Rwlaird

Visa Waiver Program for Ukraine

140 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Please consider signing this petition.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-ukrainian-citizens-90-day-entrance-usa-passport-without-visa/m0BDgkb5

7 countries in eastern Europe were added in 2008. This is one action that the US could take to support the Ukrainian people during this crisis.

VWP is not something granted only by choice. It is earned in part by having low visa refusal statistics, below 3% I believe. Ukraine has 26% refusal rate. http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY13.pdf

How can a country* join the VWP?

A country* must meet various requirements to be considered for designation in the Visa Waiver Program. Requirements include, but are not limited to:

• enhanced law enforcement and security-related data sharing with the United States;

• issuing e-Passports;

• having a visitor (B) visa refusal rate of less than three percent;

• timely reporting of both blank and issued lost and stolen passports; and

• maintenance of high counterterrorism, law enforcement, border control, and document security standards.

Designation as a VWP country* is at the discretion of the U.S. government. Meeting the objective requirements of the VWP does not guarantee a country* will receive VWP designation.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

VWP is not something granted only by choice. It is earned in part by having low visa refusal statistics, below 3% I believe. Ukraine has 26% refusal rate. http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY13.pdf

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

The 3-percent rejection rate threshold should not be a barrier to expanding the program. The system is designed to filter out people who would be disproportionately inclined to overstay their visas to the Untied States for economic reasons and thus add to the population of undocumented people here. Visa rejections on those grounds are inherently subjective, based on underinformed and largely intuitive judgments of embassy and consulate personnel.

http://www.cato.org/publications/free-trade-bulletin/expand-visa-waiver-program-qualified-countries

Timeline

7 additional countries were added in 2008, a few of them neighbors of Ukraine:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2008-11-16-visa-waiver-program-expands_n.htm

Edited by Rwlaird

Timeline

Czech Republic Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek said. "It is a removal of the last relic of communism and the Cold War . . ."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-10-17-visa-waiver_N.htm

If you really want to remove the last relic of the Cold War then this should be done for Ukraine.

Timeline

The US is not going to add a country to the VWP that is undergoing the problems that Ukraine is...no one would return. The US does not owe the planet's inhabitants a certain lifestyle. The high refusal rate coincides with a proportionally high abuse rate of visas. The consular officers have far more first hand experience with the situation (as it pertains to visa issuance, use and abuse) than others. A B2 visa is not designed to be some sort of rescue vehicle any time a particular country is having political/economic problems...bringing thousands of people here suddenly without economic support would mean flooding our work place with even more cheap labor. That would not be fair to American citizens, and would further erode our already struggling middle class.

Not signing this one.

I would not expect anyone who displays such an ignorance about the situation in Ukraine to sign such a petition to support people who are fighting hard to rid their country from tyrannical leadership and tyrannical neighbors. Ukrainians are proud of their country and would no more flood our country than other visa waivers countries such as Latvia, Singapore, or Greece. This would be another tool to show support of the Ukrainian people's aspirations of stronger ties to the west - not any sort of rescue vehicle to bring them to our lifestyle. Clueless!

Filed: Timeline

So with Ukraine in turmoil, just what would all those who choose to flee do here to pass the time? Watch TV? No. They would come here to find work. Few Ukrainians have the resources to camp out in the US for months on end without working. Once again, the US is not the world's police force, nor do American citizens have any legal or moral obligation to provide a better lifestyle for those who live in a country in which the standard of living is below ours. If Ukrainians wish to rid their country of poor leadership, handing over tourist visas (or the VWP privilege) will not bring about that end result. there is no connection between those two situations. If Ukrainians are so proud of their country, why would a single one overstay their tourist visa in the US? Yet, a significant percentage do, which is only one of many reasons they will not join the VWP any time soon. If Ukrainians truly have aspirations of being associated with the west, they should first abide by our laws in far greater numbers (as in, 100%, if what you say is true) before being given a privilege that has not yet been earned.

What 'ignorance' am I displaying? People are people. If the Ukraine was given the VWP today, by the end of the weekend, just how many Ukrainians would you estimate would be arriving at our airports? I would put the number in the thousands, with even more lined up at the airport in Ukraine. The wings of the aircraft carrying them all would be bowed considerably under the additional weight of the passengers and their luggage.

If you don't believe this would happen, then why include the Ukraine in the VWP at this time?

Filed: Timeline

A few years ago, Romania was given EU* status, with the '*' meaning they could travel freely within the EU, but were not authorized to work. Within weeks, the country emptied itself of the 20-35 year olds, who, when offered the easy chance to leave, left. And guess what they did when they arrived in another EU country? Nope. They were not going to EuroDisney...they were working. Human history repeats itself constantly.

If the Ukraine would be mistakenly given the VWP, especially now, the population would halve itself quickly. Despotic leaders are always supporting a visa program that would rid a country of its poor, disenfranchised or those who protest too much, and foist those folks upon another country, where the taxpayers of the receiving country would have to shoulder the burden of supporting the newly arriving folks, with our tax dollars. Sorry. The US of A needs to take care of itself first.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had no idea that VWP status could be granted to countries just so they can feel better about themselves

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Ignorance Display Exhibit A: “the” Ukraine. That’s like saying “the” Utah.

Ukraine is not New Orleans. The people there are not begging to be rescued and hoping that someone will charter a plane and fly them out. It is a nation of industrious, resourceful, and courageous people with aspirations and ambitions for a better future in their country free of tyrants. The people in the streets of Kiev fought for freedom at the risk of their lives, many of them giving their lives. It is downright offensive to characterize them as couch potatoes who want to come mooch off of us. The VWP would not entitle them to come to the US. to live, only a temporary visit. In addition to the VWP there are many economic and political measures that we can implement to support them, all short of military action. Today the EU removed trade tariffs on Ukraine which will help their industries be more successful, not help them move to another country to mooch. It is time that the U.S. stand up and show them that we support their quest for true freedom and democracy.

Timeline

Here are 11 more things that can be done to stand up for freedom and against tyranny.

1. Implement rules against organized crime. Gazprom is a prime example because its management and state top officials tap some $30 billion from that company each year. According to current legal standards, European financial institutions should not be allowed to deal with the big Russian state companies. To a large extent, the United States has already implemented such rules.

2. Exclusion from the US banking system. Russia’s economy, unlike that of the Soviet Union, is heavily dependent on Western trade and investment. It must be made clear to the Kremlin that the Ukraine invasion will put that at risk. (This is very tough and a last resort).

3. Implement rigorous rules against money laundering. This would apply existing legislation on money laundering European Union has already sanctioned Belarusian and Ukrainian authoritarian kleptocrats. Why not go after the worst kleptocrats in Moscow? This could work since many Russian state officials have bank accounts in EU countries.

4. In the future, an EU gas boycott and reduce gas imports from Russia. One quarter of Russia’s exports consist of gas that is almost exclusively exported through pipelines to Europe at excessive prices and under dubious contracts. To reduce European dependence on Russia, the US should allow free LNG exports to Europe and work to build up an LNG supply infrastructure. This would allow Europe to turn the tables on Gazprom. Russia is not a reliable supplier as proven after its prior gas supply cuts in 2006 and 2009. In the meantime, the EU may cheaply replace Gazprom’s gas with LNG and gas from Norway. If the European Union sanctions Russia’s gas supply to Europe, Russia would lose $100 billion

5. Suspend Russia’s membership in the G-8 to reduce Russia global prestige. This should happen along other measures to emphasize Russia’s lawless status.

6. Place travel bans on Putin, his family and closest supporters. This would send a strong message to Putin that he is persona non-grata in the international community.

7. Enact trade sanctions against Russia. While Russia’s WTO membership limits the scope for sanctions, there could be room to act against certain Russian products.

8. Suspension of NATO cooperation and participation. Suspend the NATO-Russia Council and halt cooperation between NATO and Russia.

9. Accelerate missile defense programs in Russia’s near abroad. One of Russia’s top concerns when it comes to U.S. policy has been the instillation of a missile defense network in Poland and the Czech Republic. The Obama administration has dialed back some other programs to reduce Russian fears.

10. If needed, NATO forces, consistent with the organization’s contingency planning, should be put on alert. High readiness for some immediate airlift to Europe of U.S. airborne units would be politically and militarily meaningful.

11. Most importantly, other measures should include vastly more support for Ukraine and including a large loan/aid package (which has been done). It is vital to get Ukraine through its immediate financial crisis. Then join with the E.U. to extend a longer substitute package, preferably through the International Monetary Fund.5. Suspend Russia’s membership in the G-8 to reduce Russia global prestige. This should happen along other measures to emphasize Russia’s lawless status.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

If Ukrainians want to go to the US as tourists then there's a tourist visa.

The US sets criteria for a countries admission into VWP, Ukraine doesn't qualify.

It's that simple. Or do you want to give VWP privileges to every country in turmoil?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Czech Republic Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek said. "It is a removal of the last relic of communism and the Cold War . . ."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-10-17-visa-waiver_N.htm

If you really want to remove the last relic of the Cold War then this should be done for Ukraine.

You're rhetorics is really really funny. Poland - which sent troops to about every place US decided to fight war at still can't make it to VWP and you want Ukraine to join because of the mess they partially created themselves (last thing I remember they elected Janukowycz for their president) ? Funny.... And what the turmoil there had to do with it ? You want make it easier to illegally immigrate for them ? Sounds like it.....