thedude6752000

Need Help--Feel Like My Marriage is Already Crumbling

77 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow.....3 years is a long time. I have only been separated from my husband 9 months and it feels like an eternity. I can't imagine 3 years. I wanted to say that I think being lonely and tired of the fight at this point is probably normal. The long waits alone is enough to create doubts in our minds. Throw in cultural and religious differences to make an already difficult relationship even harder. But it can be overcome.

I believe everyone is right in suggesting that you talk to someone about your feelings and worries. That way you can get some relief and sort out your own feelings before talking to your wife. She may be having the same thoughts. Friends and family can be too bias, though they mean well. Someone objective and professional is a better option.

As I am Muslim, I can tell you divorce is allowed. Islam only encourages couples to try every option to make the marriage work but in the end if divorce is needed their is no shame. Culture is a different story. Often times depending on what country a Muslim is from people confuse the religion with the culture.

While I have dreamed about a happy everafter marriage when my husband gets here I know the reality is that the first year will be hard. Culture shock and home sickness, finding a job, getting a license, etc.......While I was with my husband and happy I never thought about these things. Now as time goes by I do and yes, I worry about the impact on my marriage. We all have doubts at times but we draw strength from our spouses to face obstacles. The separation of the immigration process robs us of that so that you feel like you are in this alone.

Don't feel like you are a villain.......you are only human. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. I will say if you do decide to bring your wife here you are fortunate to live in the DC area where there is a large Muslim community. That will help her through the transition and the Muslim community can be very helpful when possible.

I don't know exactly where you live, but based on your VJ location, I googled and came up with this:

https://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/OMH-default.htm

There are so many options for assistance in times like these, but you have to be the one to search them out. Good luck man, feeling as you do is not fun.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

You MUST go back to see her and THEN decide whether you want a divorce...also tell how about your depression...! I hope it works out for you, I know what it is like to be depressed....good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You know what the real kicker is? When I went online to look for advice, most places gave something along these lines: take a 6 month "cooling off period" to see what life will be like without them! HAHA! Well-f*cking_played universe!

For your exact situation,

is OK to seek a solution online,

but you need a human in front of you,

telling you stuff, instead.

Get the @#$ck off of the computer, seek a human. You need face-to-face time.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Why do I think these things? I am so lonely and desperate. I don't want to leave my wife. But I don't want to stay with her either. Why does the US government do this to their own citizens?????????????

The Dude,

If you love some one, then have a courage to face the consequences, Loving someone is easy to be with the person you love and facing the issues are different thing, if you love her then keep loving her and bring her here and start your life, things get better, day by day ... keep the Faith ...

15th Feb 2013 (Married)

03rd-Jun-13 NOA1 (Priority Date)

12th-Jun-13 NOA1 Hard Copy

17th-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 1

18th-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 2

23rd-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 3

26th-Dec-13 Hard Copy Transferred to Nebraska (NSC)

21st-Feb-14 NOA2 Approved Email 1

25th-Feb-14 NOA2 Approved Email 2

27th-Feb-14 NOA2 Hard Copy

10th-Mar-14 NVC received approved documents

10th-April-14 NVC assigned case number

12th April-14 AOS Fees

14th April-14 AOS Package sent

16th April-14 Submit DS261

23rd April-14 Recieve IV Bill

24th April-14 IV Fees

16th May-14 Sent IV Package

6th June-14 package received by NVC

10th July 2014 Case completed

10th July 2014 Interview letter

Interview 19 Aug 2014 "Thank God" *Approved* :yes:

25th August 2014 *Passport Received*

Late to the party here and somebody might have already said this but...

Depression can be caused by a lot of things and a lot of times we can somehow let our depression act as a blanket for all the other things we are going through, and then sometimes it's just the opposite. You may be depressed due to the circumstances of your relationship and your marriage, or that could just be another addition and the reason you are handling the stress the way you are is because you're already clinically depressed and may have been for a while. It's a chemical in balance and a lot of the time one incident and one difficult circumstance isn't going to trigger depression, it's a multitude of things.

In my opinion, if you generally feel like your relationship is causing a rift in your mental stability, and you are almost numb feeling to the thought of being in the relationship, to the point where you want to talk to other women etc, you should end it. It's not fair to you and it's not fair to her. You can't stay in a relationship because you're afraid to hurt their feelings or afraid of how they will react, that's not a substantial means for carrying on a relationship, and to me, that doesn't even seem like it would be a relationship anymore. You can focus on yourself, maybe talk to a therapist, explore your medical options, and then once you are okay, then you can explore the idea of sharing your life with someone again. Depression is a really REALLY selfish illness and it's out of your control, you can get so consumed with your own thoughts and feelings that even if you wanted to, you can't relate to other people. It's like an imaginary wall. Same with anxiety, it feels like it can hurt you, and ultimately hurt the people around you, and it's out of your hands.

I am speaking from experience (not the same situation exactly) but I know what it feels like when you cannot even trust your own choices and you have a million different decisions in your head but the depression makes you want to choose the easy way out. It gets better, you just need to make the first step, and sometimes it's healthier to be single in doing so, especially if your partner really isn't in the position to guide you through this.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by justfromerica

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Filed: Other Timeline

I hope OP seeks and get help but judging from his past posts

it seem that by nature he may be someone with a personality

that's wants it today screw the others....I do sympathize with

his position, but many here wait & have waited longer , sadly,

when going through such pain one should seek therapy also

spiritual guidance & never just spew hate.

I hope OP seeks and get help but judging from his past posts

it seem that by nature he may be someone with a personality

that's wants it today screw the others....I do sympathize with

his position, but many here wait & have waited longer , sadly,

when going through such pain one should seek therapy also

spiritual guidance & never just spew hate.

Honestly, I don't think there are very many here who have waited as long or longer than him. There may be a few but, for the most part, three years is pretty rare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Dude...

I haven't read through all the pages, so if I missed out the most current, I apologize.

Clinical depression is a killer of all joys. Been there and experienced it all for a long long time. It robs you of so much in your life. You are not in right state of mind to make life decisions like marriage/divorce. What you really need urgently is to get help from a psychiatrist/therapist, maybe both. For those prone to depression, a process as complicated, stressful, as sponsoring your spouse, can take a real toll. I would just advise you to take care of your being by reaching out for help. Life can be full of joy and you will make clearer decisions when it's not all foggy you know. Please reach out.

Naturalized citizen since September 2018

I485
08/15/2007 Filed AOS based on approved I140, EB3 category (Employment Based). Received RFE and responded....Pending since then.
I-130 Timeline:
07/03/13 - I-130 packet sent
07/05/13 - I-130 packet delivered
07/10/13 - NOA 1 with PD 07/05/13
Last touched 07/10/13
12/9/13 - Case update to "transferred to another office for processing" and received text and email alert.
12/10/13 - Case update "transferred to local USCIS office for processing"
12/12/13- Case update "transferred and being processed at a USCIS office"
12/14/13 - Received 2 hard copies stating transferred to California Service Center, left Priority Date blank
2/5/2014- Email/Txt I130 approved and notice mailed.
2/10/2014-Hard Copy NOA2. Approval
Back to I485
2/21/2014-Letter sent to request conversion for old I485 from employment to marriage with copy of I485 receipt and I130 approval
03/19/2014 - Service request to check on conversion request status.
04/04/2014 - Service request status through mail stating request received for conversion and file being prepared for transfer to local office.
04/08/2014 - I485 updated to "transferred to local office"
04/12/2014 - Received transfer notice in mail stating file transferred from Nebraska to NBC Lee Summit, Montana (so disappointed as I thought it was at local office now).
04/14/2014- emailed Nebraska and scopscata to see what's going on with file due to conflicting info I've gotten and NBC doesn't even show processing I485.
04/14/2014- Got response from scopscata saying will look into email, forward to resolution team.
04/14/2014- I485 updated to "485 was transferred and is now being processed at USCIS office"
04/25/2014- Text message and case update online "testing and interview" stage.
05/06/2014- Text message and case update online with interview date of June 11, 2014.
06/05/2014-Notice sent by NYC acting district director/office that interview date is Aug 21, 2014.....??????????? No change online
06/11/2014 - Interview for AOS. I130 was already attached. Approved and got passport stamped. YAY. Thank God.
06/19/2014 - Case updated online with text and email saying new card mailed.....

06/21/2014-Condtional GC received along with welcome letter.

ROC

04/06/2016- Filed I-751 along with evidence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I don't know if this is a passing thing for you or not, Dude. I've regretted making the decision to move back here. I've apologized to everyone involved more than once. I don't know how I would have dealt with it if we'd been apart in the beginning of our marriage. At this point, knowing that you're probably dealing with clinical depression, I would not cancel the process. You're not in a good frame of mind to be making massive life-altering changes. Stay the course for now, please, get some help, from someone, and then reassess your thoughts on the situation. Depression can wreak havoc on your thought processes. But I wouldn't make any decisions until I knew I was in a better mental and emotional state.

Oh, and btw, I don't think that a Christian marrying a Muslim is that big of a difference or a big deal, unless you make it one. It might just be a cultural thing? I don't know. From my outsider perspective, it's the same God, just a different form of worshiping Him. As long as you can both refrain from claiming your way is the only right way, I really don't see why it should be a bone of contention.

Just ditto on what Kaylara said about inter-religious marriages. Hubby Christian, me Hindu. It's the same God. It is doable with love, respect, understanding, and compromises.

Depression robs you from being able to view things same as others. Like glasses...you can't even trust yourself anymore. Your self esteem takes a toll. You feel like the bad person you are... Would you really want to make serious decisions when you can't view life/situations the way it really is. please reach out for help. I promise life can be much more different.

Naturalized citizen since September 2018

I485
08/15/2007 Filed AOS based on approved I140, EB3 category (Employment Based). Received RFE and responded....Pending since then.
I-130 Timeline:
07/03/13 - I-130 packet sent
07/05/13 - I-130 packet delivered
07/10/13 - NOA 1 with PD 07/05/13
Last touched 07/10/13
12/9/13 - Case update to "transferred to another office for processing" and received text and email alert.
12/10/13 - Case update "transferred to local USCIS office for processing"
12/12/13- Case update "transferred and being processed at a USCIS office"
12/14/13 - Received 2 hard copies stating transferred to California Service Center, left Priority Date blank
2/5/2014- Email/Txt I130 approved and notice mailed.
2/10/2014-Hard Copy NOA2. Approval
Back to I485
2/21/2014-Letter sent to request conversion for old I485 from employment to marriage with copy of I485 receipt and I130 approval
03/19/2014 - Service request to check on conversion request status.
04/04/2014 - Service request status through mail stating request received for conversion and file being prepared for transfer to local office.
04/08/2014 - I485 updated to "transferred to local office"
04/12/2014 - Received transfer notice in mail stating file transferred from Nebraska to NBC Lee Summit, Montana (so disappointed as I thought it was at local office now).
04/14/2014- emailed Nebraska and scopscata to see what's going on with file due to conflicting info I've gotten and NBC doesn't even show processing I485.
04/14/2014- Got response from scopscata saying will look into email, forward to resolution team.
04/14/2014- I485 updated to "485 was transferred and is now being processed at USCIS office"
04/25/2014- Text message and case update online "testing and interview" stage.
05/06/2014- Text message and case update online with interview date of June 11, 2014.
06/05/2014-Notice sent by NYC acting district director/office that interview date is Aug 21, 2014.....??????????? No change online
06/11/2014 - Interview for AOS. I130 was already attached. Approved and got passport stamped. YAY. Thank God.
06/19/2014 - Case updated online with text and email saying new card mailed.....

06/21/2014-Condtional GC received along with welcome letter.

ROC

04/06/2016- Filed I-751 along with evidence

your probably missing your wife too much.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center : NBC

Consulate : South Africa

Marriage : 2012-09-05

I-130 Sent : 2013-02-02

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-02-16

Case Transfer to NYC Field Office : 2013-03-22

I-130 NOA2: 2013-10-21 (email)

NVC Received Case: 2013-10-23

NVC Case # Assigned: 2013-11-04

AOS & IV Bills Invoiced: 2013-11-07

AOS & IV Bills Appear PAID: 2013-11-13

DS-260 Submitted: 2013-11-18

Request for AOS & IV cover sheets to be emailed to me: 2013-11-29

Received NVC Email of Bar-Coded Cover Sheet: 2013-12-2

AOS & IV Package Sent: 2013-12-9

Received Checklist (false?): 2013-12-10

DS-260 Reviewed / Approved: 2013-12-10

AOS & IV Package Received: 2013-12-12

IV Package Reviewed / Approved: 2014-1-07

AOS Package Reviewed BUT checklist: 2014-1-07

Received AOS checklist: 2014-1-08

Respond to AOS checklist: 2014-1-14

Checklist Response Received by NVC: 2014-1-17

Checklist Response in System: 2014-1-23

Case Complete: 2014-2-11

Interview Date Scheduled: 2014-2-28

Received P4 Email: 2014-3-1

Interview: 2014-4-8

Case File "In Transit": 2014-3-5

Consulate Recieved Case File: 2014-3-10

Medical Appointment: 2014-3-24

Visa Approved: 2014-4-8

Visa in Hand: 2014-4-10

Removal of Conditions: Filed in March 2016.

NOA1 : 2016-04-18

Biometrics: 2016-06-06

Approval: 04/21/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Are you originally indian too ?

If yes, find a indian professional to help you, She/he knows about your culture. you need at least 6-12 months the professional help to fix yourself.

May be the doctor tells you don't make divorce . May be your wife can help you. If your wife is not strong enough to handle or help to fix your problem. I think divorce make her happy more than other thing.Let's your wife knows about your problem. . She should know what is waiting for her when she arrive in USA.

Anyway if she couldn't help you, your marriage will be in risk in US too.

If she doesn't know about your problem,

Ask yourself.

Divorce before come in US or divorce after she come in US, which one is okay for you.

your brain's hormones start to change by depression, also it is normal your feeling get different about her. Just take a

professional help.

Edited by Me_Theo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.