deleted-05292014

Man accidentally kills self with gun during demonstration on gun safety

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Man Accidentally Kills Self With Gun During Demonstration On Gun Safety

Gun Violence

Paige Lavender | 02/25/2014

A man from Independence Township, Michigan accidentally shot and killed himself on Monday while teaching his girlfriend about gun safety, the Oakland Press reports.

The 36-year-old, whose name has not been released, was showing his girlfriend how his three handguns are safe when they arent loaded, according to the Detroit Free Press. He was attempting to demonstrate the safety of the handguns by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger.

The third gun fired, and the man was struck in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Three children ages 7, 10, and 12 were in the home but did not witness the shooting, according to reports. The man's girlfriend told authorities he had been drinking most of the day before the incident took place.

This isn't the first time a gun safety demonstration has gone wrong. In January 2013, 18-year-old Florida resident Alexander Xavier Shaw died doing a similar demonstration. Richard M. McLean, a 22-year-old from Michigan, died in a similar fashion in June 2012. Missouri resident James Looney, 40, was also teaching his girlfriend about gun safety when he shot himself in the head in September 2009.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST

SLIDESHOW

People Who Want More Guns In Schools

ttp://huff.to/1hlHquy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! More Natural Selection ! I Luvs It !

[gotta stop the tide of moral decay somehow, y'all]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I don't much about gun safety; but I really thought the first rule was: Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Who cares really? As long as those precious second amendment rights aren't in jeopardy. A gun owner shoots himself? He's too stupid to live, a guy shoots his friend? His friend deserved to die for not doing what he was told, a guy shoots someone in the cinema? The victim should have known better than to challenge someone with a gun. No remorse, no sadness, no, observations that maybe the person with the gun shouldn't have made that decision, that maybe it was foolish, wrong and resulted in a death that could easily have been prevented, no, the victim deserved it and the shooter has the moral high ground. Unbelievable really.

Well said. Deserves more recognition than simply a +1.

I don't much about gun safety; but I really thought the first rule was: Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

You would think so. Clearly the guy was drinking and playing with guns, a lethal combination. A terrible choice and an unsurprising outcome but it's still sad, he still had a family, he didn't deserve to die for being a fool.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Depending on who you ask that rule is usually in the top 2. It goes along with don't let the muzzle cover anything you don't want to shoot.

Depending on who you ask that rule is usually in the top 2. It goes along with don't let the muzzle cover anything you don't want to shoot.

These are the first rules you learn about guns. And you keep them in mind every time you handle a firearm. Guns and alcohol don't mix, just as drinking and driving don't mix.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've had some hand gun safety training before and I don't remember the part where you put the gun to your head.

i missed hearing that in my classes too.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Guns and alcohol don't mix, just as drinking and driving don't mix.

And cars are controlled. Drivers should be trained and licenced, yet some still get behind the wheel after drinking and kill themselves, or other drivers, or innocent bystanders.

The common factor is the human being. Sometimes, as in this case, they f*** it up and pay the price. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

And cars are controlled. Drivers should be trained and licenced, yet some still get behind the wheel after drinking and kill themselves, or other drivers, or innocent bystanders.

The common factor is the human being. Sometimes, as in this case, they f*** it up and pay the price. sad.png

There are laws that put you in jail for drinking and driving and making that bad decision, there should be similar laws governing alcohol and guns. Too many Americans think it's funny to get the gun out when drunk. It's not funny, it's stupid and dangerous.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .