JSW

Marc Ellis

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello again all,

So I have read several of you have used Marc Ellis and give glowing reviews about his ability, while one or two other dont like him. Personaly my experiences with lawyers still leaves be believing they are more akin to a bottom feeding fish... But I do recognise there use in the legal system and their experience on those issues.

Basicly I was interested in getting a professional view on my case so I called Marc for a cunsult. He was polite and cordial and apears to know his stuff (with 15 yrs in the trade there in HCM I would hope so). Long story short he belies my K-1 will be denied first time through due to my first trip coming up only being 1 week long and a past legal issue I had in 2005 involving a missplaced handgun and planed trip to Washington....needless to say I missed my flight and was a guest of the Elmwood correctional facility for 10 months in Santa Clara. Stupid...yes, all my fault...yes. It teaches me to search my luggage better before I pack for any trips. All that is over now I served the time and finnished probation I even was tutoring other inmates in math and algebra to help them get their GED's so I did all I could to prove it was an honest misteak on my part. That being said he "believes" he can help imensly on my case and probably get the approval of the K-1. Noting that my case will have to be "airtight" for it to go through and be approved. Now I understand that he will of course build himself up and talk doom and gloom so he can getthe work. I am sure he doesnt need my case but a smart buisnessman will always be looking to keep the work coming in. He is asking for $1500 to handle the case from start to finnish. The question being will my red flags out right deny my petition from the start If I try to handle this myself or is Mark good enough to make good on his word. The added cost of his service would be hard but if thats my only option then I will do what I have to and get a loan or work 12 hr days if I have to.

Thanks for the input and as always Best wishes everyone.

Scott

Timeline

Hi,

I am rather busy; however, I saw that you need help.

When I was in VN, Marc helped me to look at my document and tell me what I need to do for the interview.

I think that working on a case like your case, $1,500 is a good price for you.

My husband had to hire a law office in Seattle for $1,500 to apply fiance visa for me because my husband was very busy at that time. My husband is a military man, he served around 20 yrs for the military. It means our background is good and supports for our case, but the law office in Seattle charged him the same as yours. Then, at the end of our visa process, I had to ask Marc to help me in VN to prepare for the interview.

It is naturally that Marc Ellis cannot satisfy all his clients. He may loose some cases that he doesnot want to say to others. That's why there are some members didn't like him. However, Marc Ellis won more cases than lost cases.

I hope this could help.

He's very good and straight forward.I used him. Hiring a lawyer doesn't get you approved faster, most will get your paperwork filled out correctly and presented nicely. I encourage you to hire him if your not good at this type of work or don't have the time.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Timeline

Yes, this will be my first visit. for me its extreamly difficult to get away from work, and the financial cost of the traval and pay loss from time off of work makes repeated and prolonged visits impossable. I wish I could stay longer but I am pressing things with 8 days as it is. At this point after this visit me next one I could plan would be next year after I get some paid time off acrued at work and taxes come in.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't think the background issue for you is as much of the issue for denial as something else he may have noticed in the case timelin details etc. I dont think anyone that is proactive should expect a denial unless there is something out there waving as a huge red flag..

He knows his stuff and is very realistic having dealt with alot of difficult cases. This proccess can be expensive without an atty. and extra 1500 here and there should be expected...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I spoke with him in 2010 very briefly for a free consultation. He was very knowledgeable and honest about my chances for visa approval. If you decide to use an attorney, I think Marc Ellis would be the way to go :thumbs:

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Yes, this will be my first visit. for me its extreamly difficult to get away from work, and the financial cost of the traval and pay loss from time off of work makes repeated and prolonged visits impossable. I wish I could stay longer but I am pressing things with 8 days as it is. At this point after this visit me next one I could plan would be next year after I get some paid time off acrued at work and taxes come in.

Ask for a leave of absence for your second trip. I doubt if you would get denied from employer for these reasons. Get a 2nd job if money is tight, this process is not cheap even if you decide to do it yourself.

Buddha.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There is nothing that Marc could do legally to appeal your case should it be denied because technically a K1 is in an immigration grey area. But he is able to inquire about the case on your behalf.

The real value of retaining Marc and Nam's (they go together as a package for the $1500) is that Marc will tell you how to reduce the red flags according to your unique situation. He has seen a lot more cases in detail than we have reading here on VJ. I would take most members' experiences with a small grain of salt because a lot of times people will leave out a lot of details when telling their stories.

His office will assemble a kick-a$$ K1 petition package and the mock interviews are extremely valuable. Many don't like the way Nam conducts the interviews but almost every single uncomfortable question covered were asked by the investigator during the AP phone interviews, and 80% of regular questions were asked by the CO at the interview. I believe their involvement was a bit part of why we were in AP for such a short time given all the red flags we faced.

This is a long an expensive process and I don't think your case is that straight forward, so Marc would definitely be a good investment.

I see your biggest problem to be the getting engaged on the first meeting. If I were you I would either delay the engagement until next visit, then file. or file after the next visit. The CO is not only concerned about you bringing in somebody fraudulently, he is concerned that the beneficiary is using you to get into the country fraudulently.

Edited by tcTTct

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

in some rare cases Marc was able to get the case held in VN for a second review/interview after they denied and said it was being returned.. so he has been able to do what is not normally done...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Personally I don't think most need a lawyer and even Marc. If someone does hire a lawyer then Marc Ellis is the one. Some do need a lawyer badly as we saw recently of a member here.

Of course with this website it is easily done by oneself. There is really not much that Marc can do but as Scott said he has gone in and gotten the petition kept in VN consulate rather then sent back to the states and it has been a long time since I heard that done.

There is nothing that Marc could do legally to appeal your case should it be denied because technically a K1 is in an immigration grey area. But he is able to inquire about the case on your behalf.

The real value of retaining Marc and Nam's (they go together as a package for the $1500) is that Marc will tell you how to reduce the red flags according to your unique situation. He has seen a lot more cases in detail than we have reading here on VJ. I would take most members' experiences with a small grain of salt because a lot of times people will leave out a lot of details when telling their stories.

His office will assemble a kick-a$ K1 petition package and the mock interviews are extremely valuable. Many don't like the way Nam conducts the interviews but almost every single uncomfortable question covered were asked by the investigator during the AP phone interviews, and 80% of regular questions were asked by the CO at the interview. I believe their involvement was a bit part of why we were in AP for such a short time given all the red flags we faced.

This is a long an expensive process and I don't think your case is that straight forward, so Marc would definitely be a good investment.

I see your biggest problem to be the getting engaged on the first meeting. If I were you I would either delay the engagement until next visit, then file. or file after the next visit. The CO is not only concerned about you bringing in somebody fraudulently, he is concerned that the beneficiary is using you to get into the country fraudulently.

Mr.Nam don't fool around and is all business. Nam and the office girls are one of the biggest reasons my wife passed her interview. Like he said above, extensive interview prep and fiancee that was bound and determined to get here. Best money I ever spent and have recommended several people his way with no complaints.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

Buddha.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Mr.Nam don't fool around and is all business. Nam and the office girls are one of the biggest reasons my wife passed her interview.

Haha, it's funny that Nam told my fiancee that he was scared of little old me :) Maybe because I was always pushing him to get the next set of forms and steps filled out and ready. Marc and Nam were both at my engagement and had a good time. And I see you you Diem's facebook all the time :) She's a great girl.

Haha, it's funny that Nam told my fiancee that he was scared of little old me :) Maybe because I was always pushing him to get the next set of forms and steps filled out and ready. Marc and Nam were both at my engagement and had a good time. And I see you you Diem's facebook all the time :) She's a great girl.

You must be a tough one. I made Mr. Nam look like dwarf compared to me, but I doubt he was scared. lol. Congrats on your Visa!

Edited by Sayha or bust.

Buddha.

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Op- How many times have you visited. Based on what I've seen here, one visit always leads to denial specially given the short time you visited. Not sure how Marc would handle this.

Not True. I only had 1 trip under my belt, and we got approved. But my trip was for 6 weeks. We also used Marc Ellis.

Seeing as your trip is/was only 8 days, I would have to agree it would probably be denied.

Mr.Nam don't fool around and is all business. Nam and the office girls are one of the biggest reasons my wife passed her interview. Like he said above, extensive interview prep and fiancee that was bound and determined to get here. Best money I ever spent and have recommended several people his way with no complaints.

I highly recommend using Mr Ellis' services if you are unsure about the process or are concerned about possible RED FLAGS in your case. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The did practice interviews and took my fiance/wife to her medical exam so she was more comfortable.

They do prepare one heck of a packet. They are very thorough and MArc asjs all the right questions.

I will say this. Some people don't like Marc very much, but Hey! Who likes lawyers? :) Marc has a very straight forward and honest way of telling you how it is. He is direct and to the point. I assume some people find this rude or very abrasive. In my opinion, I dont want someone to hand-hold me, or tell me everything is ok, when it's not.

In this situation I would rather know the truth, and the steps needed to get an approval, even if that means waiting and making another trip.

Good luck

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.