39 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this site but not new since I've been scrolling through the topics for months to read and gather information about the k1 visa and the whole immigration process through marriage itself.

My boyfriend is a US citizen, we are planning to file I-129F soon. We met online and haven't met in person before. I'll be in the US visiting him and staying at his place for 9 days, I'll go later on this week. I'm 23 year old and I'm still a student in Hungary. I'm coming with the Visa Waiver Program and I've never been to the US before.

I'm a little nervous about the POE (which will be in Detroit btw).

Is it a red flag that we never met in person before, yet I'm staying at his place?

What should I say if they ask me whether he is a "friend" or "boyfriend"?

Any advices are much appreciated :)

1. Only if he files for the K1 visa before meeting you. You have to meet in person before filing, it's a requirement for the K1 visa.

2. He has to be your boyfriend/fiance to qualify for the K1, he can't be a "friend" it's a fiance(e) visa.

AOS

AOS EAD/AP sent: July 23rd

AOS EAD/AP received by USCIS( J Ibarra): July 25th

Email and Text Received: July 30th

NOA1 hard copy: August 4th

Biometrics letter received: August 18th

Biometrics appointment: August 29th

Biometrics completed: August 29th

EAD/AP approved: October 3rd

EAD/AP shipped with tracking number: October 9th

EAD/AP received: October 11th

Notice of potential inteview waiver letter received: November 17th

Dated: November 12th

EAD Renewal sent : June 11th

EAD Renewal NOA1 received: June 15th

Welcome letter received: July 2nd Dated: June 26th

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this site but not new since I've been scrolling through the topics for months to read and gather information about the k1 visa and the whole immigration process through marriage itself.

My boyfriend is a US citizen, we are planning to file I-129F soon. We met online and haven't met in person before. I'll be in the US visiting him and staying at his place for 9 days, I'll go later on this week. I'm 23 year old and I'm still a student in Hungary. I'm coming with the Visa Waiver Program and I've never been to the US before.

Is it a red flag that we never met in person before, yet I'm staying at his place?

So this is the first time you'll meet, and then you'll file for the I-129F, correct?

Just be honest. He is your boyfriend, and you are staying with him at his residence. There's nothing suspicious about that.

USAMEXflag-small.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just tell them the truth to any questions they ask. It's that easy.

This being your first time they may put you into secondary questioning. They did for my now-wife, but never gave her any trouble after that the other half dozen times she came over.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Good luck for you! But I would suggest you that y'all maybe meet more as one time? I know it's not important as long as y'all have seen each other AT LEAST one time, but maybe to find out how and if y'all getting along together for a longer time?

You see him for nine days... I don't want to judge you, I'm just always so impressed about people who met one time and for just a few days and are getting engaged then and want to get married!

But I hope it is all working out for you :-) good luck

Edited by Trisha89

K1

09 August 2013 - Mailed I-129F

12 August 2013 - TSC receipt Date NOA1

18 August 2013 - NOA1 hardcopy received

09 October 2013 - Alien Registration Number changed

23 January 2014 - Orderd Service Request

05 February 2014 - Answer from USCIS: Can't tell you any timeframe when we will approve this petition

14 February 2014 - VISA APPROVED NOA2 after 6 months and 2 days goofy.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gifgoofy.gifdancin5hr.gif

21 February 2014 - NOA2 hardcopy received in Mail // USCIS shipped petition to NVC

24 February 2014 - Medical Appointment - passed the medical :-)

03 March 2014 - Case arrived at NVC

06 March 2014 - We got our Case # & Case left the NVC... Online Status says "In TRANSIT" :-)

10 March 2014 - Case arrived at the Consulate...

15 March 2014 - Received Packet 3 // Sent Packet 3 off same day

22 March 2014 - Received Packet 4 - Interview on March 28, 2014

28 March 2014 - Interview appointment RESULT: Approved :-)))

02 April 2014 - Visa On Hand! :-)

06 April 2014 - Finally being with my Love <3 :)

20 June 2014 - Marriage <3, Key West, Florida

AOS

event.png

I wasn't asking about the K1 visa. I know that in order to file the K1 visa we have to meet at least 1 time in person.

Yes this will be the first time we met and then we will file for the I-129F. Ok now I'm a little less worried

Yes you were. The I-129F IS for a K1 visa.

AOS

AOS EAD/AP sent: July 23rd

AOS EAD/AP received by USCIS( J Ibarra): July 25th

Email and Text Received: July 30th

NOA1 hard copy: August 4th

Biometrics letter received: August 18th

Biometrics appointment: August 29th

Biometrics completed: August 29th

EAD/AP approved: October 3rd

EAD/AP shipped with tracking number: October 9th

EAD/AP received: October 11th

Notice of potential inteview waiver letter received: November 17th

Dated: November 12th

EAD Renewal sent : June 11th

EAD Renewal NOA1 received: June 15th

Welcome letter received: July 2nd Dated: June 26th

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I visited my then boyfriend 4 times before filing our petition and POE had always been Detroit. I was honest all the time and told the immigration officer that the purpose of my travel is to visit my boyfriend. I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you guys! :)

I am sorry but I think she only mentioned the K1 because she has been researching it and plans to file for it with her bf..not because she was filing for it now. :)

to the OP:

don't worry about it. Just tell them exactly how it is...you are visiting your bf. I had met my husband online also and the first time that is what I told them...meeting first time, excited and nervous :)

I would have to say though....we did meet 6 times in a year and a half....but good luck if you feel that filing K1 immediately after your visit is what you want to do ! :)

Wishing you all the best !

GC received on the 28th of February, 2014 - no interview, no additional RFE's

Divorced as of September, 2014

NOA1 for ROC 14 October, 2014

Life goes on, my ex-husband is a moron.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are planning to file an I-129f my recommendations: get all the

paper work filled out before you return to your country. Make copies

of receipts, plane tickets and take pictures of you and your fiance

together, then of you and him with his family seperatley. This

will save you alot of time trying to complete all this through the

mail after you return. VJ is a great help to complete all your

paperwork too. Go to the US embassy website from the county you live

in and get all the requirements of the K-1. Good Luck!!!!

I visited my then boyfriend in the US before we filed for K1, I entered with no issues. I just said, "I'm here to attend my boyfriend's graduation." and told them I was only staying for 2 weeks. Goodluck!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Just relax you're not doing anything wrong. You can say you're visiting your boyfriend or friends, whichever feels easier. At this point it doesnt matter, as long as you dont lie.

So be friendly, polite, smile, answer questions concisely, (nervous people babble) and relax.

You're allowed to have a boyfriend or fiancé or husband in another country. I visited my husband thrice before and during filing. I think the first time we met in person I said I was visiting friends, because you're never quite sure until you meet. We were engaged about 2 weeks after I went back to Canada. He came to live with me for just over a month in Canada. Almost 3 months later we were married and started our process in Oct 2012. 8 months later I was living in the USA. Weeeeeee. Back to Canada for my first visit since moving.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

no, she was asking how she should answer the people at POE. She clearly stated in her first post that she knows the requirements and how to file.

To the OP:

Just be honest, tell them you are visiting your boyfriend and tell them when you will be returning home. People visit their significant others every day without having any issues. You will be fine, and good luck!

Edited by mimolicious

Last time I entered I said I was visiting my boyfriend and the guy just stamped me right in, after asking for how long and staring at his computer screen for a weirdly long time lol

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.