-Mar 20, 2014 Packet 3 sent to Embassy

-Mar 28, 2014 Received packet 3 instructions in mail

-Mar 25, 2014 Interview date set

-Apr 4, 2014 Interview.. approved :dancing:

-May 21, 2014 - PoE LV NV

-May 30, 2014 - Married

Filed: Timeline

After approval I received my visa within 4 days and booked my one way ticket the next day no problems.

If you book before your interview be prepared for a disappointment, even the consulate tells you not to book anything or quit your job until visa is in your hands.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.